Larry45
Posted
Posted (edited)

delete

Edited by Larry45

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Let's not turn this into an "All Filipinos Are Devious" thread... We will find devious people anywhere we go - including our hometowns in our home countries.

• Like 5

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I would like to refer here to my thread on high trust societies and low trust societies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBM
Posted
Posted

Let's not turn this into an "All Filipinos Are Devious" thread... We will find devious people anywhere we go - including our hometowns in our home countries.

As OP I would like to remind posters of my opening paragraph, there is no suggestion this type of deceit is only in the Philippines.

I

• Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted

Before the mods consider deleting this article please consider. I am not saying it does not happen in Western countries, just have never experienced or heard of happening abroad.

As I posted earlier we decided to sell a couple of our motorcycles and advertised them accordingly.

Among the scores of replies a couple  seemed more genuine, both after the TTR. Coincidentally both callers were from Southern leyte. one, lets call him Mr B was saying to my GF he knew me very well and was my friend, he demanded to speak with me. Due to the 99% number of reply's being  time wasters I made a rule not speak to any interested party unless they turned up to view.    

I did how ever vaguely remember a guy of this name when I was trail riding with a group  in Leyte some years ago. 

During the calls of Mr B Mr D was also calling expressing much interest in same bike, we just informed them both whom ever arrives and ants to pay the price will own same.

last Monday during our regular gym work out Mr B suddenly burst in, I did not recolonize him but he sure knew me. greeted me like a long brother.  Earlier that day Mr D had called again saying he will send his close friend to inspect the bike, this was first time we joined them together.

Apparently Mr B just arrived and asked around and locals informed him where I was. Well he was not even interested in the bike just the price. He explained that his best friend, they went to school together had sent him to inspect and purchase the bike if suitable. Further I was forced to listen to his hard times, lack of money and so forth. Sound familiar?

Suddenly the final plan became clear.....he wanted to remove the large carrier, plus some other cosmetic changes so the bike would not be recognizable to Mr D. next he called Mr D explained the bike advertised is not suitable. But....he with his contacts was able to source another, be it some P20K dearer which is very suitable. Further as my GF over heard the conversation he needed extra funding for passage food and all sorts of things, on top of his salary....

Fellow members, this was to his life long friend, get it!!! His best friend.

Money was deposited to my account, I had to with drawer the excess 20K plus to pay him out.... guess in many ways i am party to to this deceit. 

i still have problems getting my head around this treachery, a dealer yup sure but a best friend......

I would have immediately rang Mr D and told him what was going on. Keeping quiet just encourages the corruption that most seem to despise.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I would have immediately rang Mr D and told him what was going on. Keeping quiet just encourages the corruption that most seem to despise.

Given that the OP was complicit and Mr B knows exactly where he and his family live I think that would be a major mistake. People get killed over stupid crap like that and nobody does anything. I agree, however, on getting the overage back to the buyer - but leave the "friend" out of it. If I was selling anything substantial here like a car, bike, house, etc I would exhaust the foreigner market first, then go to the locals. If it's a relatively inexpensive item give it away. Not worth dealing with it.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

I suspect Curley that you have zero experience in selling any item here in the Philippines.

Its one of the most frustrating and difficult experiences one can have. Especially any item of substance.

It was considered to cancel the the sale, how ever from experience I know we would still own the item. Basically its like winning a lotto to successfully close a sale, does one hand it back because MrB is ripping off Mr D.....Both of whom I do not know personally....

No I don't think so. This type of activity is not to be condoned, however seems to be as common as eating rice here.  

gusincebu
Posted
Posted

Friend and wife selling house on Bantayan Island ..local lass brings along her Danish ( and quite recent boyfriend ), who understands that he is going to have to buy it in her name ! .. as soon as positive buying signals are apparent .. she .. the girlfriend, who is about to become the owner .. starts to negotiate in bisayan with mates wife .. " a commision on the sale, for introducing the buyer ! "

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Lou49
Posted
Posted

Friend and wife selling house on Bantayan Island ..local lass brings along her Danish ( and quite recent boyfriend ), who understands that he is going to have to buy it in her name ! .. as soon as positive buying signals are apparent .. she .. the girlfriend, who is about to become the owner .. starts to negotiate in bisayan with mates wife .. " a commision on the sale, for introducing the buyer ! "

Sigh.........