Construction Under Way....well Kinda...

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

You must be on the worksite every day all day. How much cement was used in the mix did you watch? 

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted

You must be on the worksite every day all day. How much cement was used in the mix did you watch? 

Correct in this respect I have zero knowledge. Hence spoke to two expats whom same engineer built their houses, both spoke well. The foundations were a meter deep and from memory 12 mm bars used. The other expats told me no worries in this regard, I did get hold of a concrete mixer for them. Its a contract price, stagger payments.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

yes Jack I know TOLD YOU SO.... true one must be on site every dam day....

No! my friend, not going to say "I told you so again" I won't kick a man when he is down, Lesson Learned I guess. Like a Carpenter measures, lines, then check measures again, before cutting. With Engineers (and they do tend to think they know it all)  sometimes,  when you have/need to say something, you have to Check he heard, Say it again, check he understands, then activate. Yes they are the Engineer but you are the Client and as long as it does not veer to far from Plan your instructions should be followed.

RBM I wish you well on the Project. If there is anything that us that have built and can help you with (From our mistakes) shout and the Louder you shout the better you will be Heard. 

Happy Building, I guess if you are missing more than usual we will know you are, on Site  :thumbsup:

BTW where are you Building, Dumaguete or over on Cebu?

JP :tiphat:

Lou49
Posted
Posted

This is how they do it when you are not around.

post-3362-0-57236600-1423964459_thumb.jp

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

RBM, I feel your pain. We were fortunate living right next door during construction. We had about 20 workers also. It is really amazing how fast they can go once started. If possible you really need to be there all the time to catch any mistakes. The foreman I noticed will do the things he is used to, and not really take into consideration that we might think differently then them lololol.

Good luck

• Like 3

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

This is how they do it when you are not around.

Do they really use hearing protection? Wow, never thought I'd see that in the PI.

We will be using http://solidcon.ph/ to build our house. They send photos every other day during construction. Talked with 2 satisfied expat customers, and I'm convinced it's an honorable and competent company. They promise to stick to the price agreed upon at the start, barring modification of the plan.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Thanks to posters all input appreciated very much.

Yes Jack was on site a lot yesterday will be most days. We normally travel at least 50% of the time so this will be on the back burner for now.

After speaking nice and slowly, clearly, to the engineer yesterday he agreed reluctantly to shoulder costs of removing the extended wall leaving us with just a bathroom extension as requested. 

Its not an easy task however now the blocks are all at knee height and the outline is OK. next drama will be having the windows where I want them not where they want them. There is their way and my way....If I not around......

We are situated in Negros Occidental and pretty much sheltered from the bad elements of mother nature. When we were considering a purchase of an existing dwelling none of the houses we checked had any noticeable damage from the earthquakes of a few years back. With this in mind and my repeated requests to the engineer to ensure a decent correct concrete mix we trust all be OK.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
There is their way and my way

It is interesting to follow your story.  It reminds me of getting my first house built, in Canada.  The contractors seem to feel superior to the customer and seem to think it is their obligation to 'persuade' the home owner to do things the 'right' way.  It takes a stubborn and persistent homeowner to get what he wants.  Many of us just go with the flow.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Do they really use hearing protection? Wow, never thought I'd see that in the PI.

Likely headphones on loud.