Deviousness Greed Deceitfulness

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Any Internet sales anywhere in the world are fraught with scamming. Craigslist is ubiquitous but a complete playgroup for cheats. Whether you are trying to buy or sell, expect half the contacts to be some kind of scam.

Even when you are honest, it will backfire. I sold something on CL a year or so ago and indicated a flaw in the product, which was why the price was lower than average. The item quickly sold. A week later I was contacted by someone else. Seems my buyer immediately posted the item for sale again, except for a higher price and without mentioning the flaw. Someone bought it and then discovered the problem and the fact that I had sold it just weeks before.

Nowadays it's not just "buyer beware" but seller beware also - and not just in the Philippines.

Edited by davewe

RBM
Posted
Posted

Any Internet sales anywhere in the world are fraught with scamming. Craigslist is ubiquitous but a complete playgroup for cheats. Whether you are trying to buy or sell, expect half the contacts to be some kind of scam.

Even when you are honest, it will backfire. I sold something on CL a year or so ago and indicated a flaw in the product, which was why the price was lower than average. The item quickly sold. A week later I was contacted by someone else. Seems my buyer immediately posted the item for sale again, except for a higher price and without mentioning the flaw. Someone bought it and then discovered the problem and the fact that I had sold it just weeks before.

Nowadays it's not just "buyer beware" but seller beware also - and not just in the Philippines.

Dave as OP I was really trying to gauge if this cheating among friends family is more prominent here than in the west. Seems from posters this may well be the case.

Cheating anonynously, example on line auctions, bad is it is just does not stack up to my experience here. What's of interest is if this kind of deceit is most accepted here than in the west. Seems it very well may be from examples that have been quoted.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Sometimes wish I had the social skills to get a friend to sell me something at a lower price just so I can resell and make a profit. Many of us will help out a friend only to find out they just resold something at a higher price. Happens to me all the time in the car parts world. Person hits me up for a part for their car, help a fellow car guy out. Need it to get mine running. Nah, they are after the quick turn around. Would not care so much if they would at least return the favor if they had a part I needed.

These types of people have social abilities many of us lack. Experience and time eventually harden us to these practices.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
These types of people have social abilities many of us lack.

Ya mean like the ability to shed their skin?

• Like 3

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

These types of people have social abilities many of us lack.

That to :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:unsure: Snakes in the grass comes to mind here :rolleyes: Every family has them  

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Sometimes wish I had the social skills to get a friend to sell me something at a lower price just so I can resell and make a profit. Many of us will help out a friend only to find out they just resold something at a higher price. Happens to me all the time in the car parts world. Person hits me up for a part for their car, help a fellow car guy out. Need it to get mine running. Nah, they are after the quick turn around. Would not care so much if they would at least return the favor if they had a part I needed.

These types of people have social abilities many of us lack. Experience and time eventually harden us to these practices.

It seem some business type are as magnets to scammers and shady people, so although SOME are honest there too, the percentage of bad behaving people are much higher in some business types in our home countries too  - as e g second hand cars   :lol:

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

My brand new Schwinn Mountain bike was stolen from my home. It was only a few months old. I kept it chained to a metal post in my yard.

My neighbor came to my door and told me he saw a guy take it. Other neighbors also saw him. No one tried to stop him. Many of my neighbors were outside when I went out. They were just looking and seeing what I was going to do. One neighbor came in his p/u truck and we went looking all over the place for it. No luck and no need to notify the local police. I never bothered to get the serial number off the bike.

Just my loss. I have since had a thick wrought iron wall with spikes on top installed.I keep it locked with a big lock even when I am home. I also put a big thick chain on the gate when we leave.

This probably would have happened in the US as well.

I just dropped my guard and some deceitful thief ( maybe even a neighbor) took advantage.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Just my loss. I have since had a thick wrought iron wall with spikes on top installed.I keep it locked with a big lock even when I am home. I also put a big thick chain on the gate when we leave.

Like in Most Countries in this world, no matter what security measures we take, if a thief wants something, he/she will have it. :rolleyes:

I always get a little wary when I see new faces in the Purok. The Jungle drums normally start shortly after a new Family move into the Barangay and then you just have to keep your eyes and ears open, for their movements around your Area. :unsure:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

Larry45
Posted
Posted

My brand new Schwinn Mountain bike was stolen from my home. It was only a few months old. I kept it chained to a metal post in my yard.

My neighbor came to my door and told me he saw a guy take it. Other neighbors also saw him. No one tried to stop him. Many of my neighbors were outside when I went out. They were just looking and seeing what I was going to do. One neighbor came in his p/u truck and we went looking all over the place for it. No luck and no need to notify the local police. I never bothered to get the serial number off the bike.

This probably would have happened in the US as well.

I just dropped my guard and some deceitful thief ( maybe even a neighbor) took advantage.

Many (not all) Filipinos think differently than we do, and the thief's thought process was something like this, "Well, he wasn't using it so much.  He would never even miss it if someone 'borrowed' it.  And he's so rich he can just buy a new one like Filipinos buy a bag of rice."  

Sorry for your loss, and it's a good example of why I'm deterred from ever having any nice things while living here. 

• Like 1