Construction Under Way....well Kinda...

fred
Posted
Posted

Just a guess in regards a budget to build a place that size to a reasonable standard without a contractor.... 2.5 Million..

Mind you that guess is with no contractor!

Under 2 mil Fred but that without floor tiles and we do out master bathroom interiors and Kitchen interious, aIn exchange we receive extra high ceilings for cooling and a concrete slab on car port.

Happy gp post a pic an floor plan if able e mail them to some kind soul as not the patience to mess about shrinking and changing format....computer dummy writing.

Today the main beam is poured so from what Chris has advised sides must stay 24 hours....Guess good to cover fron sun also. Any tips as always appreciated.

My guess was based on 15k (ish) per sqr meter. Many expats calculate at 20,000 PHP per Sqr mter and Filipinos contractors about 10k per sqr mtr!!!

What ever it turns out to be though,Its still very very cheap compared to what we could expect in the west for that kind of money!

Good luck with the project though man.. I have quite a few pics of our latest effort from the ground up so if you think any would be useful,just give me a shout ya hear!

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Just a guess in regards a budget to build a place that size to a reasonable standard without a contractor.... 2.5 Million..

Mind you that guess is with no contractor!

Under 2 mil Fred but that without floor tiles and we do out master bathroom interiors and Kitchen interious, aIn exchange we receive extra high ceilings for cooling and a concrete slab on car port.

Happy gp post a pic an floor plan if able e mail them to some kind soul as not the patience to mess about shrinking and changing format....computer dummy writing.

Today the main beam is poured so from what Chris has advised sides must stay 24 hours....Guess good to cover fron sun also. Any tips as always appreciated.

My guess was based on 15k (ish) per sqr meter. Many expats calculate at 20,000 PHP per Sqr mter and Filipinos contractors about 10k per sqr mtr!!!

What ever it turns out to be though,Its still very very cheap compared to what we could expect in the west for that kind of money!

Good luck with the project though man.. I have quite a few pics of our latest effort from the ground up so if you think any would be useful,just give me a shout ya hear!

Thanks Fred and love to see any pics you able to post, later the GF will try post pics here of the house and floor plan.

The confirmed price here is P12K per square meter, we bartered a bit as wanted some changes as mentioned. This is based on class A materials, expats this engineer has built for confirmed he is genuine. Further he is building his own house almost next door to us, so not far to go for complaints....Ha.

As I understand the more remote one is the cheaper the price which surprises me. We are not remote how ever in a small city. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)
A simple little 3 bedroom house

Ours is a 3 BR, approx. 180 square meters (in two stories), built to our design, we bought all the fixtures (sinks, toilets, door hinges etc).

All told our house cost right around 4 million pesos, labor and materials. We already owned the lot. 

We are in Metro Manila. Just as a comparison.

Edited by scott h

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Just a comparing with FILIPINO building of a concrete house: 

My perhaps future family-in-law has three builders in the close family so "no workers" cost.  (Food.)

The material did cost roughly 100 000p for a 2 BR, with indoor kitchen.  (NOT including CR, they had such allready in a hut beside.) They had the land allready.

I don't know the size, but it's "Filipino size" of rooms except the kitchen, which is ok sized in my messure too. 

((If they had made ONE BR instead of two, and ADDED space for CR, I find it ok SIZED for foreigner standard, but the details has lower standard than western.  =Big enough for two people, western messure, but they are MANY...   :)   I'm not sure how many are normaly LIVING there, because they have visitors often, but at least 2 parents and 4 of their children, but I believe a spouse and some grandchildren too.))

Connecting electric did cost roughly 10 000p. 

(I suppouse there was electric in a neighbour house. Otherwice it seem to cheap, because it's rural, a bit away from a subdivision, but within walking distance. OR they got discount by the neighbourhood is developed now with geting road now, a church building is planned to start soon...)

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

This is how they do it when you are not around.

Do they really use hearing protection? Wow, never thought I'd see that in the PI.

We will be using http://solidcon.ph/ to build our house. They send photos every other day during construction. Talked with 2 satisfied expat customers, and I'm convinced it's an honorable and competent company. They promise to stick to the price agreed upon at the start, barring modification of the plan.

Interesting site. Would you mind to inform us where your building?

I spoke to my engineer about solid pouring the walls with all pipe and wiring inside. According to him to expensive. Strange as just needs the forms and no need spending endless hours chiping out walls for pipes.

Songculan, Dauis, Bohol (Panglao Island). Cost is P20,000 per sqm. That's their price for construction with uninsulated poured concrete walls. Insulated poured concrete walls would be P30,000 per sqm.

RBM
Posted
Posted

Very nice discussion especially for us non knowledgeable folks in the industry.

As solid pouring is widely used in most western countries and common sense tells me its far more practicable I would prefer it. In my case the engineer also said far to expensive and much more work. Why? once the form for one wall is made it can be used over and over. My guess is they are just to set in their ways to change, Seems idiotic to make a wall, spend hours chipping away for electrical and plumbing, after fill it up again.

The comparison of building costs is also interesting, perhaps depends on the supply demand...Its certain here is P12K per square meter, commercial grade materials used and includes fences. We barted somewhat as I wanted higher ceilings and additional slab of concrete over the car port, plus a solar water heater fitted and plumbed.

Love to hear members comments on hardi flex ceilings verses gypsum board. My neighbour had hardy board or flex, whatever fitted and is plagued by gaps in the joints.... Been filled many times and still opening with construction expansion. here temperatures drop to around 21 at night.

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

We've been reasonably satisfied with Solidcon so far. We met with the head designer/architect in January and did the site evaluation. Lately we finalized the floor plan and the site development plan. We hope to get construction started in March. I too will be very interested in comments on hardi flex ceilings verses gypsum board.

gusincebu
Posted
Posted

Further he is building his own house almost next door to us, so not far to go for complaints....Ha.

Just make sure your nice quality materials dont end up on his site, instead of yours mate :)

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Love to hear members comments on hardi flex ceilings verses gypsum board.

We have some hardi flex used for the soffits and yes, there are gaps but even worse is that it has broken in a few places and it is very brittle. You have to drill first to put a screw in and not too tight or it will break. Very difficult to repair.Gypsum can suffer water damage but it is easy to fix.

RBM
Posted
Posted

Love to hear members comments on hardi flex ceilings verses gypsum board.

We have some hardi flex used for the soffits and yes, there are gaps but even worse is that it has broken in a few places and it is very brittle. You have to drill first to put a screw in and not too tight or it will break. Very difficult to repair.Gypsum can suffer water damage but it is easy to fix.

Apart from marine plywood which termites will devour wonder what else is available here.