An Example Of Good Investigative Journalism In The Philippines

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Agree, interesting and very informative.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

"Good Investigative Journalism In The Philippines"

So the heading was a good teaser to get me to read the article.  Very informative.   Searching closely you will find it was written by:

MARIA A. RESSA

Maria has been a journalist in Asia for more than 25 years, most of them as CNN’s bureau chief in Manila then Jakarta. She became CNN’s lead investigative reporter focusing on terrorism in Southeast Asia and wrote "Seeds of Terror: An Eyewitness Account of al-Qaeda’s Newest Center of Operations in Southeast Asia" (Free Press, 2003). The book was the first from the region documenting the growth of Jemaah Islamiyah and its links to Al-Qaeda.
  • Like 5

jon1
Posted
Posted

It is all spot on about the complex social ties. I do not ever see the problem getting fixed in my lifetime. There is too much money in it for the "rebels" and kidnapping industry. Most of the people are kidnapped by the same corrupt policemen and military then "sold" to the ASG. The ASG then gets a much bigger ransom for the victim.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

MANILA, Philippines – Many are asking how Malaysian Zulkifli bin Hir, one of Southeast Asia’s most wanted terrorists, has evaded arrest in the Philippines since 2003.

The answer is simple: he burrowed into the fabric of Philippine society in often lawless areas that one US special forces officer called “impenetrable.”

Well. I don't know how much truth it is in it, because I try to STAY AWAY from such people   :)     but from several sourses I have heared criminals wanted by Interpol live OPEN in the Philippines by bribing the police...

(E g one abandonded Filipina wife claim her high wanted by Interpol American husband can live open in Metro Manila (or perhaps she ment the region a bit more north) without problem and have even took their daughter. NO reaction from Police or politicians, although she try to tell "everyone"...  I know only her first name, and not her husband's name, so I can't check how much truth it is in it.)

• Like 1