The Best Place To Retire In The Philippines

Czechman
Posted
Posted (edited)

thanks i too live in ohio. glad to know that can get i can get my medicine in pi

You understand though, that what I stated regarding prices and availability was for the Lapu Lapu City, Cebu area.

When I was in Cebu City, right after I landed here, the 360 pharmacy was out of stock of the Lantus vial, however, they are one of the few that will actually special order it for you and text you that it is available for pick up. Again, this was the Cebu City, 360 pharmacy, that is.

Here in Lapu Lapu City, where I currently reside, Rose pharmacy will always have qty of 1 Lantus Solostar pen, and absolutely no way of stocking Lantus vials, period. Mercury Drug pharmacy on the other hand, will stock both, the Lantus Solostar pen and the Lantus vial. They seem to all carry the Lilly Humulog vials (quick acting insulin), for @P1,717 / $39, which will last me for about 2 months--depending upon how many fats or carbs, that I consume.

*You may (sometimes) get the dreaded, "Sorry sir, out of stock," response so it may be best to contact/phone the pharmacy first - before you leave. So, just keep a list of nearby pharmacy phone numbers handy (that are in the Phil's area that you reside in of course), in case one of them go into the "Sorry sir, out of stock," zone. =-o 

Edited by Czechman

i am bob
Posted
Posted

When i stayed in Cebu, there was a Rose Pharmacy at the front of the hotel... If you needed a med and they were out, somebody hopped on one of the store's motorcycle and got it from one of the other locations!

• Like 1

Czechman
Posted
Posted (edited)

When i stayed in Cebu, there was a Rose Pharmacy at the front of the hotel... If you needed a med and they were out, somebody hopped on one of the store's motorcycle and got it from one of the other locations!

This Rose pharmacy where I am, simply does not stock this one type of insulin in vials, period (they have 'em in a "single" insulin pen - which is only a few weeks or so supply - but not in vials). So I asked them, "But, can you special order it like 360 pharmacy can?" and  they told me, "No locations stock it." Yet down the road, a 1.5 kilometer run, Mercury Drug stocks it in vials, all the time but it is quite a distance further than Rose pharmacy is however. :-[

Edited by Czechman
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
rw191010
Posted
Posted

I live in Iloilo and it is making a definite effort to improve its infrastructure.  I rent a lovely 3 bdrm home with a nice lot for 12,000 pesos per month.  The city is widening its main street arteries and is building a large complex called MegaWorld on the ground of the old airport.  Iloilo has a modern international airport.  It has RORO capable seaport and FastCats.  It has plenty of movie theaters and malls.  There is a very modest expat community.  On the downside, it there aren't any lovely beaches to speak of.  During rainy season, sections of the city tend to experience modest flooding.

• Like 2

rw191010
Posted
Posted

You need to decide where you can live the lifestyle that you need on what budget you have. Do some research, this site has people all over the Philippines. Here is a good tool http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp

I would consider everything from health care to security. Davao is a relatively safe place and a fairly large town. I would not consider Cebu or Manila, both are crowded. 

For me, I chose the Subic Freeport. You can live on a budget of $2000USD per month (including rent) or about $1500 if you have bought a long term lease (going rate is between $80K=$100K USD for 40+ years). The housing in the freeport are all up in the hills about 30+M above sea level. It is as secure as you can get, has reliable power, water and internet. It is very quiet here and usually has a breeze.  There are 2 beaches within the Freeport and many more outside. The Freeport has a mall, lots of restaurants, a golf course, sport area (track, tennis courts), pools in the housing areas and plenty of places to ride a bicycle. Downside, you need a vehicle as public transport is periodical (cheap) or taxi (expensive) and the place is sprawled out (the housing areas are at least 4km from the grocery stores). It is also a 45 minute drive from an international airport (Clark) via expressway (SCTEX).

You can live cheaply elsewhere within the Philippines but you get what you pay for. 

It's best to do some extended stay visits (3+ weeks) to get a taste of what is acceptable or not.

The cost of living comparison tool is GREAT.  Thanks for sharing!

rw191010
Posted
Posted

Consider renting a truck with driver and helper and doing the packing yourself.  I rented many large trucks when running a relief organization after Yolanda and I found them to be cheap and fairly reliable.  I'll be the first to admit that the quality of drivers varies greatly, so choose the shiniest, cleanest truck you can find!  It is an indicator.  Anyway, they can get on ferries and reach virtually any region you may choose in the Philippines.  For me, my furniture is cheap bamboo and I can load my refrigerator in my pickup bed. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Czechman
Posted
Posted (edited)

Consider renting a truck with driver and helper and doing the packing yourself.  I rented many large trucks when running a relief organization after Yolanda and I found them to be cheap and fairly reliable.  I'll be the first to admit that the quality of drivers varies greatly, so choose the shiniest, cleanest truck you can find!  It is an indicator.  Anyway, they can get on ferries and reach virtually any region you may choose in the Philippines.  For me, my furniture is cheap bamboo and I can load my refrigerator in my pickup bed. 

MikeB, on 26 Feb 2015 - 10:28 AM, said:snapback.png

Czechman, on 26 Feb 2015 - 09:32 AM, said:snapback.png

If I move, don't have to be close to Cebu but, I do have to move my home-goods like a few appliances, bedroom and kitchen furniture, and a few more items but still, it's moving-transportation costs to be figured in as well. In the US, I could pay a moving company a few hundred to move me but here in the Phils, I don't think they exist...

They don't exist as franchises with fancy web sites but there are plenty of people who do moving, ask around. Move the valuables yourself and have someone you trust with them at all times.

Look under "Lipat Bahay" in the classified section of the news paper. That literally means transfer home.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Update, end of May, 2015, - regarding my move to my current choice retirement place, Cebu City:

Okay, I searched various sites under the term: "Lipat Bahay," and came up with some impressive results, like some on the OLX.com site. A couple looked very good and reputable also. There was one that seemed to stand-out quite well and their site was professional and had good reviews but no recent reviews after 2014 though. One even had a few posts on OLX, where they showed a picture of their daughters (I presume) standing in front of the truck, and showed their trucks available but no closed box trucks though -like an Elf-Box truck (made by Mitsubishi, Mazda, the other company - with I believe - 4 or 5 letters in their name). They looked impressive but they had no reviews or box-truck available so I declined on them.

Alright, so I made a decision to go with "Cebu Trucking Services," based on their site and they had impressive prior reviews as well. They based their rates starting at p1,500 for the box truck and 1 driver. Much to my surprise, the rate increased to p5,000, going from Lapu Lapu City to Cebu City, and adding 2 helpers: "Truck Boys," they called them! Regardless, I accepted and thought they would do well - again - based on the reviews on their site. Whoah, wrong choice and they nearly destroyed/damaged almost all of my (5mo old) furniture and appliances during the move!

They were to arrive early morning according to the main guy at the office in Cebu City, but they didn't get there until almost noon! The helpers, "Truck Boys" (they called them), were: a 25-30 yr old guy, and an inexperienced 18 yr old kid. They scratched, dinged, and chipped the bed because they could not force-it through the stairs opening because it was blocked by the "idiot-neighbor's" non-working, dysfunctional, dryer. However, had they moved this "idiot-neighbor's" non-working dryer (that the "idiot-neighbors" use for a table) that blocked the entrance, like I had told the movers too, this wouldn't have occurred. (FYI: One of the reasons I was moving was this "idiot-neighbor" that stayed up all night making noises and racing up and down the stairs clanging bottles and junk and I mean all night long too!).

~So the truck driver makes the decision to take the bed frame and lower it off of the second floor balcony, scratching and gouging the wooden head and foot-board, dragging it across the metal roofing and down to the 18 yr old kid that is only 5'1" tall, and weighing probably 100 lbs, waiting on the ground. Comical to say the least and the damage is soooo bad, it will have to be replaced. My LG ref, they scratched the side all up--right at your eye level sight--too. The kitchen table and chairs, are now loaded with scratches, and dings as the thugs damaged the paint every-where!!! I could not be at all areas at once to monitor but, were they purposely dragging and banging the furniture on the walls and on the ground like monkeys???  Luckily, the wardrobe cabinet and the dining table top, I had in the original protective cardboard packaging and received some damage but not as bad as the rest of the unprotected furniture did.

By the way, their online pictures showed a decent-looking box truck (elf-truck) but what arrived was a banged-up, screaching, rattling box truck!! If you're moving in the Cebu city area, I do not recommend "Cebu Trucking Services" at all!! Avoid them completely!!

Edited by Czechman
  • Like 2

Andrew2015
Posted
Posted (edited)

The best place to retire in the Philippines is in Tagaytay City. The weather is cool in there. Only 2-3 hours away from the Metro Manila and you will enjoy the cool breeze air, scenic view from Taal Volcano. Amenities like malls, restaurant and spa is very accessible. Unlimited things to offer who loves the outdoor activities. To see is to believe, if you are planning to retire in Tagaytay it is good to spend time and observe the place before you decide.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
removed link

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

The best place to retire in the Philippines is in Tagaytay City. The weather is cool in there. Only 2-3 hours away from the Metro Manila and you will enjoy the cool breeze air, scenic view from Taal Volcano. Amenities like malls, restaurant and spa is very accessible. Unlimited things to offer who loves the outdoor activities. To see is to believe, if you are planning to retire in Tagaytay it is good to spend time and observe the place before you decide.

You finally did it, fxck off and I knew all along you are just a small cock spammer, bye bye 

earthdome
Posted
Posted

MikeB, on 26 Feb 2015 - 10:28 AM, said:snapback.png

Czechman, on 26 Feb 2015 - 09:32 AM, said:snapback.png

If I move, don't have to be close to Cebu but, I do have to move my home-goods like a few appliances, bedroom and kitchen furniture, and a few more items but still, it's moving-transportation costs to be figured in as well. In the US, I could pay a moving company a few hundred to move me but here in the Phils, I don't think they exist...

They don't exist as franchises with fancy web sites but there are plenty of people who do moving, ask around. Move the valuables yourself and have someone you trust with them at all times.

Look under "Lipat Bahay" in the classified section of the news paper. That literally means transfer home.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Update, end of May, 2015, - regarding my move to my current choice retirement place, Cebu City:

Okay, I searched various sites under the term: "Lipat Bahay," and came up with some impressive results, like some on the OLX.com site. A couple looked very good and reputable also. There was one that seemed to stand-out quite well and their site was professional and had good reviews but no recent reviews after 2014 though. One even had a few posts on OLX, where they showed a picture of their daughters (I presume) standing in front of the truck, and showed their trucks available but no closed box trucks though -like an Elf-Box truck (made by Mitsubishi, Mazda, the other company - with I believe - 4 or 5 letters in their name). They looked impressive but they had no reviews or box-truck available so I declined on them.

Alright, so I made a decision to go with "Cebu Trucking Services," based on their site and they had impressive prior reviews as well. They based their rates starting at p1,500 for the box truck and 1 driver. Much to my surprise, the rate increased to p5,000, going from Lapu Lapu City to Cebu City, and adding 2 helpers: "Truck Boys," they called them! Regardless, I accepted and thought they would do well - again - based on the reviews on their site. Whoah, wrong choice and they nearly destroyed/damaged almost all of my (5mo old) furniture and appliances during the move!

They were to arrive early morning according to the main guy at the office in Cebu City, but they didn't get there until almost noon! The helpers, "Truck Boys" (they called them), were: a 25-30 yr old guy, and an inexperienced 18 yr old kid. They scratched, dinged, and chipped the bed because they could not force-it through the stairs opening because it was blocked by the "idiot-neighbor's" non-working, dysfunctional, dryer. However, had they moved this "idiot-neighbor's" non-working dryer (that the "idiot-neighbors" use for a table) that blocked the entrance, like I had told the movers too, this wouldn't have occurred. (FYI: One of the reasons I was moving was this "idiot-neighbor" that stayed up all night making noises and racing up and down the stairs clanging bottles and junk and I mean all night long too!).

~So the truck driver makes the decision to take the bed frame and lower it off of the second floor balcony, scratching and gouging the wooden head and foot-board, dragging it across the metal roofing and down to the 18 yr old kid that is only 5'1" tall, and weighing probably 100 lbs, waiting on the ground. Comical to say the least and the damage is soooo bad, it will have to be replaced. My LG ref, they scratched the side all up--right at your eye level sight--too. The kitchen table and chairs, are now loaded with scratches, and dings as the thugs damaged the paint every-where!!! I could not be at all areas at once to monitor but, were they purposely dragging and banging the furniture on the walls and on the ground like monkeys???  Luckily, the wardrobe cabinet and the dining table top, I had in the original protective cardboard packaging and received some damage but not as bad as the rest of the unprotected furniture did.

By the way, their online pictures showed a decent-looking box truck (elf-truck) but what arrived was a banged-up, screaching, rattling box truck!! If you're moving in the Cebu city area, I do not recommend "Cebu Trucking Services" at all!! Avoid them completely!!

Sorry to hear about your bad experience moving. My first move I had a few problems but small in comparison to your problems. On my second move that my wife arranged (nice 10x10x10 box truck) and which her brothers helped load things went great. On that move we did better preparation. We saved up on cardboard boxes and wrapped furniture and things which could get damaged in cardboard ahead of time before the movers arrived.