New Car Warranties In The Philippines

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I started to look at the manufacturers and what they say. Basically, it comes down to proving that the maintenance with was carried out.

Are you talking about manufacturers in the US / CA?

In the U.S. it is illegal for a warranty to require preventative maintenance to be at the dealer in order for the warranty to be valid.  So you can take it anywhere for PM and the warranty should still valid as long as you have your records straight.  Of course warranty work must be done at the dealer.

I don't think that is the case here in PH, based on what I am being told.  They are saying the warranty requires PM to be done at the dealer.  I have not seen it in writing.

Nope! That would be the Philippine divisions.

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

I keep hearing that the warranty is void if regular maintenance is not carried out by the dealer... But has anyone actually contacted the manufacturer to ensure this is true? And, of course, I would do this in print so I would have a hard copy if the reply!

The problem here may be that on most makes, the manufacturer may not be involved. They franchise out the cars and the local company sets the terms of the warranty.

I have heard this meant times myself. It didn't click on until i read a newspaper article with a dealer talking about how the warranties work... its the same as what we are used to... Dealerships are franchised and cars are distributed as per normal... But dealerships don't like to call about warrantee work because they themselves get confused about what is converted and what is not when somebody else did work on the vehicle. Most manufacturers have given up on changing this And just file the dealer's lead. a And some manufacturers have gotten upset over other mechanics not doing the proper job and causing more problems... Example? Peugeot... Their electronics system is so sensitive that installing a dash cam may actually screw up their computer system. But, even if you did install a dash can, only that affected by the computer bring TU would be voideded by warranty-the rest still stands.

Edit: i should add that the dealer would probably say the entire warranty was void in the example i gave.

Edited by i am bob

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Example? Peugeot... Their electronics system is so sensitive that installing a dash cam may actually screw up their computer system. But, even if you did install a dash can, only that affected by the computer bring TU would be voideded by warranty-the rest still stands.

Note to self:  Cross Peugeot off the list

You bring to mind another question I have for them.  For instance, if I decide to blow off the engine warranty and do all my oil changes myself, will the bumper to bumper warranty for everything else still be honored?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Example? Peugeot... Their electronics system is so sensitive that installing a dash cam may actually screw up their computer system. But, even if you did install a dash can, only that affected by the computer bring TU would be voideded by warranty-the rest still stands.

You bring to mind another question I have for them.  For instance, if I decide to blow off the engine warranty and do all my oil changes myself, will the bumper to bumper warranty for everything else still be honored?

Depends on the dealer and the manufacturer... i know Kia is much easier on what you can and can't do. I've also heard that some manufacturers are now including free basic maintenance on a new car purchase... So no need to pay extra by doing it yourself...

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

Depends on the dealer and the manufacturer... i know Kia is much easier on what you can and can't do. I've also heard that some manufacturers are now including free basic maintenance on a new car purchase... So no need to pay extra by doing it yourself...

I think I found the article you are referring to, by James Deakin.  I follow him on his web page but had not seen that article.  He seems like a solid guy and is an outspoken critic of all things stupid with LTO, law enforecement, etc.

http://jamesdeakin.ph/

Another good automotive site is Top Gear PH:

http://www.topgear.com.ph/

Edited by OnMyWay

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Well I've just this morning bought a second-hand Mitsubishi Lancer, 2009 (ish) with 26.9 km (ish) on the clock, one registered owner, for PHP370,000. Whether it was a good buy or not only time will tell.

Didn't want new, didn't want a battle tank (i.e. the Ford Everest the wife drives) and didn't want one that screamed "Expat" at everyone that set eyes on it. Hopefully it's anonymous but with some driving satisfaction as well.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mate the the actual chance of you getting a malfunction outside the engine and transmission is very low. In fact even the modern electronic timed engines and transmissions don't go wrong in the first 3 years. The caveat being that you can get a defect straight out of the workshop and they give you checkups at 2000 or 3000 km and 5000 km don't they. A guy like you who will meticulously change the oil and use the car reasonably, could still come out ahead of a guy who follows the manufacturers service schedule.

When I was in Saudi and had kids in school, I ran 2 new cars most of the time. Here in Phils I had good luck with a 2004 D Max...however I am in the market for a new car. With enough money coming in, I reckon dealer financing is the way to go. The pensions make the payments free and I reckon 15 years or more on a quality vehicle like the D Max.

Cash is the other option. In that case, if I had cash, I would go used. Low mileage is the main criteria I look for, if I could get the right model. Plenty available on Ayos Dito I notice.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Mate the the actual chance of you getting a malfunction outside the engine and transmission is very low. In fact even the modern electronic timed engines and transmissions don't go wrong in the first 3 years. The caveat being that you can get a defect straight out of the workshop and they give you checkups at 2000 or 3000 km and 5000 km don't they. A guy like you who will meticulously change the oil and use the car reasonably, could still come out ahead of a guy who follows the manufacturers service schedule.

You hit the nail on the head:  A:  Drive a long way to the dealer and pay high prices for PM    Or B:  Do most of the main PM (oil changes) ourselves

It would probably fall in the middle.  My friend has a Chevy Colorado pickup that he loves (after 10 months) and he plans on having the dealer do the PM for the first year or 2, and then switch.  If any major bugs are in the truck, they would probably show up by then.

BTW, did you know the newer D-max shares the same platform as the Colorado?  Joint venture between Isuzu and Chevy.  Same for MU-X and Trailblazer.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Well I've just this morning bought a second-hand Mitsubishi Lancer, 2009 (ish) with 26.9 km (ish) on the clock, one registered owner, for PHP370,000. Whether it was a good buy or not only time will tell.

I paid 390 for my 2009 Avanza almost 2 years ago and it has been great, but does not have any amenities and is not a good car for the expressway.  I might keep it after I buy a new car.

Didn't want new, didn't want a battle tank (i.e. the Ford Everest the wife drives) and didn't want one that screamed "Expat" at everyone that set eyes on it. Hopefully it's anonymous but with some driving satisfaction as well.

I decided to go larger on account of the kids and extra protection a larger vehicle adds.  I did think about the "expat" angle but most of the vehicles I am interested in are widely owned by Filipinos, e.g. the Toyota Fortuner.  Sometimes it seems like half the parking lots here are filled with Fortuners.

chris49
Posted
Posted

Agree 200%. Massive US Cars bring massive maintainence costs and they look ridiculous esp driving around Metro areas. They are programmed to last about 10 years or less before things start falling apart. Thinngs like door handles start falling off..Dad had one way back when we were in the USA, not for me, no way.