Food Poisoning And The Expat

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
Lost 30 lbs back in 2012 from a bad pizza.

It does not sound pleasant... but I like pizza... and need to lose 30 pounds...  I may have to look into your diet recommendation!  :tiphat:

• Like 1

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

I do not like Filipino food, sorry. My wife knows that if it doesn't look good or smell good, that I am not going to even taste it to see if it tastes good.

Damn, what's wrong with you? That means no bagoong??? :hystery:

• Like 1

John Michael Kane
Posted
Posted

Just finished up two excruciating days in the bathroom.

Possible causes:

Salad at French Bakery, in the mall

Burger Meal at Jollibe, also in the mall

Tap water at the mall, thought I asked for bottled at the time, but was served a glass, didn't think anything of it!

Baked Tilapia and salad, at my gf's house, not sure of source of origin

You can't be too careful. A friend of mine who works in teaching food sanitation to growers back in the United States could sure have some business out here if they could afford to teach the employees proper handling, plus proper facilities equipment!

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

Two quick stories - not sure if I have a point :)

My 19 year old brother in law moved to Cebu City from the "provinces" recently for work. No doubt eating street food instead of his mom's cooking. Ended up with a UTI, but was also jaundiced. Rushed to the hospital and tested for hepatitis (negative fortunately). I still have to think the change from home cooking to living on his own in the big city was the cause.

My wife and I (in the US) spent part of this weekend at the doctor's. She had swollen, itchy hands with some blisters. My assumption was an allergy like latex (gloves, not condoms :) ). The doctor said she had a virus - a virus that every American child gets, after which you are immune - very rare for adults to get here. I reminded the doc that my wife ain't from America. So I suppose the getting sick from foreign bugs works both ways.

• Like 1

Lanhawk
Posted
Posted

I think JPbago hit the nail on the head buy some yakult that really helps, not so much when your sick but before. Most families give their children yakult in their lunch. I never was able to drink the local tap water in Bacolod without getting stomach flu but when we moved outside the city to Talisay I was okay. I still avoid the tap water if at all possible and go wth purified water, its worth the few pesos it cost.

• Like 2

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

Lived there for 5 years, ate anywhere and never had a problem. After returning to the states from our visit I was doubling over in pain and hospitalized for three days hooked up to IV bags. Diagnosis inconclusive, "probable parasitic in nature".

Saw the Ex eh?

Funny Gerald.

• Like 2