How Do You Make Contact

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Do they still make the Magic Jack that just plugs into a regular phone line? I haven't looked at Magic Jack for a couple of years...

earthdome
Posted
Posted

We have used Tawagpinas.com you load whatever amount you want onto your account, input your customer number then use your phone to call. Its about 13 cents a minute.

Yeah, I saw that one. From my quick research it seems that $.09/min to call landlines and $.14/min to call cell phone in the Philippines from the US is a pretty standard rate.

Of course if the person you want to call has the internet then you can use VOIP, Skype, etc. at no additional cost.

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)

Do they still make the Magic Jack that just plugs into a regular phone line? I haven't looked at Magic Jack for a couple of years...

The Magic Jack plugs into a network connection then you can plug a regular landline phone into the Magic Jack. The one I have also needs a USB connection for power. I have never used it since they have the Magic Jack App for Android phones.

Edited by earthdome

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what I was trying to say about the various apps/programs I mentioned, has been missed.  If both ends have a data load, it will cost you nothing, nada, zip, zero, zilch up to the point where you may have to pay for more data (significantly cheaper across the board than any old school international ISD rates). If you're talking pc-pc, through an isp rather than a telco 3G/4G connection it is completely free.  If you're in a western country where data is cheap, and certain applications in PI have free data (FB on Globe, etc), it's still free.  There's no reason to spend a cent, ever.  I can't remember the last time I actually called anyone from overseas in PI, via any means, where it cost me money.  Yes some of the applications do have options to pay, but I can't see the need for it, ever.  The line quality is the same, I suspect that they're relying on people that are used to having to pay for these things to continue paying because for once, something that is too good to be true is actually valid.  

PM me if you need assistance setting anything up or a rundown on why it's free. 

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what I was trying to say about the various apps/programs I mentioned, has been missed.  If both ends have a data load, it will cost you nothing, nada, zip, zero, zilch up to the point where you may have to pay for more data (significantly cheaper across the board than any old school international ISD rates). If you're talking pc-pc, through an isp rather than a telco 3G/4G connection it is completely free.  If you're in a western country where data is cheap, and certain applications in PI have free data (FB on Globe, etc), it's still free.  There's no reason to spend a cent, ever.  I can't remember the last time I actually called anyone from overseas in PI, via any means, where it cost me money.  Yes some of the applications do have options to pay, but I can't see the need for it, ever.  The line quality is the same, I suspect that they're relying on people that are used to having to pay for these things to continue paying because for once, something that is too good to be true is actually valid.  

PM me if you need assistance setting anything up or a rundown on why it's free. 

This is all true and of great benefit IF you are contacting someone who has a smartphone with a data plan and who lives in an area with a good data signal.

Some areas have spotty and weak regular cell phone service where a data connection would be very slow and impossible to use for VOIP. When calling people in those areas you need to use the old fashioned pay calls to a landline/cell phone.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
This is all true and of great benefit IF you are contacting someone who has a smartphone with a data plan and who lives in an area with a good data signal.   Some areas have spotty and weak regular cell phone service where a data connection would be very slow and impossible to use for VOIP. When calling people in those areas you need to use the old fashioned pay calls to a landline/cell phone.

I guess I've been lucky in that respect, even when I was in the back and beyond of Negros.  It's my understanding that Steve's family is in the Manila Metro area where connectivity is actually pretty good in my experience, so my answer was directed at the OP so is still valid. 95% of the time, it's fine for any sort of data be it VOIP, VidCon or the proprietary architecture used by Skype , etc, which is a damn sight more reliable than where I am currently located in Australia (yes, we're notorious for having the worst internet in the developed Western world).

earthdome
Posted
Posted

This is all true and of great benefit IF you are contacting someone who has a smartphone with a data plan and who lives in an area with a good data signal.   Some areas have spotty and weak regular cell phone service where a data connection would be very slow and impossible to use for VOIP. When calling people in those areas you need to use the old fashioned pay calls to a landline/cell phone.

I guess I've been lucky in that respect, even when I was in the back and beyond of Negros.  It's my understanding that Steve's family is in the Manila Metro area where connectivity is actually pretty good in my experience, so my answer was directed at the OP so is still valid. 95% of the time, it's fine for any sort of data be it VOIP, VidCon or the proprietary architecture used by Skype , etc, which is a damn sight more reliable than where I am currently located in Australia (yes, we're notorious for having the worst internet in the developed Western world).

Understood. My wife has family that live in an area where the only internet is at the school and cell phone coverage is spotty. Not even enough signal for SMS in many areas.

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

My wife's family has no Internet connection and we have been unable to confirm whether one is available in their area. So right now we call with a Skype subscription plan. It's a good rate.

But it's till not that easy. Mother does not have a phone so my wife has to call has sister or brother who live nearby and they carry their phone to mother.

We gave mother a phone a couple years ago but she gave it to one of the kids, who killed it. Fortunately mother has now agreed to accept a phone from us which she will keep for herself alone.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)

In situations where there's no data/net available (or where a Phils based family member/friend needs to call you) it might be cheaper to have them call you providing they have, or have access to, a PLDT landline. PLDT offers a Pre-paid "Budget" calling card. The rates are as low as p1.50 (roughly 3.5 cents USD) per minute (land line to land line) for calls to the USA and Canada and the cards are available in p100 and p200 increments. Note that the p100 card expires 30 days after it's activated (via first use) and the p200 card expires 60 days after activation.

A bit off topic, but I had Sprint in the USA. They don't really advertise it, but they have reciprocal agreements with Globe, Smart, Sun & TnT users in the Phils. For a flat USD 10.00 per month you get unli texting to all of those networks. The respondent in the Phils is charged the same as they would be for any local text and not international rates (that was the hardest thing to convey to some of them as a +11 number would show up on their screen) I used to use it quite often and it was good way to set up appointments to chat online with friends who had to go to net café to be online (where we cud use free VOIP/ C2C programs).

To get Sprint's international texting plan subscribers need to call customer service and ask for it to be added to their current plan, even most of the employee's at the Sprint stores have no idea about it. And no, I'm not a shill for Sprint. Just a satisfied customer.

http://www.pldtclarktel.com/residential.php

The PLDT pre-paid cards are available at most 7/11's and larger outlets where calling / load cards are sold.

Edited by Gator
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

The Magic Jack plugs into an Ethernet port.  Some models need a computer, others do not (plug directly into a port at a hotel for example). Mine does not need a computer for he connection and I can plug it into either a power outlet or USB.  I use the USB for power because it is more convenient for my setup.

I have the Magic Jack on my Android phone so anywhere with WiFi connection, I have my Dallas, TX phone with me.