How Safe Is Cebu For White Americans?

KatsGma
Posted
Posted

My son and family were warned that he (white) should not be on the streets alone, always have a Philippino to accompany him; otherwise he might be attacked and robbed or murdered. Is that true?

usa32
Posted
Posted

Yes don't go anywhere in CEBU!

Hahah

It's like anything. Precautions should be taken. Would I say a white women, walking around cebu at night is a good idea? No

Would a white couple walking around in the day, and use best judgement on how they carry them self, be perfectly safe? Probably.

Most Philippine people like white people. But there are violent criminals in every country, so when in a big city, take precautions.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

This happened there yesterday: One foreigner killed and two wounded.  Lessons to be learned are do not argue with Filipinos and hide in the comfort room.

Chased

According to Haffner’s fiancee, they saw Saparaiya questioning the management. They ordered food and left.

While they were at the door, six armed men on three motorcycles arrived.

One of them suddenly shot Haffner in the shoulder, followed by several gunshots that broke the establishment’s door.

Haffner ran to the second floor and hid in the storage area. However, two gunmen followed him there and shot him several times, until he fell.

Police later found five empty shells and a deformed slug fired from a .40 pistol there.

Seconds after the shooting began, Millard and Saparaiya were peppered with bullets on the ground floor. Both foreigners were hit but managed to find their way to the comfort room, where they hid.

The huge window glass bore several bullet holes.

The police found 16 empty shells from a 9mm pistol; five empty shells from a .45 pistol; 11 deformed slugs fired from a gun of unknown caliber; and one deformed bullet outside the joint.

Haffner was brought by the Emergency Rescue Unit Foundation (ERUF) to Chong Hua Hospital, but he died few minutes after arriving at the hospital.

Priorities

Dayon said they will also look into the possible liability of the security guard who allegedly hid when the gunfire began.

This is the full article: http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2015/02/21/2-men-motorbike-kill-man-hurt-2-others-police-arrest-1-393429

callippo
Posted
Posted

It's probably as safe or as dangerous for white Americans as it is for the 80 million Americans who are not white. Fili-Ams are probably the most at risk as they are the ones who are the likeliest to get involved in dodgy stuff like drugs and/or crime that makes life anywhere, not just the Philippines, more dangerous.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Apparently, the German wasn't arguing with anyone. He probably wasn't even aware of the earlier "confrontation"; just in the wrong place, wrong time. Sadly, that happens.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have spent weeks in Cebu and never felt unsafe.  I travel alone all over the world and never felt unsafe (except in certain neighborhoods in the US - was my home).

Simple travel precautions that you use everywhere is all you need.  You know, Travel 101  - don't be an ass, don't go looking for trouble,  don't wave your money around...   :tiphat:

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am just looking at some Facebook snaps of two of my sisters in law, my English brother in law and my other half in Molave Plaza, late at night - evidently towards the end of a Good Night Out - amusing because three of the four look ready for bed and K, my partner, is in full Energizer Bunny mode...

Now Molave is in Zamboanga del Sur, where Americans Brits and Aussies are Not Meant To Go - and frankly the four of them - three girls and a "white man" - are safer than they would be in an English High Street at that time of night...

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Your profile indicates you live in California.  I spent three weeks in Fresno, CA when we bought a company there.  I was warned by several people and friends that I should not go out at night while working in Fresno.  They felt it was very dangerous, and I could be kidnapped, robbed, or even killed.  No large city anywhere in the world is completely safe.  I was careful of my surroundings while in Fresno, and I am also careful of my surroundings when visiting Cebu.  I have never felt threatened in either city.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

My son and family were warned that he (white) should not be on the streets alone, always have a Philippino to accompany him; otherwise he might be attacked and robbed or murdered. Is that true?

Who gave that warning? 

KatsGma
Posted
Posted

His father-in-law who is a Filipino. The father really got upset with his daughter, (my daughter-in-law) when she let her hubby walk from their rental apartment to her parent's house alone.