Prenuptial Not Necessary?

bows00
Posted
Posted

Since it is illegal to divorce in the Philippines, is it unnecessary to arrange a prenuptial to protect your accumulated wealth?  Or is your wealth automatically split 50/50 between you and your wife at marriage? 

I am afraid I will not like the answers posted here... I worked too hard all my life to give it all up now...

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Well. There are more countries than the Philippines. You can marry and divorce in other country even if you marru a Filipina.

ONE serious sourse published saying prenup is "automatic" in Phils, but I don't know what that mean, because of the reason you wrote.

A Filipino website where mainly law STUDENTS answer law questions for free, they said in a separation the MAN could decide over the BUSINESS, because it was in his name.  But I SUPPOUSE the value of such is included if/when spliting assets.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thomas is correct. As an American citizen you can divorce your wife.

It would be wise locating major assets outside Philippines for a number of good reasons including your question.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
for a number of good reasons

Like life expectancy lololol

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Not too sure a Pre-Nup would stand up in court here, even on Annulments. ( Which Bows is the Philippine equivalent of Divorce).

They work very much on the Dependency issues ie Shared Things, Of course the land will always be hers, Every Filipino I have met has always had a 50/50 thrown at them on Separation  But................... think about the Vows we make, take this one out and I doubt she would have married you.

AND WITH ALL MY WORLDLY GOODS, I THEE ENDOW . 

Morning All.

JP :tiphat:  :morning1:

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

A friend of mine said to me many years ago, Whatever you bring into this country you aint taking it back out. Which I think is a very accurate and true statement. I will always leave enough outside of the phills to start again for a few years if the need arose.Morning Jack is our favourite sari store open yet?

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Morning Jack is our favourite sari store open yet?

:mocking:  Yup! on me way  down in a while. :rolleyes:

post-2148-0-38805500-1423101501.jpg +  post-2148-0-98249200-1423101537.jpg = Good Mood.

:unsure:  Ooooooooooooops sorry Bosses and All, just a slight Digression here with me Mate. :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

A friend of mine said to me many years ago, Whatever you bring into this country you aint taking it back out. Which I think is a very accurate and true statement. I will always leave enough outside of the phills to start again for a few years if the need arose.Morning Jack is our favourite sari store open yet?

Oh I absolutely agree sonjack2847. Funnel money in at the most quarterly as needed by whichever means works best would be the best approach IMHO. 

• Like 2

ironmaiden
Posted
Posted

When you are married then everything you 2 have is automatically 50/50 upon divorce. Unless you have a prenup, but if you buy a house then the land is of course for her, if the house is in your name then that can be yours...It might thus not be much different from the 50/50 situation...

Curley
Posted
Posted

Perhaps look at it a different way if you're afraid to lose your hard earned nest egg.

Why do you want to get married?

SHE wants it?

What would she do if you refused nicely?

She would have the choice of trying to find another "rich" foreigner or accepting the life you offer without any strings....... just a thought......

• Like 2