Just Back In Manila

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

if your interested in diving in Subic, stop in at The Arizona hotel dive shop in Barretto or Johans dive shop in Baloy.

• Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the information guys. Some excellent suggestions here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

Vigan city is really only good for a one day visit. You can see everything in a half a day. We did use it as a launch point to see the windmill farm in Bangui (just south of Pagudpud). Vigan is about an 8 - 10 hour drive from Subic (not sure how long a bus would take). The SCTEX/TPLEX is now almost complete. It currently ends at Urdaneta which is just before the turn off for Baguio or La Union. So if you plan on going to Vigan, plan for a minimum 3 days (2 days travel).

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

You could plan your trip around going north along the coast of Luzon. Going up the coast there is Bataan (Famous WWII death march) & Subic, 100 Islands, San Juan Beach (Surfing), Vigan and Pagudpud. Then coming back you might go through the mountains visiting white water rafting in Kalinga (if you are a coffee drinker they also have civet coffee there), Banaue Rice Terraces, Sagada, Mt. Pulag, Baguio, Pugad, then back to Manila. This would only be doable if you were driving your own car/motorbike or renting a car/motorbike.

• Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

Vigan city is really only good for a one day visit. You can see everything in a half a day. We did use it as a launch point to see the windmill farm in Bangui (just south of Pagudpud). Vigan is about an 8 - 10 hour drive from Subic (not sure how long a bus would take). The SCTEX/TPLEX is now almost complete. It currently ends at Urdaneta which is just before the turn off for Baguio or La Union. So if you plan on going to Vigan, plan for a minimum 3 days (2 days travel).

Thanks for the info am staying on in Subic for a few days. Plan to spend time tomorrow looking at my travel options.

• Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

You could plan your trip around going north along the coast of Luzon. Going up the coast there is Bataan (Famous WWII death march) & Subic, 100 Islands, San Juan Beach (Surfing), Vigan and Pagudpud. Then coming back you might go through the mountains visiting white water rafting in Kalinga (if you are a coffee drinker they also have civet coffee there), Banaue Rice Terraces, Sagada, Mt. Pulag, Baguio, Pugad, then back to Manila. This would only be doable if you were driving your own car/motorbike or renting a car/motorbike.

Thanks for the info. I rather fancy trying civet coffee.[emoji14]

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the info. I rather fancy trying civet coffee.

In Tabuk, Kalinga there are some nice hotels which sell the civet coffee. You can also get civet coffee at the Good Shepherd Convent up near Mines View Park in Baguio. 100 peso's for a freshly brewed cup of civet coffee.

• Like 2

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info. I rather fancy trying civet coffee.

In Tabuk, Kalinga there are some nice hotels which sell the civet coffee. You can also get civet coffee at the Good Shepherd Convent up near Mines View Park in Baguio. 100 peso's for a freshly brewed cup of civet coffee.

That's less than a cup of Starbucks regular in Beijing [emoji1]

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

What's "civet coffee"?

Guys, Earthdome, Not So Old China, I agree with Earthdome, he has been around the area and clearly knows his stuff, His views do co- inside with mine.

I'm 65. I have just yesterday raced an off road MTB, mountain bike race in Laoag.  Part of a one month Fiesta. The Pamulinaween Festival, this is the domain of Imelda and current Governor, Imee Marcos. Money, Marcos money still flows up here. The place is amazing, and still has historical sites.

In short, I liked the place. The whole north except Baguio and maybe San Fernando La Union is totally overlooked. Cheaper, and the girls, don't get me started. I rarely see a girl wearing  makeup here. I have seen so many yesterday, and I was on a bike.

Edited by chris49

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

My bike race in Laoag. I raced in Vets Category and I was the oldest. Not so modest.

http://forums.transitions.org.au/index.php?showtopic=67314#entry1110464

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1