Ombudsman Fighting Corruption

Thomas
Posted
Posted

The Philippines have got the Swedish word "Ombudsman"   :)     and they seem to try to use it GOOD to fight corruption, but hard when the court system is as it is, including being extremly slow...

http://www.rappler.com/nation/82945-ombudsman-sandiganbayan-performance-plummets-2014

(Their marks, not mine.) Ombudsman, Sandiganbayan performance plummets in 2014

Due to slow case disposal and new cases filed by the Ombudsman, the special anti-graft court’s case load at the start of 2015 balloons to 3,093 unresolved cases

MANILA, Philippines – The latest data released by the Office of the Ombudsman and the Sandiganbayan points to a slowdown in the fight against graft and corruption.

According to data on the number of criminal charges filed by the Office of the Ombudsman against high-ranking public officials, there appeared to be a significant drop in the number of cases filed in 2014 compared to 2013.

The yearend summary of cases pending and disposed at the Sandiganbayan showed only 452 new cases filed in 2014 by the Office of the Ombudsman. This is less than half the 2013 total of 969.

Part of the newly filed cases were the 3 plunder cases and 42 counts of graft charges against businesswoman Janet Lim Napoles, the alleged mastermind behind the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) scam.

Indictments in the PDAF cases included one plunder case each for Senators Ramon Revilla Jr., Juan Ponce Enrile, and Jose "Jinggoy" Estrada, along with 16, 15, and 11 counts of graft for the three senators, respectively. (READ: 3 PH senators charged with plunder over PDAF scam)

The 2014 Sandiganbayan data showed that its new cases were comprised of:

• 150 graft charges
  • 89 counts of malversation of public funds or properties
  • 56 cases of infidelity in the custody of documents/prisoners
  • 22 counts of falsification of public documents, and
  • 135 various other cases

The Sandiganbayan also appeared to show plummeting performance, with its case disposal dropping from 480 in 2013 to only 277 in 2014.

Due to the slow case disposal – compounded by new cases filed by the Ombudsman – the special anti-graft court’s case load at the start of 2015 ballooned to 3,093 unresolved cases. That count is the highest in 13 years, with 3,196 pending cases posted at the year's end of 2001 being the last high point for unresolved cases.

Since the Sandiganbayan expanded to its present composition of 5 divisions, the lowest case disposal rate was posted in 2010 with 247 cases, followed by 275 cases resolved in 2005.

The disposal record for 2014 was the court’s fourth-worst mark in its 35-year existence. Comparatively, the lowest number of cases disposed was 217, recorded in 1979 when there was only one division composed of 3 justices.

• Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

It's good to have confirmation that corruption is being fought in by some in the PI. It was a hopeful sign when my wife's uncle, who was known as "the only honest policeman in Cebu", became an Inspector in the NBI.

What will it take for the judicial system to be sufficiently reformed?

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
What will it take for the judicial system to be sufficiently reformed?

IMO  a complete change in the attitude of the populace as a whole. It seems to me that almost everyone views corruption as a given and accept it as the norm. Something to complain about, point their finger at but take advantage of if they are offered the chance itself.

Example: Almost every Filipino I know points at traffic enforcers and says they are corrupt. But when they are tagged for a violation will try and slip the enforcer some cash to avoid the hassle of handing over their license, waiting 3 days then fight the traffic going to the office, paying the fine, getting their license back.

Personal example: When we built our house we went to the time and effort to get all the required permits (to include a height permit because we are near the airport, and we were building a 2 story house, even though we have a 7 story building near by lololz). Paid top dollar (peso) and used the best materials available.  When the city inspectors showed up, the wife and my brother in law insisted that I take a walk so the inspectors wouldn't see the rich Kano and had a couple of envelops ready with some cash to hand the guys at the threshold. Despite all my protestations that we had nothing to fear I was shouted down with "That's the way its done" and "We don't want them to make problems for us".

The poor here are just trying to make ends meet and institutional corruption really doesn't affect their day to day life. The middle class (who grew up during martial law) see it as a problem to big to handle and just accept it as a part of life, and the upper classes see the apathy and take advantage of it.

I see and hear different examples almost on a daily basis but I have rambled enough for one post :morning1: Besides im out of coffee

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

That's one of the things I like about here in Davao... The mayor knows it's here but works hard to keep it out of his city! A couple examples? A traffic enforcer was recently given the boot for demanding and accepting a bribe. He was caught on the cctv traffic cameras. An Indian national was charging the students in his boardinghouse for extra (scam) charges. Charges against him are being drawn up. And the BI office was told to stop harassing tourists and expats or he would shoot them (BI Officers) himself... Something like that.. I'm still half asleep at the moment... Hehe!

:D

Edited by i am bob
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Something like that.. I'm still half asleep at the moment... Hehe
ME TOO :thumbsup:

The Davao mayor is a hero to most. What is amazing to the western mind is why more either do not follow his example or the populace as a whole don't demand it? I know the answer I believe but to us foreigners it just boggles the mind :1 (103):

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Something like that.. I'm still half asleep at the moment... Hehe

ME TOO :thumbsup:

The Davao mayor is a hero to most. What is amazing to the western mind is why more either do not follow his example or the populace as a whole don't demand it? I know the answer I believe but to us foreigners it just boggles the mind :1 (103):

A lot of people want him to run for president... One of the reasons he gives for not running is that he would not be able to accomplish much against the Old Boy Network... If he does run (and wins), he wants the ability to change the entire government process. I won't go into the yes and nos of this... Suffice to say that I believe the peso will go up on the world market and I don't think I could afford to stay long if that happened!

• Like 4