Visitors Arriving Earlier Than Agreed !!!

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

i thought you were referring to speaking in only the local language during the party...

I was, as the OP said the invitation stated ALL conversation will be in Indonesian. This is not at all a good Idea, we will never be quick enough to catch onto any local language and to me it is just not on. I have been to quite a few of parties that are Bisya only Speaking and as I said 3 hours of listening to just a totally incomprehensible conversation well, what can I say. When they are all talking together as they do at the speed and noise they do. I do not relish again Sitting in the Corner totally alone cos that's where you end up. But wait, this is YOUR house, where can you go, you Gotta be there til the last bugger goes Home.

NAH! For me a Rethink  :thumbsup:

Jack  :tiphat:

Have to agree with you Jack, after the initial hello's, how are you to all and sundry, I sit there like a shag on a rock, now when-ever I have to go to any event I ask who is going and as most of girls here have expat b/f / husband I ring around and ask if they are attending and they usually do the same, so at least you have some one to chat with. Other than that I find the closet sorry store and sit in the corner alone and drink, there are worst ways to spend a night, the eye candy is usually pretty ok too.

• Like 2

Hesalright
Posted
Posted

I'm not asian but I arrive early so I can get the closest seat to the bar...

Did you have free beer?

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Nice topic, we just returned from a trip to Dumaguete. During the visit happened to be talking to a well off couple filipna brit whom just built a spectacular house in Valencia.

He commented that the high society guests whom attended the roof ceremony  behaved like pigs....Was shocking, food was eaten like animals, many brought Robinson empty shopping bags and stuffed them with food to take home. 

What is with such people, driving new cars, well off, why on earth do they resort to such behavior?

The more they can get for free means the more they have for things like shiney new cars! Just think! "I don't have to buy groceries for 2 weeks! What shiney thing can i get to show how great i am? "

Some rich spend more than they can afford to LOOK richer than they are...   :1 (103):

Btw they had written at the invitation ALL conversation will be in Indonesian 

Thomas, Why would a Swede, Invite people to his house and say All conversation will be in Indonesian? OK I am all for learning a little of a Host Language but in your own House? surely this is a little odd to me. No wonder people take advantage. These people think the Party Host is there for the Pickings Now what about any Foreigners attending? Where would they Fit into this rather bizarre situation?

Because of some similar reason as I haven spoken for learning the LOCAL language instead of just speak English  :)

=This family had got some Indonesian "a bit" friends, but did what they could to get some closer friends.

I DON'T plan to study the local language to speak it fluent, but mainly of COURTESY to the locals...

I don't know how good he speak, who even assist working with harvests, but the other one can only a litle, but because of the locals LIKE he TRY some, his regular suppliers ask "Filipino price" from him.

i thought you were referring to speaking in only the local language during the party...

I was, as the OP said the invitation stated ALL conversation will be in Indonesian. This is not at all a good Idea, we will never be quick enough to catch onto any local language and to me it is just not on. I have been to quite a few of parties that are Bisya only Speaking and as I said 3 hours of listening to just a totally incomprehensible conversation well, what can I say. When they are all talking together as they do at the speed and noise they do. I do not relish again Sitting in the Corner totally alone cos that's where you end up. But wait, this is YOUR house, where can you go, you Gotta be there til the last bugger goes Home.

Well. Yes, sometimes that can be boring,

BUT it can be boring too to UNDERSTAND what people say   :mocking:   because many talk much about "nothing", or subjects which don't interest me.  Much tsisnmis can be boring.     If they know we have problem understand, we don't need to listen  :dance:     and if gf/wife find we need to know something, I'm sure they tell us   :)

If liking puzzles it can be interesting for a while to try to figuere out the main parts of the conversation just by looking at bofy languages and notice the few words you understand.

If I get bored I just go and play with the kids, go looking at some nice nature or just stay and relax.  If I don't need to listen, I can meditate with a lot of people around too   :dance:  

(I haven't started studying the language yet, I don't know if I will manage to learn it after my SHORT memory got damaged by brain inflamation, leting just litle through to be stored in my long memory, but before the brain inflamation I learned enough Spanish in a half year to understand the main, so I will give it a try.

The big part of the talk in my home will be in English anyway even IF I will know the local language, to assist the kids to get TWO "first languages".)

MacBubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here in Toronto, I have witnessed the post-party food packing practice at nearly all the Filipino parties I've attended. My wife said that when she was new in Toronto and saw it for the first time, it was explained to her that here, we have no maids, so surplus party food taken home means one doesn't have to cook a meal or two. 

It isn't something I've given much thought to, but in all the parties hosted by her friends and her family in the Philippines, I have never seen it done.  People come and eat their fill, then go home without surplus rations. (And it's not for lack of surplus.)

Edited by MacBubba

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Nice topic, we just returned from a trip to Dumaguete. During the visit happened to be talking to a well off couple filipna brit whom just built a spectacular house in Valencia.

He commented that the high society guests whom attended the roof ceremony behaved like pigs....Was shocking, food was eaten like animals, many brought Robinson empty shopping bags and stuffed them with food to take home.

What is with such people, driving new cars, well off, why on earth do they resort to such behavior?

The more they can get for free means the more they have for things like shiney new cars! Just think! "I don't have to buy groceries for 2 weeks! What shiney thing can i get to show how great i am? "
Some rich spend more than they can afford to LOOK richer than they are... :1 (103):

Btw they had written at the invitation ALL conversation will be in Indonesian

Thomas, Why would a Swede, Invite people to his house and say All conversation will be in Indonesian? OK I am all for learning a little of a Host Language but in your own House? surely this is a little odd to me. No wonder people take advantage. These people think the Party Host is there for the Pickings Now what about any Foreigners attending? Where would they Fit into this rather bizarre situation?
Because of some similar reason as I haven spoken for learning the LOCAL language instead of just speak English :)

=This family had got some Indonesian "a bit" friends, but did what they could to get some closer friends.

I DON'T plan to study the local language to speak it fluent, but mainly of COURTESY to the locals...

I don't know how good he speak, who even assist working with harvests, but the other one can only a litle, but because of the locals LIKE he TRY some, his regular suppliers ask "Filipino price" from him.

Well. Yes, sometimes that can be boring,

BUT it can be boring too to UNDERSTAND what people say :mocking: because many talk much about "nothing", or subjects which don't interest me. Much tsisnmis can be boring. If they know we have problem understand, we don't need to listen :dance: and if gf/wife find we need to know something, I'm sure they tell us :)

If liking puzzles it can be interesting for a while to try to figuere out the main parts of the conversation just by looking at bofy languages and notice the few words you understand.

If I get bored I just go and play with the kids, go looking at some nice nature or just stay and relax. If I don't need to listen, I can meditate with a lot of people around too :dance:

(I haven't started studying the language yet, I don't know if I will manage to learn it after my SHORT memory got damaged by brain inflamation, leting just litle through to be stored in my long memory, but before the brain inflamation I learned enough Spanish in a half year to understand the main, so I will give it a try.

The big part of the talk in my home will be in English anyway even IF I will know the local language, to assist the kids to get TWO "first languages".)

I agree with you, Thomas... It's a good way to learn the language by someone immersing ourselves into a situation like this! My ex from Taiwan was a member of the Dao Temple in Hamilton (Canada) and I would sometimes attend with her. There was always a meal of different foods from Taiwan and China after and lots of conversation... And some of the wives and older people who came to Canada with their sons and daughters could not speak English... My Mandarin at the start was limited to only a few words but after several visits, I could follow the gist of any conversation! And I stopped calling my ex's mother a horse! That's always an OOPS!
  • Like 1