Woodworking Or Building Stuff.....anyone?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
 I do all mine by hand, with no power tools.

Yes, I did a couple of projects like that and found it very rewarding.  Only a bookcase and a bed and very amateurish so no pics  :36_1_68[1]:  but I had not done that kind of thing before and had not done anything without power tools for decades.  Lots of nice memories and blisters and don't think I will do much more of it.  Lots of fun for a while though.

• Like 3

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately I didn't bring my woodworking hand tools with me when I left the US (big mistake) I thought surely they would have them here ..... WRONG .... some yes but the real neat ones no .... finally found a straight spoke shave after years of looking and never have found ones with a concave, or convex soles .... simple things like GOOD wood bits or wooden planes in sizes other than block ...... trim or finishing seem to be non-existent .... haven't found a draw-knife yet or corner chisels for making mortise and tenon joints ...... when we lived in Cebu I found  it much more conducive to find woodworking tools although not of the caliber of those back in the US but still usable but with constant sharpening ..... here in Bacolod I'm not so lucky but very thankful I made quite a few purchases before we moved here from Cebu ....

Good news is that lumber is cheaper here if you don't mind buying quarter sawed stuff and finishing it yourself .... oh yea ..... forget about the sizes of wood you are used to .... sizes here are NOT what you would expect .... length is usually OK but width and thickness is very much different .... so if you plan or design a table top of 4ft by 6ft .... using 2x6's you 4ft will be likely 3ft 6in. ..... length will be OK .... I used 2in thickness because your actual thickness will more than likely be 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 .... still haven't figured out how they measure it ....

And my biggest disappointment in wood is not being able to to find dowel rods in various dia. or lengths .... hell .... I'd settle for dowel rods of ANY dis. ..... and also wooden wedges are no where to be found .... now I know you can make these two items but the time involved and the lack of proper hand tools makes this little job almost impossible .... (I have resorted to using some bamboo for dowel rods in the past .....  :mocking: )

Oh well enough as I could go on for hours at the risk of boring you to death .... :tiphat:  :hystery:  :hystery:

:cheersty:  

You had me at "straight spoke shave."

• Like 2

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the responses.  I'm with Dave on this, and certainly am still a beginner.  My wife knows I'm a math guy and I can turn a wrench, but building with wood is not my forte'.  So to actually BUILD something for her, it made her respect me more, I guess.   That's the point of all this....if we want our wives to love us for something other than our wallets, we have to make effort and aside from telling her how awesome we USED TO BE (as i do after  two beers :)), we need to do something NOW.  Building simple stuff is a good start...."OMG, I had no idea you could do that."  :)   

• Like 3

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Woodwork - count me in. When I move to the Philippines, my tools will go with me. 

Here's one I made earlier...

A019D6E1-7BFF-4CAA-9A9C-3973D8A3ABEB_zps

OK...that's just not fair. :)

• Like 2

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

well I see we ve found something that tickles everyone fancy, injoyed the pics of the boats, and the puns on right handed tools, I think that's you psyich I suggest when you buy an new tool and print in big letter left handed so everyone can see. we ought to keep this up with pics and discussion

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately I didn't bring my woodworking hand tools with me when I left the US (big mistake) I thought surely they would have them here ..... WRONG .... some yes but the real neat ones no .... finally found a straight spoke shave after years of looking and never have found ones with a concave, or convex soles .... simple things like GOOD wood bits or wooden planes in sizes other than block ...... trim or finishing seem to be non-existent .... haven't found a draw-knife yet or corner chisels for making mortise and tenon joints ...... when we lived in Cebu I found  it much more conducive to find woodworking tools although not of the caliber of those back in the US but still usable but with constant sharpening ..... here in Bacolod I'm not so lucky but very thankful I made quite a few purchases before we moved here from Cebu ....

Good news is that lumber is cheaper here if you don't mind buying quarter sawed stuff and finishing it yourself .... oh yea ..... forget about the sizes of wood you are used to .... sizes here are NOT what you would expect .... length is usually OK but width and thickness is very much different .... so if you plan or design a table top of 4ft by 6ft .... using 2x6's you 4ft will be likely 3ft 6in. ..... length will be OK .... I used 2in thickness because your actual thickness will more than likely be 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 .... still haven't figured out how they measure it ....

And my biggest disappointment in wood is not being able to to find dowel rods in various dia. or lengths .... hell .... I'd settle for dowel rods of ANY dis. ..... and also wooden wedges are no where to be found .... now I know you can make these two items but the time involved and the lack of proper hand tools makes this little job almost impossible .... (I have resorted to using some bamboo for dowel rods in the past .....  :mocking: )

Oh well enough as I could go on for hours at the risk of boring you to death .... :tiphat:  :hystery:  :hystery:

:cheersty:  

OK... that is useful advice... ALL my hand tools are going to go in the container, including the dowelling jigs, handsaws, planes, the LOT.

• Like 3

fred
Posted
Posted

How to make wooden pliers.

• Like 4

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

I have a pair that he made for me and some other scouts in our troop at the Holmes Co. fair, 

• Like 2

fred
Posted
Posted

I have a pair that he made for me and some other scouts in our troop at the Holmes Co. fair, 

Wow!!

Talk about a small world.

Those things are like a Chinese puzzle in reverse and I`m amazed at how he still has all his fingers!

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

You don't need special tools, all you need is a chainsaw.

post-2913-0-64752000-1425097637_thumb.jp

post-2913-0-85833300-1425097668_thumb.jp

post-2913-0-38309000-1425097683_thumb.jp

• Like 3