May Organic Restaurant (Bacolod)

RBM
Posted
Posted

We had the pleasure of lunch here yesterday.

Its situated on the highway going to Bago after the turn off to San Carlos going South, say 1 KM after Citi Hardware right side..

The charming young Ria is manager and very nice to chat with.

View from the resto is wonderful,  lovely trees and gardens, totally peaceful. We enjoyed a delightful lunch, organic eggplant with red rice which was outstanding. The shakes were also a high light, choose your vege and off they go, delicious. 

Charge for a tour of the gardens is   P150, includes a swim in the mini pool. Evening buffet is P350.. 

Will try and include a pic which shows the large signage, gf included.   Highly recommend this establishment  to anyone in the area.

post-41-0-08360100-1423969791_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not sure why an image is in a doc file but I can not open it, can someone open and convert to jpg? 

Dave's Edit Done, but I see MikeB did it at same time   :cheers:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

post-575-0-49363100-1423969632_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

We went there twice, the first time must of been OK as we went back. The 2nd time was about 12:30 PM yet nothing was ready for lunch. The lady was quite talkative so the time passed. We had tilapia, salads, and shakes after a long wait and no other choices. The salads were quite good so we bought a kilo of loose lettuce only to get home to find out that she stuck us with old bitter lettuce that we had to throw out. The scenery is steadily improving as it develops but we will never return. There are many better places in Bacolod. They will do well when the new Bacolod South Hospital opens nearby. I have doubts that it is 100% organic as it is very difficult to prevent birds, bees, and other pollinators from nearby non-organic farms all around their gardens. The previous Organic Farmer's Market on Magsaysay used to be organic but now it is Farmer's Market.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
I have doubts that it is 100% organic as it is very difficult to prevent birds, bees, and other pollinators from nearby non-organic farms all around their gardens.

Pollination would be an issue for GMO vs non GMO (Genetically Modified Organism). Organic vs non Organic has to do with what types of pest control and fertilization is done.

In Baguio there are only a few stalls at the huge market that sell organic vegetables. Only one stall has them packaged with the name of the farm where they were grown.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The world is finally starting to see the dangers of GMO foods. My grandfather was one of the first to grow GMO wheat but it was mainly for trials. My sister was, as a baby, fed this wheat. For the last 15 years, she has not been able to eat anything with wheat in it. 10 years ago, she became intolerant to anything made from corn... And just about everything has corn in some form! Yes, even corn fed beef would cause severe pain... So my sister had started eating organic foods... And it usually worked but not always.. Why? Not all so-called organic food is non-GMO! She discovered this when she found a wheat she could eat from Italy - the first fully non-GMO wheat she had ever found! The wheat came with a pamphlet describing her symptoms perfectly and explained about the GMO/non-GMO correlation. She is now trying to find a truly non-GMO corn to try...

So, if given the choice between a perfect GMO product and a slightly wilted and bug bitten non-GMO product? I don't mind sharing! We should all be looking for this type of food!

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I have doubts that it is 100% organic as it is very difficult to prevent birds, bees, and other pollinators from nearby non-organic farms all around their gardens.

Pollination would be an issue for GMO vs non GMO (Genetically Modified Organism). Organic vs non Organic has to do with what types of pest control and fertilization is done.

GMO is not organic: 

The U.S. and Canada both prohibit 100% certified organic food from containing GMO ingredients. However, contamination of the crops may cause organic feed to contain some percentage of GMO ingredients. At the Straus Family Creamery in California, for example, Farmer Straus spent nearly $10,000 tracing back the ingredients in his organic supplies, to remove the GMO traces. Basically, the problem is that GMO crops spew pollen into the air, as all crops do. This pollen cross-breeds with organic feed, which pollutes and corrupts the organic farms.

The use of genetic engineering, or genetically modified organisms (GMOs), is prohibited in organic products. This means an organic farmer can’t plant GMO seeds, an organic cow can’t eat GMO alfalfa or corn, and an organic soup producer can’t use any GMO ingredients. To meet the USDA organic regulations, farmers and processors must show they aren’t using GMOs and that they are protecting their products from contact with prohibited substances, such as GMOs, from farm to table. - See more at: http://blogs.usda.gov/2013/05/17/organic-101-can-gmos-be-used-in-organic-products/#sthash.F7sR2lXZ.dpuf

RBM
Posted
Posted

We went there twice, the first time must of been OK as we went back. The 2nd time was about 12:30 PM yet nothing was ready for lunch. The lady was quite talkative so the time passed. We had tilapia, salads, and shakes after a long wait and no other choices. The salads were quite good so we bought a kilo of loose lettuce only to get home to find out that she stuck us with old bitter lettuce that we had to throw out. The scenery is steadily improving as it develops but we will never return. There are many better places in Bacolod. They will do well when the new Bacolod South Hospital opens nearby. I have doubts that it is 100% organic as it is very difficult to prevent birds, bees, and other pollinators from nearby non-organic farms all around their gardens. The previous Organic Farmer's Market on Magsaysay used to be organic but now it is Farmer's Market.

Sorry to read of your second experience Jpbago, I just reported as we found it from our first visit.

I always hold the word organic at arms length when heard. I always remember when living in Germany and visiting some or the organic wineries. It was explained that there was an agreement with neighbouring  wineries where  they stop spraying 4 rows before the organic rows....As if no wind blows.

However sitting where we were over what  I can say was a delightful lunch over looking the Eugenia trees changing colour was a real treat.

Slightly off topic is the Farmers Market have a couple of guys playing orchestral music for a couple of hours Saturday mornings. It was delightful and we just love the sushi served there.

Salamat Mike B for sorting out the pic....... 

Jpbago any other places to enjoy a meal in Bacolod i would love to hear about.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Latest ones are Mai Pao at Lacson/6th, Cafe Uma and Trattoria Uma at Lacson/15th (Cafe is on 15th near the corner and Uma is on Lacson near the corner but they share the same kitchen. Cafe is less expensive, Trattoria has nicer table clothes but the same food), Bar21 at Lacson/21. B Burger looks like worth a try as they advertise wagyu beef. Looks like it is around 26th/Lacson just across the bridge. And of course the farmer's market on weekends. Aboy's at 14th/Lacson advertises Mongolian buffet. L'Fisher has 3 restos, a good weekend buffet, and one has a BBQ in the middle of the table that you cook yourself. For seafood, there are 3 Pala Palas. L'Sea has good Asian food and prices. There are some Japanese, Korean and Indian restos that I have not tried. For sushi, sushimi, and rolls, SM supermarket has some as you walk in on the right at good prices and made fresh in front of you. For a big burger, Dalum Baley on Hilado will do it.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Latest ones are Mai Pao at Lacson/6th, Cafe Uma and Trattoria Uma at Lacson/15th (Cafe is on 15th near the corner and Uma is on Lacson near the corner but they share the same kitchen. Cafe is less expensive, Trattoria has nicer table clothes but the same food), Bar21 at Lacson/21. B Burger looks like worth a try as they advertise wagyu beef. Looks like it is around 26th/Lacson just across the bridge. And of course the farmer's market on weekends. Aboy's at 14th/Lacson advertises Mongolian buffet. L'Fisher has 3 restos, a good weekend buffet, and one has a BBQ in the middle of the table that you cook yourself. For seafood, there are 3 Pala Palas. L'Sea has good Asian food and prices. There are some Japanese, Korean and Indian restos that I have not tried. For sushi, sushimi, and rolls, SM supermarket has some as you walk in on the right at good prices and made fresh in front of you. For a big burger, Dalum Baley on Hilado will do it.

Appreciate the info salamat.

Some we have tried and enjoyed, our favorite sushi just has to be in farmers market, super fresh, dirt cheap and extremely well made. Yet to try the Japanese except the one in the new mini mall circumferential road which was disappointing.

I understand from an Indian friend whom is to open a small resto soon, currently no Indian resto in Bacolod, all closed which surprises me.

We did enjoy excellent service and nice food at Crepe on 18, unlike museum cafe where the food like always was excellent but service sick. We gave up on dessert as impossible to get service plus they turned up rap music at full volume. The owner was to busy with his friends to worry or care. In fairness there just two girls how ever very few guests.