Some Dumaguete Love

bows00
Posted
Posted

Dumaguete is getting some attention around the world.  Recent article ranks it No. 5 in the world.  But based on what I've been reading on this site, don't know how legitimate the last sentence is...where it states a couple could live comfortably on less than $1,000 per month.  This topic has been highly debated already..

"Located along a sheltered coast on the island of Negros, Dumaguete is protected against most of the typhoons that periodically batter many of the Philippines' 7,107 islands. The weather is tropical and balmy, but rarely too hot and occasionally cool enough to wear a sweater in the evening. Dumaguete offers excellent medical care that has been getting even better since the city was named one of the five top retirement destinations in the Philippines.

The Philippines offers one of the best residency programs in the world, helping to explain why more than 5,000 foreigners have chosen to retire here. The financial requirements to qualify are low, and the benefits are globally competitive, including duty-free importation of household belongings and the ability to own a business, work or go to school.

You can get by comfortably in this part of the world as an English speaker. When Dumagueteños talk to you, they'll speak in English.

The biggest advantage for retirees in Dumaguete is the cost of living. A couple could retire comfortably here on less than $1,000 per month."

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
duty-free importation of household belongings and the ability to own a business, work or go to school.

Feel free to inform the Marines of this wonderful new development!  ;)

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted
A couple could retire comfortably here on less than $1,000 per month."

A bit misleading ..... what is meant by comfortably ..... what maybe comfortable to me may not be to you .... there are a whole lot of variables to add into the equation ..... in fact to many as far as I'm concerned .... JMHO

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Recent article ranks it No. 5 in the world. 

Hmmmmmmmmmm How Odd, may articles including one from the BBC(UK) have ranked it No 1 but as to the snippet provided, I doubt the Article writer has been here to Dumaguete, and I think he made need to do some more research. Especially on the Rights business.

He has not mentioned the last  round of Earth Tremors, within the Last 2 weeks we have had another 2/3. :rolleyes:

JP :tiphat:  

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I doubt the Article writer has been here to Dumaguete, and I think he made need to do some more research.

I'm learning that many of these 'writers' are just trying to fill up a few hundred word slot to collect a pay packet.  As I frequently tell my honey,, don't believe most of what you read on the Internet but there are facts available on line if you do your own research.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

A couple could retire comfortably here on less than $1,000 per month."

But Bows, of course we can, you see we can't always spend our Actual Budget every month because (And this I see was not mentioned in the Article piece.) We go shopping with our list and come home not having bought all those things we need/want because when we get to those aisle's  post-2148-0-77085300-1423883733_thumb.jp

Just saying My friends but ain't it the truth.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hehe! Hate to see what you guys would say if someone wrote an article saying "Duma sucks..."!

:D

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Hehe! Hate to see what you guys would say if someone wrote an article saying "Duma sucks..."!

Bob, we know Dumaguete Sucks at times, we can say it because  it is our City, but if someone should write it , The Death Penalty will be reintroduced, so don't you even think of taking a visit and then going back to Davao and writing some naughty things OK? post-2148-0-32307400-1423888198.jpg

JP :tiphat:  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

That's ok, Jack! I once considered living in Dumaguete but decided not to after reading how those who live there complain about it so much...

:D

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I once considered living in Dumaguete but decided not to after reading how those who live there complain about it so much

Ever heard the Kardasians complain?  Would you thus decide not to adopt their lifestyle either?

• Like 1