jpbago
Posted
Posted
. Plenty available on Ayos

No more Ayos. OLX.ph bought them out.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Agree 200%. Massive US Cars bring massive maintainence costs and they look ridiculous esp driving around Metro areas. They are programmed to last about 10 years or less before things start falling apart. Thinngs like door handles start falling off..Dad had one way back when we were in the USA, not for me, no way.

I'm not sure what you define as massive.  Most of the SUVs sold by Chevy and Ford in Asia are targeted for the Asian / Emerging markets and are not sold in the U.S.  They do sell the Suburban and Expedition here and those are so big I would never buy one no matter where I live.  There is a company in Subic Freeport that converts these to bullet and bombproof vehicles, in case you need one!   :no:  Prices aren't that bad and start at around p 2 mil for 2011/12.

Regarding quality, most U.S. manufacturers have increased quality tremendously in the past 5-10 years.  They had to or they would not be able to compete with Toyota, etc., in the U.S. market.  If you are talking about the situation 30 years ago, I agree, the quality was crap.

There are a lot of older U.S. cars on the road here in PH that would fall into the crap category.  However, most of the new ones are quite solid.  I would even prefer them over some European brands that are awesome driving cars but have had a lot of bugs in the past several years.

chris49
Posted
Posted

Agree 200%. Massive US Cars bring massive maintainence costs and they look ridiculous esp driving around Metro areas. They are programmed to last about 10 years or less before things start falling apart. Thinngs like door handles start falling off..Dad had one way back when we were in the USA, not for me, no way.

I'm not sure what you define as massive.  Most of the SUVs sold by Chevy and Ford in Asia are targeted for the Asian / Emerging markets and are not sold in the U.S.  They do sell the Suburban and Expedition here and those are so big I would never buy one no matter where I live.  There is a company in Subic Freeport that converts these to bullet and bombproof vehicles, in case you need one!   :no:  Prices aren't that bad and start at around p 2 mil for 2011/12.

Regarding quality, most U.S. manufacturers have increased quality tremendously in the past 5-10 years.  They had to or they would not be able to compete with Toyota, etc., in the U.S. market.  If you are talking about the situation 30 years ago, I agree, the quality was crap.

There are a lot of older U.S. cars on the road here in PH that would fall into the crap category.  However, most of the new ones are quite solid.  I would even prefer them over some European brands that are awesome driving cars but have had a lot of bugs in the past several years.

Massive means Big like the Expidition. Friend had one...not sure how old the model....5000 k upwards to repair the A/C, replace condenser I think. He's a rich man, owns a few David's Salons franchises, so it didn't matter too him...but really.

chris49
Posted
Posted

. Plenty available on Ayos

No more Ayos. OLX.ph bought them out.

Talaga?  Really, their ads used to appear all the time. No wonder I haven't seen them lately.

RBM
Posted
Posted

I have not read all the reply's here so hope my comments not covered.

I purchased a new Chevy around a year ago in Cebu.  The warranty claims are dependent on regular service done by Chevy. As i posted earlier this is a complete rip off, outrageous charges and unnecessary work.

In future I will have my own oil changes done and void my warranty.

One problem I have is a leaky tyre at rear, according to two opinions one from Goodyear and another reputable shop its a manufacturing fault. I will be returning it next week to Chevy so going to interested if they intend to repair or replace.  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I purchased a new Chevy around a year ago in Cebu.  The warranty claims are dependent on regular service done by Chevy. As i posted earlier this is a complete rip off, outrageous charges and unnecessary work.

One problem I have is a leaky tyre at rear, according to two opinions one from Goodyear and another reputable shop its a manufacturing fault. I will be returning it next week to Chevy so going to interested if they intend to repair or replace.  

By coincidence yesterday I spoke to my daughter's classmate's father who bought a Chevy Spin about a year ago.  He is getting his oil changes done locally and does not care about the warranty.  He also says the PM at Chevy is too expensive.  He is a Filipino doctor.

I think the tires are under a separate warranty?

RBM
Posted
Posted

By coincidence yesterday I spoke to my daughter's classmate's father who bought a Chevy Spin about a year ago.  He is getting his oil changes done locally and does not care about the warranty.  He also says the PM at Chevy is too expensive.  He is a Filipino doctor.

I think the tires are under a separate warranty?

According to Goodyear the rim is faulty but do not intend to make a big deal out of it as its a slow leak, as in very slow. May just pop it in as spare as without weight doubt it deflate much.

• Like 1

deevey
Posted
Posted

They do sell the Suburban and Expedition here and those are so big I would never buy one no matter where I live.

They are so big you could live IN one. Couple that with the bomb / bulletproofing and it'd be safer than some houses  :lol:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

RBM, maybe you could have the tire filled with Nitrogen? Bigger molecules that take longer to leak out.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
If you are patient you can find one that has been maintained with some regularity.

Well, I got lucky this time!  I found a 6 month old car I like being sold by an expat, and saved about 20% off what I would have paid brand new.  Not many out there like that.  LTO paid for 3 years and I even get the balance of his insurance for 6 months.

• Like 1