Swiss Man Killed In Mabalacat City

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I put this story in this forum of safety and security because although I don't know the full facts; a foreigner getting into a dispute with a local can easily end how this did. Some people just can't walk away from trouble or realize the potential catastrophic outcome. 

Fourth Swiss citizen killed in Philippines

An investigation is under way into the stabbing death of a 67-year-old Swiss man in the Philippines, the latest in a string of killings involving citizens of Switzerland in that country.

The senior, identified by local police as Roger Fritz Lang, was playing basketball in a village when he became involved in a dispute with a resident, the Philippine SunStar news website reported on Wednesday, citing a police official.

The assailant brandished a knife and stabbed the Swiss in an incident that occurred over the weekend in a village of Barangay Mabiga, a district of Mabalacat City in the Philippine province of Pampanga, the website said.

The victim was temporarily renting a house in the village, SunStar reported earlier on its website.

He was transported to a hospital for treatment where he died from his injuries.

The alleged attacker, who is reportedly known to police, fled the scene.

The Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs has confirmed the death of a Swiss citizen and said the Swiss embassy in Manila made contact with Philippine authorities over the incident.

Lang was the fourth Swiss citizen killed in the Philippines since October 2014.

The body of a 22-year-old man from Geneva was found on October 7th at Surigao City on the island of Mindanao, according to earlier media reports.

Two days earlier two Swiss tourists aged 67 and 78 were killed at Opol, a seaside resort in the south of the Philippines.  

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

It seems that the Philippines is not the place to be Swiss... mind you I am impressed that anyone plays basketball at 67.

I am mildly surprised to see a death in Pampanga covered in the SunStar; mind you, that paper is broadly "anti-foreigner" anyway.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

A business mentor once told me "there is never a winner in an argument".  That little pearl of wisdom could save your life here in the Philippines.

Normally I would agree Mike, but here there was Clearly a Winner and a very Unfortunate Loser but you last piece is a big must, for us all to remember

Morning All.

JP :tiphat:  :morning1:

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted
It seems that the Philippines is not the place to be Swiss

Or any Foreigner,,,So many getting murdered

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

A business mentor once told me "there is never a winner in an argument".  That little pearl of wisdom could save your life here in the Philippines.

Normally I would agree Mike, but here there was Clearly a Winner and a very Unfortunate Loser but you last piece is a big must, for us all to remember

Morning All.

JP :tiphat:  :morning1:

.... but Is he still a winner if caught, found guilty, and spends the rest of his life in prison.  All because of an argument that got out of hand.  :unsure:

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
but Is he still a winner if caught, found guilty, and spends the rest of his life in prison

They don't think ahead about something like that, nor do they think ahead about food for the day, about motorcycle safety, about paying the bills, about having unprotected sex, about medical check ups, about health insurance, about high blood pressure, about the next typhoon, about living in a river delta, about crossing the road in traffic, etc. They think only in the moment of now.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
... but Is he still a winner if caught, found guilty, and spends the rest of his life in prison.  All because of an argument that got out of hand. 

If...... Big if. :(

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
but Is he still a winner if caught, found guilty, and spends the rest of his life in prison.  All because of an argument that got out of hand. 
Then they are both Losers
  • Like 1

kazualteaze69
Posted
Posted

Basketball...argument...67... just a head scratcher