The Best Place To Retire In The Philippines

Gazza2458
Posted
Posted

Thanks everybody for your replys.

My wife and I are both born and bred Aussies.

We have been living in China, Ireland, and are now living in Cambodia so know a bit about Aisa.

And yes we are looking at retirement can not do it back in OZ as its too bloody expensive so here we are in Aisa. We are both fit and active but still would like to be safe than sorry about medical needs.

So we are open to suggestions as you guys have proberly already done the hard work.

We intend to look around to get the feel of the places first ,but you guys are on the ground and know more than the Internet .

Once again thanks

Gary

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hmmm... I thought we were the internet! Hehe! Just kidding!

Myself? I'm in Davao and love it here! It's very very safe but do take the standard precaution against pickpockets. I've observed one crime here when a know-it-all tourist picked up a "date" for the night. As he chose the cheapest room possible, he had to go to the communal shower while she left with his wallet. The worse I've experienced was being mugged by a cute little toddler with a full diaper and a grin! Renting a house here is cheaper than an apartment - so guess who didn't rent the house! There is even a low-cost subdivision on the edge of town that has a big club House, pool, basketball courts and, across the road, a wakeboard park! Many excellent restaurants or you can grab a piece of fried chicken for P20 / P25 with rice while wandering downtown. The rainy season this year has been really nice! It's misting on and off between sun today and I've only experienced a couple days of rain. When it does rain, have an umbrella and hard hat handy... It comes down hard! But usually for only an hour or two... The typhoons they get further north? Half the time we don't even get any rain here! I get up with the sun here and go walk for an hour or two while it's cool and do a little sightseeing at the same time. Lots of people are out at the same time! As I work from home, I'll start out with the windows open and only turn the ac on if it gets really hot in the afternoon. Coming in from where you are, well, I'm still acclimatizing... You won't have any problems! If you or the Mrs are smokers? This is a non-smoking city. Smoking areas are hard to find and it's a fine if you get caught on the street smoking.

Like I said, I love it here! Will I stay? It depends on where my girlfriend finds work (she's a teacher) and I would still like to explore more of the Philippines!

Edited by i am bob
  • Like 4

Markham
Posted
Posted

How much is Duterte paying you for your advertorial, Bob?! :D

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
I've observed one crime here when a know-it-all tourist picked up a "date" for the night. As he chose the cheapest room possible, he had to go to the communal shower while she left with his wallet.

You observed this, right? Were you in the shower with him or in the room with her?

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Saw the security tapes over the policeman's shoulder...

You gotta stop thinking we all wanna do the things you want to...

:D

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
Myself? I'm in Davao and love it here! It's very very safe

Yes Davao is a lot safer now....all I would add is...... For a more rural place, Samal Island is just a short ferry boat ride from Davao.

and has less restrictions.

• Like 1

jassy
Posted
Posted

Between cebu and manila, cebu.  They are having a realstate boom. The bad part is the prices are outrageous and targetted for foreigners. Cebu is quite expensive.

Czechman
Posted
Posted

My main problem is that I need access to a pharmacy for meds (been an insulin-dependent diabetic for years unfortunately) and as I have mentioned in other forums here, I have only been here in the Phils for a short time (@5mos) anyway. Thus currently, I have chosen Cebu to live because, where I am now (LLCity), it is more affordable than let's say Cebu City.

Also, I only have SS for my income and it ain't that much @1,400usd. I am currently trying to find something a bit further than the noisy, polluted city - and I don't at this time (maybe never) want to buy real estate (a foreigner can't own land @100% anyway--best you can do is 40% & that is at a corporation status!), so renting a home or apartment again, in a nicer, cleaner, quieter area with access to pharmacies and good healthful foods/products - with my lil' "1,400usd" income is my priority. BUT not an easy task to do when you are limited to a low-end budget like mine. If I move, don't have to be close to Cebu but, I do have to move my home-goods like a few appliances, bedroom and kitchen furniture, and a few more items but still, it's moving-transportation costs to be figured in as well. In the US, I could pay a moving company a few hundred to move me but here in the Phils, I don't think they exist...

My other option would be my consistent fantasy of: Finding @$600 more per month, then I wouldn't have to be so restricted. =-{

Curley
Posted
Posted

My main problem is that I need access to a pharmacy for meds (been an insulin-dependent diabetic for years unfortunately) and as I have mentioned in other forums here, I have only been here in the Phils for a short time (@5mos) anyway. Thus currently, I have chosen Cebu to live because, where I am now (LLCity), it is more affordable than let's say Cebu City.

Also, I only have SS for my income and it ain't that much @1,400usd. I am currently trying to find something a bit further than the noisy, polluted city - and I don't at this time (maybe never) want to buy real estate (a foreigner can't own land @100% anyway--best you can do is 40% & that is at a corporation status!), so renting a home or apartment again, in a nicer, cleaner, quieter area with access to pharmacies and good healthful foods/products - with my lil' "1,400usd" income is my priority. BUT not an easy task to do when you are limited to a low-end budget like mine. If I move, don't have to be close to Cebu but, I do have to move my home-goods like a few appliances, bedroom and kitchen furniture, and a few more items but still, it's moving-transportation costs to be figured in as well. In the US, I could pay a moving company a few hundred to move me but here in the Phils, I don't think they exist...

My other option would be my consistent fantasy of: Finding @$600 more per month, then I wouldn't have to be so restricted. =-{

Ever looked at NATURAL cures? https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=natural+diabetes+cures

Ever looked at somewhwere else to live?

MikeB
Posted
Posted
If I move, don't have to be close to Cebu but, I do have to move my home-goods like a few appliances, bedroom and kitchen furniture, and a few more items but still, it's moving-transportation costs to be figured in as well. In the US, I could pay a moving company a few hundred to move me but here in the Phils, I don't think they exist...

They don't exist as franchises with fancy web sites but there are plenty of people who do moving, ask around. Move the valuables yourself and have someone you trust with them at all times.

• Like 1