Pop Ups On Computer

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Sounds like a browser hijacker to me. Lot of info online of what to do by googling it. Just don't get sucked into downloading some crap that is a waste of time. I use avast which can remove startup problems.  

JGF, should I delete the old Chrome as I am sure you are right, it has been hijacked.  I have everything up and running with Firefox and the difference is amazing, many thanks for yours and the other members help.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I use Firefox and AdBlock and it blocks most pop-ups.  My ESET Nod anti-virus takes care of everything else.

The only reason I have Chrome installed is sometimes it is useful to turn it on, right click a picture, and select 'search google for image'.  Have not seen that in other browsers.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I know... its Bob and his other os again... Still, i use Chrome on my Mac and my Linux machines and don't Have any problems with pop ups!

jon1
Posted
Posted

I know... its Bob and his other os again... Still, i use Chrome on my Mac and my Linux machines and don't Have any problems with pop ups!

I am the same. I have been using Macs almost 8 years now and have never had a virus or malware infection.  I used Linux (Corel and Ubuntu) before that and only Windows for office work. If I ever was to run an IT Department, I would make it solely Mac with virtual Windows machines for only the apps not compatible with Mac. Macs are expensive up front but the back end costs (tech support labor) are low as you rarely have any software issues, mostly failed hardware. In 8 years I have only had 2 hardware issues (keyboard backlighting on 2008 my macbook pro and a broken key on my 2013 macbook pro) on 3 Macs. They would pay for themselves after a year (less people in the IT department).  I will get off my soap box now.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

When Mac OS X came out it was the first time I seriously considering buying a Mac. Finally an excellent GUI OS which was built on top of a unix OS (BSD).

Over 10 years later and on my third Mac laptop this will be my last. I had some poor customer service/repair issues with them. In addition I find Apple too damn paternal and controlling now. Back over a decade ago it was a PITA to setup a nice laptop with a good GUI running unix. Now it is so much easier. My next laptop will most likely run ubuntu. My MacBook Pro is almost 5 years old and the display port just stopped working so I can't use my nice 24" dell monitor with it. Think I will be getting that new laptop and loading ubuntu soon.

FYI, I also use Chrome and have had no problems with popups. I use AdBlock Pro and Privacy Badger. Privacy Badger is a new browser extension from the Electronic Frontier Foundation designed to help maintain your privacy in the age of NSA mass collection of internet meta data.

https://www.eff.org/privacybadger

• Like 1