Food Poisoning And The Expat

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I overdosed on Imodium when i had the runs, i dont know what was worst  going to much or not going at all, 

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)

Filipinos get sick frequently with amoebas. My nephew lost weight so I asked how did he do it. It was diarrhea for 2 weeks. I got amoeba for the first time in my life recently from a Jolibee champ burger. 

I did see a doc and was prescribed those 2 meds, Flagyl (Metronidazole) and Diloxanide Furoate (Dilfur) along with Yakult. 

And about Filipinos getting sick in Cebu today:

Edited by jpbago

callippo
Posted
Posted

I estimate I have consumed around 5,000 meals in the Philippines, 90% I have either cooked myself using ingredients usually bought in local markets and saris (not supermarkets), or bought from carinderia-type outlets, or been cooked by a girl. I have never got food poisoning once.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I thought I had food poisoning when I first moved to Davao but I realized it actually was due to a drink I had while waiting for the ferry from Cebu... Yup, we gotta be careful with that water!

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

Another item to look out for is rice. Locals like to cook one batch in the morning and let it sit out on the counter all day for the lunch and dinner meals. What they don't realize is that bacteria is growing in the rice during this time. I lucked out and learned through a couple of coworkers mistakes. They were eating rice and ulam from a local carinderia that this was common practice. These fellows would lose 10-15lbs in a month. A hell of a way to lose some weight. I remember asking the carinderia owner what was for dinner and they pointed at the same pot that I just ate lunch from (just cooked). That was enough for me to walk away from the place altogether. Curry and rice sitting at 90F for 6 hours for dinner? not me

I have noticed that my pinoy friends like to leave leftovers out on the dinner table with a plate over the top (keeps the flies off?) and are quite content to eat at a later time. I have purchased a lot of tupperware style of plastic containers and glass containers with plastic sealed lids. My wife understands and uses these now for leftovers. After she took a copule of college courses on healthcare she is now paranoid about the bacteria. She still rarely uses the hot water in the kitchen sink when washing dishes. However, I bought a dish dryer that heats the dishes dry (http://www.weemall.com/products/5548-imarflex-dish-dryer-dd-989.aspx) and works quite well. It also helps to store the dishes there to keep the bugs off of them.

You can also get parasites from the Cockroaches. We wash anything (pots and pans) not stored in the dish dryer again prior to use. 

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I forgot to mension one thing, which can be MIXED UP with food poisioning illness.

If you are not used to strong spices, it can make diarea.

(I got it, when I experimented with cooking with same type of ingridiences but stronger spiced in SWEDEN    :mocking:    It took 2 days to recover.)

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

aint life s--t sometimes

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I agree Thomas. I eat Indian food once a year or so its great and I enjoy it but afterwards not so much.  :th_thholysheep:

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
Only chronic health problem I had was with a cough.

Well having a cough only becomes a problem when you have Diarrhoea! :hystery:

My experience is only twice in 14 yrs, Once after having Lumi soup? at a fast food shop. The second time, just before I  was on a journey by plane to the UK..... They had offer me a free upgrade to business class and there I was sipping water all the way! :rolleyes:

Ever since I never go anywhere without medication. I never eat street food and avoid shellfish if not cooked at home.

• Like 1

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all your replies.

Dan was kind enough to split this question off from another topic.

I really want to experience all the foods around me, but I'm leery about many of them.

I'm always extremely careful about the water, but I wonder if the "purified water" is actually always purified. I would guess that some of the shops that sell it use their filters for too long and they lose effectiveness. I don't know what process they use, though.

• Like 1