Prenuptial Not Necessary?

Thomas
Posted
Posted

My wife is connected to groups on FB that who's theme mainly are Americans married to Filipinas. Here in the US, from what she reads quite often, it's a common strategy for the man who brings the fiancee over to marry (K-1) to blind side her and tell her shortly before the marriage ceremony to sign a pre-nup. The man keeps it close to his vest till she's actually in the states to keep the family mostly out of influencing her to counter with...whatever. Of course he's going to protect his assets in case there's a long term strategy with less than desirable intentions on her part. She usually will sign (although bewildered) but if she's smart will tell him to add a "sunset clause" so long term they can live like a normal couple. In other words he's saying, I don't trust you and she's countering with - I can go with that as long as you can go with the fact that one day you will as time will prove it out.

Actualy I plan to SUGGEST MYSELF something like that.

=In prenup I protect MOST of my assets,

BUT:

§1. She GET some value DIRECT  (Probably land or part of land depending of how much it cost.  "Part of land" =If it cost much, some loan will be connected to the land and her.  Because it's FAIR she get some protection TOO, because there are a lot of "bad men" out there  :)  and as I can't be totaly sure she will not try to scam me, she can't be totaly sure I'm not a bad man.)

§2. Step by step during the years, perhaps starting after 7 years, because many couple split within 7 years  :)    I will let more and more of the prenup protected part, belong to both of us.  If she behave good, she and the kids will get all finaly anyway  :)    (asuming I die before her).

• Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted

The original question was .....

Since it is illegal to divorce in the Philippines, is it unnecessary to arrange a prenuptial to protect your accumulated wealth?  Or is your wealth automatically split 50/50 between you and your wife at marriage?

No matter that the majority of members here have good experiences (those with bad experiences tend to leave) the sensible answer is to say YES HAVE A PRENUP If your girl is genuine she will understand the reasoning behind it. As Thomas says you can lessen the restrictions as time go by or even transfer somethings into her name.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

The original question was .....

Since it is illegal to divorce in the Philippines, is it unnecessary to arrange a prenuptial to protect your accumulated wealth?  Or is your wealth automatically split 50/50 between you and your wife at marriage?

No matter that the majority of members here have good experiences (those with bad experiences tend to leave) the sensible answer is to say YES HAVE A PRENUP If your girl is genuine she will understand the reasoning behind it. As Thomas says you can lessen the restrictions as time go by or even transfer somethings into her name.

Yes.  And don't forget there can be

separation in Phils

annulment in Phils

as well as divorce ABROAD   :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
bows00
Posted
Posted

I hope I didn't give the impression that I would leave her in the dry.  Once married, my intentions will be to ensure her future is secured - like get her home to live in.  But like some of you already posted, I think it is a good idea to leave the majority of the your assets back home. 

• 2 weeks later...
Chopper1050
Posted
Posted

If I couldn't trust the person I married, well, why would I have married her?

She is still a woman . And mine is a young woman, change is inevitable for her. Maybe change for the better? Maybe not

Chopper1050
Posted
Posted

My wife is connected to groups on FB that who's theme mainly are Americans married to Filipinas. Here in the US, from what she reads quite often, it's a common strategy for the man who brings the fiancee over to marry (K-1) to blind side her and tell her shortly before the marriage ceremony to sign a pre-nup. The man keeps it close to his vest till she's actually in the states to keep the family mostly out of influencing her to counter with...whatever. Of course he's going to protect his assets in case there's a long term strategy with less than desirable intentions on her part. She usually will sign (although bewildered) but if she's smart will tell him to add a "sunset clause" so long term they can live like a normal couple. In other words he's saying, I don't trust you and she's countering with - I can go with that as long as you can go with the fact that one day you will as time will prove it out.

A prenup that is presented in the way to " blind side" somebody will not stand up in court and the attorney is an idiot for not advising against this. A prenup must be talked about early and often , as early as the proposal . Just my two cents as a bachelor that survived the USA with only the government stealing my money, not to be construed as legal advice.

The best prenup is, don't many in a BDG type country.