Dika-Steve From France

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Visa renewals will be taken care of by the company. The CEO's driver will be responsible of dropping and picking me up from the office on daily basis.One way Air ticket will be paid if I stay up to 6 months.

Hmmmmmmmmmm sounds iffy to me. You need to be asking.

1.  Visa, (9a) this you just cannot work on and the penalties are Big.

2   Work Permit. Not sure you would get this for any Intern/training Programme ( To many Nationals may have a 1st Come basis)

3.   Special Academic (Student Visa) Hmmmmmmmmmm very rare here.

All three will be Subject to an Onward Air Ticket ( Round Trip for Work Permit and Student Visa.)

You really do need to get some more Home work done, the One way ticket thing worries me here for you. Without a Round Trip or Onward Ticket you will not be allowed to board from your departure Airport.

CEO Drivers Responsibility. a Word very few know what it means. As someone has already said. Get that travel Insurance checked.

BTW a Tourist Insurance Package would not be Honoured in case of Accidents and such if you  are found to be on a Working Visit.

For me Check very deeply into this. Medical Expenses are as it says, Expensive. especially on $75 a Week.

On top of all this, How will you be Paid. Weekly Monthly, Bank Account? Cheque? ( Sorry I am a Brit) Money Transfer/Wire? 

We are not trying to put you off at all It will be a great experience for you But and there is always a but, being here with out money or a Plan "B" can be so very Bad for you.

Dika, Please don't think all this is Negative, it is a very Positive way of members here trying to ensure you have a safe stay.

Maybe you will keep us posted as to how things pan out. :thumbsup:

Jack P :tiphat:

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

to be honest YOU as a westerner may not be able to handle living on $75 usd a week.

you MUST have extra funds to survive on..

yes others can live on $75 but rarely have i read of a non philippine citizen living on that amount

here is an interesting article from NY TIMES about "INTERNSHIPS ABROAD"

just maybe this can be of use to you,,, its NOT directly to Cebu or your $75 a week. but it can help you

gain insight into internship that you about to embark on  

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/education/edlife/the-10000-unpaid-global-internship.html

• Like 1

Dika-Steve
Posted
Posted

I sincerely appreciate your advice. I'm also sorry for not having answered your questions.

But believe me, I was not silent on you; I was on pondering on the offer an the conditions given by the company. You can't believe my conclusions: I AM NO MORE ACCEPTING THE OFFER.

Really, I have been NAIVE to believe that the company will provide all that they assured. Thus, I have decided to move on with my internship search here in Europe. I am rest assured of finding one in the nearest future.

Once again, many thanks for your candid advice: You were indeed a saviour and a friend. I am really appreciative and grateful. God bless !!!

Dika-Steve

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

At least they weren't charging you for the "internship opportunity".

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/education/edlife/the-10000-unpaid-global-internship.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=c-column-middle-span-region&region=c-column-middle-span-region&WT.nav=c-column-middle-span-region

Of course Cebu isn't London, Paris, Rome, etc but there's an international airport and anywhere in Asia is a short trip away. If you have nothing better to do for 6 months and the company checks out, why not? You're only young once.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

ACCEPT. This is an internship program so you cannot expect a regular salary. Your major expenses (airline tickets, meals, accommodation) are paid. The $75 a week is pocket money for incidental expenses such as laundry, beverages, entertainment, etc. The amount should be enough. What is important is gaining experience; making new contacts, and adding another line to your resume.

An internship program usually cost the company more than what they can gain in terms of productivity from you.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted

Dika-Steve, for a post-grad IB internship the stipend is low. As an undergrad, I did an internship with Goldman and it paid approximately $3k a month. Business and tech internships generally pay well. Since you are doing an internationan business degree, aim for conglomerates or at the very least, businesses with a strong international presence. If I'm not mistaken, your name Dika is West African (Cameroon?). There is an an emerging tech and business scene in Africa, so perhaps check with edutech/business groups such as the Next Einstein Initiative.

Don't fall prey under the antiquated notion that internships are all about gaining experience and expanding networks. That is true, yes. However, certain fields (business and tech) are also excellent at financially compensating their interns. Heck, even the US government is catching on!

I wish you the best of luck. Know your worth and don't settle for anything less than that. Be picky with internships; quality is better than quantity.

• Like 1

Dika-Steve
Posted
Posted

Dika-Steve, for a post-grad IB internship the stipend is low. As an undergrad, I did an internship with Goldman and it paid approximately $3k a month. Business and tech internships generally pay well. Since you are doing an internationan business degree, aim for conglomerates or at the very least, businesses with a strong international presence. If I'm not mistaken, your name Dika is West African (Cameroon?). There is an an emerging tech and business scene in Africa, so perhaps check with edutech/business groups such as the Next Einstein Initiative.

Don't fall prey under the antiquated notion that internships are all about gaining experience and expanding networks. That is true, yes. However, certain fields (business and tech) are also excellent at financially compensating their interns. Heck, even the US government is catching on!

I wish you the best of luck. Know your worth and don't settle for anything less than that. Be picky with internships; quality is better than quantity.

Hello Dear. Many thanks for your candid advice. Well noted and appreciated. I am already on the way for better internship offers. Once again many thanks for such words of encouragement full of hopes 

• Like 1