Best Locations In Cebu?

worldwander
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I'm interested in staying in Cebu for a month or two and would like advice on areas to consider. Here are my requirements:

1) Nice: either green or beachy with surroundings that generally look nice. Urban is OK too if its kept clean...

2) Safe: OK to walk around (at night even!) if you leave your rolex at home and keep your fancy phone out of your face.

3) Accessible: I don't want rent and maintain a vehicle; good access via public transportation, with taxis as backup, is preferred.

4) Fun: I'm a young, single guy so I'll want to go out at night. I don't want to be in the middle of partytown, but I want to be able to reach (and return from) a music venue or two.

There are probably lots of folks who are new to Cebu and looking for similar areas, so this thread may be useful to more than just me.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I'm interested in staying in Cebu for a month or two and would like advice on areas to consider. Here are my requirements:

1) Nice: either green or beachy with surroundings that generally look nice. Urban is OK too if its kept clean...

2) Safe: OK to walk around (at night even!) if you leave your rolex at home and keep your fancy phone out of your face.

3) Accessible: I don't want rent and maintain a vehicle; good access via public transportation, with taxis as backup, is preferred.

4) Fun: I'm a young, single guy so I'll want to go out at night. I don't want to be in the middle of partytown, but I want to be able to reach (and return from) a music venue or two.

There are probably lots of folks who are new to Cebu and looking for similar areas, so this thread may be useful to more than just me.

Sorry to say but you may need to reconsider your choice of cities....

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Hello, I'm interested in staying in Cebu for a month or two and would like advice on areas to consider. Here are my requirements: 1) Nice: either green or beachy with surroundings that generally look nice. Urban is OK too if its kept clean... 2) Safe: OK to walk around (at night even!) if you leave your rolex at home and keep your fancy phone out of your face. 3) Accessible: I don't want rent and maintain a vehicle; good access via public transportation, with taxis as backup, is preferred. 4) Fun: I'm a young, single guy so I'll want to go out at night. I don't want to be in the middle of partytown, but I want to be able to reach (and return from) a music venue or two. There are probably lots of folks who are new to Cebu and looking for similar areas, so this thread may be useful to more than just me.

Have you ever been to Philippines, your profile shows you in Cebu?

What you ask is difficult on a budget but there are some reasonable beach resorts on Mactan. Keep in mind the internet prices are for rich Kanos. :unsure: 

The ocean near Cebu City is polluted, the air pollution can be awful at times.

Safety is relative to the area you are in your activities and actions, some places are safe at night.

Transportation is manageable taxis are affordable and available most places. Jeepneys are all over the place but not so safe.

If you don't mind living outside of the city say an hour or less out things would be better IMO.

Know this, with all the bad there is much more good and you will have a great two months!!!  :dance:

• Like 1

worldwander
Posted
Posted

Living outside the city makes sense to me. I'm in Cebu City right now, but am open to going all over the island.

The main thing that I need to know is which places outside the city to consider. So far, I have one suggestion: Macatan

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Anywhere across the bridges would probably suit.  Access to transport such as trikes and taxis in the more far flung beach areas of Mactan can be dicey at times though - the return trip that is. 

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

If you want to go to a beach or resort on Mactan, taxi would be your best bet, you can get trikes and even jeepneys but unless you no the area you could end up any where. Keep in mind also that there is always a charge to enter these places and don't bother going on the week ends unless you like crowds, screaming kids and loud music because that is what you will get. I don't think much of the beaches here, most are dirty but the water seems to be clean without to much litter in it. I would think going north or south on Cebu Island would be more fun or even a couple of days on Bohol.

• Like 2

worldwander
Posted
Posted

If you want to go to a beach or resort on Mactan, taxi would be your best bet, you can get trikes and even jeepneys but unless you no the area you could end up any where. Keep in mind also that there is always a charge to enter these places and don't bother going on the week ends unless you like crowds, screaming kids and loud music because that is what you will get. I don't think much of the beaches here, most are dirty but the water seems to be clean without to much litter in it. I would think going north or south on Cebu Island would be more fun or even a couple of days on Bohol.

Got it. Any specific recommendations for towns/cities/neighborhoods north or south that are nice?

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Got it. Any specific recommendations for towns/cities/neighborhoods north or south that are nice?

Well if you want to travel the island I would suggest just do a loop around it, starting in Cebu and follow the coast rd,transport will be a problem, there are buses and Vhires but if I was going that path I think I would hire a car, would be much easier and you would be able to stop at any place that suits you. You will not find too much night life out side of Cebu and I wouldn't want to be strolling around any of these small towns after dark either and also it would make it much easier if you have a local with you to explain how things work here. Good luck with what ever you do and have fun

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Hello, I'm interested in staying in Cebu for a month or two and would like advice on areas to consider.

Are we talking about exploring for a destination to live or just tourist like info? Do you want to spend the whole month or two in the same location? 

• Like 1

Hesalright
Posted
Posted

Hi

I wouldn't bother staying in Cebu City or Mactan if you want nice scenery ( Mactan is just a reclaimed mangrove swamp in my opinion)

I would head north up to malapascua or south to Oslob. Or if you can get out of Cebu go to Bohol and stay near Alona beach if you like the night life