Pop Ups On Computer

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Can any members give me some advice how to rid myself of pop ups.  So far I have tried:

1. downloaded anti pop up software with some effect

2. Followed the instructions on the net ;download for dummies', little difference

3. Attempted to repeately remove two a\'add ons' buynsave, green snapper

As soon as I remove the items in 3 above, as soon as I shut down and restart, they reappear. I have checked my start up menu and they are attached to that.module but I do not know how to remove them from it.

Let me add the term 'dummies' adequately covers my computer skills.

At times I have half a screen left after all the other crap appears.

Thank you in the interests of my sanity(sic) 

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I moved your question to this category because the other is for troubleshooting forum problems specifically. I use Adblock Plus and I never see pop-ups. You might also consider changing browsers, I switched from Chrome to Firefox because of many annoying little problems with chrome and it seems to work much better.

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

I am assuming that you are using a Windows machine. Try following the instructions on this link http://malwaretips.com/threads/another-one-with-buynsave-chrome-extension.38263/ 

Hesalright
Posted
Posted

Hi Mogo

If the popups are from a website then you can just block that website. I had the same problem in the past and it was fixed by blocking the popup site with Firefox

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Sounds like a browser hijacker to me. Lot of info online of what to do by googling it. Just don't get sucked into downloading some crap that is a waste of time. I use avast which can remove startup problems.  

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I moved your question to this category because the other is for troubleshooting forum problems specifically. I use Adblock Plus and I never see pop-ups. You might also consider changing browsers, I switched from Chrome to Firefox because of many annoying little problems with chrome and it seems to work much better.

Thanks Mike I have Adware and Malware on my computer, but not making much difference.  Is Adblock Plus a freebie or do you pay?  I will try using a different browser, just used Chrome for that long, but a change is as good as a Holiday!

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Thanks all, looks like I may have to change browser, I joined the Malware site as suggested by Jon1, waiting for any replies.  I will now install Firefox, should I delete Google Chrome?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Is Adblock Plus a freebie or do you pay?

Free w/ contribution option.

I will now install Firefox, should I delete Google Chrome?

Once you have FF working, I would. I gave up on Chrome because I was getting the infamous, “Whoa! Google Chrome has crashed” message every single time I closed the browser. I spent yesterday uninstalling and reinstalling and doing everything the support sites said and finally gave up. I’ve also learned that a lot of the little problems I was blaming on various sites and my new laptop were actually caused by chrome.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Hi JBW,

Although we have not known each other long, I suspect you may be a genius.  I loaded firefox as suggested and was transferring task bar stuff across etc.  But they could not move gmail account to task bar as they said password had been changed 3 months ago, which I did not do. 

It appears as you suggested that it was hijacked.  Could you please advise next time you are out walking on water, I want to take a photo an save it for properity!! Seriously, thanks and it makes sense as it just started to go spastic about that time.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

There may be something seriously wrong with me, I had the tv on for noise purposes whilst sorting computer bs.  I now realise that I have been listening to muslims singing rap, chanting etc.I am looking out the window to make sure the little green cart (aka Nerr nerr bus) does not come down the street for me!

• Like 1