Just Back In Manila

earthdome
Posted
Posted
What's "civet coffee"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

There is a coffee culture in the Cordillera mountain region of Luzon. That was one of the things I liked about my wife's family the first time I visited their home. They always had a thermos full of strong hot brewed coffee. When my then future father in law took me to visit neighbors and relatives homes in the immediate area they always offered us coffee. On my morning walks in Baguio I walked past a mountain hillside planted with many different types of tropical fruits and plants including coffee.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I am NOT a fan of civet coffee, because of the way it is produced.

We are offered a picture of sturdy peasant folk picking up civet droppings around their coffee bushes.

Truth is, the poor civets are kept in small dirty cages and fed nothing but coffee beans... not nice.

chris49
Posted
Posted

What's "civet coffee"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

There is a coffee culture in the Cordillera mountain region of Luzon. That was one of the things I liked about my wife's family the first time I visited their home. They always had a thermos full of strong hot brewed coffee. When my then future father in law took me to visit neighbors and relatives homes in the immediate area they always offered us coffee. On my morning walks in Baguio I walked past a mountain hillside planted with many different types of tropical fruits and plants including coffee.

Thanks mate, will look out for it. Have always liked the strong Barako varieties, which come from around Baguio don't they?

Hope you open my race repoort from Laoag.

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

Well I'm back in Manila again. In the end I remained in the Subic area all the time. I found that there were more than enough dive sites to keep me occupied. I followed Subic Steve's recommendation and dived with the Arizona Dive Shop.

I thought of going further North but will save that for another time.. I plan to fit in several more breaks this year.

I also spent some time looking around the Freeport Zone. Crossing the bridge is like walking into another world..

And by the way I discovered a pub that serves home brewed IPA: Harley's on Baloy Beach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk