Dumaguete Airport

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

We often talk about the Large Airports here Manila, Mactan and such but I was just sat wondering how many have had the Pleasure? of flying from or to Dumaguete. Old and under review for a face Lift it is as it has been for many years, I will just let these few Photos tell the Story.

post-2148-0-54134900-1424242176.jpgpost-2148-0-77160000-1424242199.jpgpost-2148-0-47885700-1424242221.jpgpost-2148-0-47274400-1424242243.jpgpost-2148-0-37968100-1424242278.jpgpost-2148-0-16321200-1424242311.jpgpost-2148-0-12408100-1424242349.jpgpost-2148-0-71085100-1424242378.jpg

just a little Look at the way we are over here on Negros and it is just as much Mayhem Some daysas the bigger ones.

JP :tiphat:

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Looks pretty cool to me Jack!  Any landing you walk away from is a good landing.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Its better to fly out than drive by.  Try driving by the airport when a big plane is taking off.  They taxi down to the main highway, turn around and take off towards the ocean with the jet wash blasting onto the highway.  I was riding a motorbike along the highway and wondered why all the filipinos were stopped.  I thought they were just watching the plane take off but the mini typhoon blown up by the jet exhaust convinced me that they are pretty smart fellers. (The drivers, not the ones who built the airport.)

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

but the mini typhoon blown up by the jet exhaust convinced me that they are pretty smart fellers.

That my fellow members is why there is a wait between Aircraft taking of one after the other. Have you noticed that the next Aircraft in the queue always waits at  a 90 angle to that on the Runway while waiting. That Vortex is a mean thing, There is a back board where Dave is talking about but it still gets through, This (For those following the thread on big Bikes) is on Dumaguetes National North Highway.

• Like 1

callippo
Posted
Posted

It is Thailand where there are a lot of small-scale small-town airports. Most of them were adapted from US airbases in the Vietnam era. Dumaguete must be in the top or bottom 10 smallest places in the Philippines with a commercial airport, although Tagbilaran is of course even smaller. Smallest must surely be tiny Basco, Batanes.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
. Dumaguete must be in the top or bottom 10 smallest places in the Philippines with a commercial airport,

They are one of the smallest with 'daytime only' service.  Nothing lands or takes off after dark.  The same scenario in Ormoc killed that airport but Dumaguete seems to be managing with that restriction.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ha! Try Ozamiz, population 130,000 or so, which curiously has two flights - one PAL A319, one Cebu Pacific A320, both direct to Manila - within fifty minutes of each other at crack of dawn, and nothing for the rest of the day!

Edited by Methersgate

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Ha! Try Ozamiz, population 130,000 or so, which curiously has two flights - one PAL A319, one Cebu Pacific A320, both direct to Manila - within fifty minutes of each other at crack of dawn, and nothing for the rest of the day!

I guess airlines like to run at a profit. Why have ten flights if you can only fill two.  :)

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
I guess airlines like to run at a profit. Why have ten flights if you can only fill two. 

I guess they do. I used to be a bit involved with a rather successful Asian airline. Why have two flights on the same route within fifty minutes of each other?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I guess airlines like to run at a profit. Why have ten flights if you can only fill two. 

They can fill more if the Aircraft were available but it seems Dumaguete are content with the 4 (to Manila) daily and the Cebu Route (I believe 1 flight Daily)

As far as I can ascertain it has been this for years,  Pal am/pm daily, CP same about 50 mins apart, it works so why try and fix something that ain't Broke.

However saying that, we have recently Heard of a Major overhaul of the Airport and a Runway Extension, so maybe someone knows something we don't.

http://news.pia.gov.ph/article/view/1111422426704/negor-expects-tourism-boost-with-p140m-dgte-airport-improvements-lgsp-led