Need Advice On Benefit Entitlement.

Kevin Freeman
Posted
Posted

Hello fellow Expats one and all,

My Name is Kevin, l am 58yrs old, l have visited the Philippines, 7 times in the last few years (I have a partner there "Victoria" 49yrs old) and it is my sincere wish to move and settle down there with her in the very near future (just returned 26th Feb) after my most recent visit to see her.. 

I found this site whilst looking for help and advice for my proposed move in October.   My plan was to move later, but l have been diagnosed with "Prostate Cancer"  and given an average 5 years to live (Oct 13) so everything has been moved forward.so l just want some honest help and advice on certain matters, we have a place to live (she owns and runs a SariSari), it is my wish to help improve her and her sons  life and end my years there with here, l have been forced to stop work because l also have acute osteoarthritis (Phil climate brings great relief) and my mobility is somewhat restricted here in UK because of climate, but is much improved when in Philippines, l have sufficient savings and pensions but am not sure of "Benefit Entitlement" so l need advice on that matter. Any help would be gratefully accepted.

I am Ex Army and served 9 years in various tropics, l am an ex occupational health medic and security officer, my hobbies are gardening (that will be a great challenge), Music and reading, l am usually a quite and private person but feel the need to reach out as l need advise from all that experience and knowledge that is out there.

Many  Thanks

Kevin Freeman. 

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum! I took the liberty of moving your topic to a more appropriate category since the Introductions threads close automatically after a couple days.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Hi there Kevin and welcome to the forum too,

First so sorry to read your news ,

Benefits, well thats another story , i have no idea what you are receiving and if they can be transferred too, i am sure others will be along to advice you better,

But if you are claiming benefits already have you asked those people  can these be transferred  ,

Good luck

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Hi Kevin, welcome to the forum, hope everything works out for you and I am sure someone will be able to answer your benefit question, good luck to you

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
My plan was to move later, but l have been diagnosed with "Prostate Cancer" and given an average 5 years to live
Sorry to hear that.

I suppouse you know nowadays there are several treatments, which can delay the death much or even cure. Rather many cases are delayed so much so they even die by OTHER reason finaly.  But some of the treatments have very bad side effects, so some prefer to live some shorter to not get them. 

Beside the "western medecin" alternatives, which I suppouse you know of, you can try:

/meds made of malunggay seeds(/root ?).   According to some sourses it can help against prostate cancer in specific plus reduce the side effects of "western medecin" cancer treatments in general.

/papaya fruit trigger production of oestrogen in male bodies too. Only my own theory   :)   but I suppouse it can be used too, because some of the "western medecin" against prostate cancer include oestrogen.

-

I don't know about UK benefits, but in SOME countries they are reduced/lost   :bash:  if living abroad* (official) more than 6 months per year, so perhaps not tell the UK officials   :)        (I know some Americans have made arrangements so it LOOK as they still live mainly in USA. I believe some Swedes living in Thailand have done similar.)

*INSIDE European Union it's an agreement the benefits are kept if move to other EU countries too. I suppouse UK have joined that too.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
  *INSIDE European Union it's an agreement the benefits are kept if move to other EU countries too. I suppouse UK have joined that too.

Not so Thomas, the UK are being very Strict on Pensions and benefits abroad.Tomorrow I will send  the OP some links and details of the current UK Situation. Whilst the UK does have a Social Insurance Agreement with the PI, the benefit situation is as you say, is very cloudy and needs to be studied hard.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Welcome to the forum Kevin

Sorry to hear of your situation. It is a brave decision to make on your part to contemplate a move.

The system in UK is changing quite rapidly as you may be aware.

There are lot of other things to take into account in Philippines too.

While I cannot offer you advice, having not yet made the move, I wish you all the best.

I'm sure as an expat, Jack will be able to offer you more advice.

Just found this hope it may help....

https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/overview

https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/where-you-can-claim-benefits

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

Kevin Freeman
Posted
Posted

Hi and thank you all for your greetings, l have tried GOV UK but to little success, l am waiting a reply to a query l sent to the British Consulate in Manila, If anyone can advise me it should be them. Once again thank you one and all and for moving my query to the correct location (Very new to this game so will take time to  learn the different protocols)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
l have tried GOV UK but to little success,

Not easy I know, to get to the right department. I am still looking into a bundle for you but my connection is just about at it's worst and things get difficult, hang in there and lets see what we can sort out for you.  :thumbsup:  What ever you may be entitled to should be back dated so no Worries on that score. 

JP :tiphat:

Diver Dan
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Kevin and good luck with your medical issues. The Dutch owner/ developer of the beach resort next door to us in Leyte passed a few years back of prostate cancer. He had an aversion to Docters so it went undiscovered until it was too late. Hopefully yours will turn out to give you more time and you'll be able to spend that time doing what you enjoy most in the tropics enjoying life. Steve Jobs (Apple founder) said "once you realize your going to die (and we all are) then there's no reason to avoid risk" so pull out the stops and live while you can.

Cheers!