Moving From Thailand After 12 Years. Where In Ph Would Suit Me

Zazz
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I'm moving from Thailand after 12 years. I'm 45 years old and have a budget on approx P120 000 per month. I'm planning to travel to PH (first time) for a few months research and want your suggestion where to start to look.

I'm looking for a place where I can find

1, A modern beachfront one-bed condo with a large balcony

2, In a high rise building (earthquakes - danger?)

3, Located in the center of town.

4, Crawling distance to shops, malls bars, gogos and where expats hang around.

Thanks,

Zazz

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Seeing your listing Pattaya as your location, and what your looking for, Boracay sounds like the place. Bring your credit card :cheersty:

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The New Member asked a simple question about where to live in the Philippines - one that's been asked countless times here. If you want to help with advice on the best place to live based upon the criteria provided, do so.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I cant think of anywhere which is beachfront and centre of town, they seem conflicting statements.  I know there are some nice units overlooking the water in Lapo Lapo and that is not far from Cebus with all the other facilities you are seeking.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I am currently in Pattaya also, with intention to move to Phils in the near future.  I will be interested in your progress and what you think of

Phils. 

If you have not been there before, I suggest you go over for a month or so and have a look around.  If you are moving from Pattaya to get rid of the bar scene (which does not seem to be the case from your post), then stay away from Angeles.  If you are still into the bar scene, then Subic/Freeport area would also be a possible destination. Good quality accommodation, bars in nearby proximity. Beach not far

Only advice, take your time, but after 12 years in Pattaya, if you have survived unscathed, you wont need that advice either.

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted

There is nothing within "crawling" distance in the Subic Freeport. To get around you need a vehicle or deal with expensive taxis or cheap unairconditioned public transport that takes a while to get anywhere. If you do not own a vehicle you will have to resort to trikes or jeepneys once you get out of the Freeport to get to the girlie bars in Baretto (a good 10 minute drive from the freeport). I have not seen any condos there in Barretto. The closest is the Marmont hotel that offers extended stay (pretty run down looking to me). There has been some recent condo development within the Freeport's business district but not very many. The beaches are on the far side of the Freeport (at least 10km from the Central Business District).

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

There is nothing within "crawling" distance in the Subic Freeport. To get around you need a vehicle or deal with expensive taxis or cheap unairconditioned public transport that takes a while to get anywhere. If you do not own a vehicle you will have to resort to trikes or jeepneys once you get out of the Freeport to get to the girlie bars in Baretto (a good 10 minute drive from the freeport). I have not seen any condos there in Barretto. The closest is the Marmont hotel that offers extended stay (pretty run down looking to me). There has been some recent condo development within the Freeport's business district but not very many. The beaches are on the far side of the Freeport (at least 10km from the Central Business District).

Barangay Barretto comes close enough.

What I read (between the lines), you want to go to the beach in the daytime, you want entertainment at night. Since you can't get the beach in Metro areas, Barretto comes close enough.

There are dozens of other areas, but probably deficient on the nightlife.

Not you Jon, I mean the OP Zazz. 

There's no Pattaya in the Philippines, but there are areas that are areas that are arguably better. And plenty of us have found them.

I think another more legit question would be "If you weren't living where you are right now, where would you go?" Most of us would stay put, but around Subic is not too bad.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I'm moving from Thailand after 12 years. I'm 45 years old and have a budget on approx P120 000 per month. I'm planning to travel to PH (first time) for a few months research and want your suggestion where to start to look.

I'm looking for a place where I can find

1, A modern beachfront one-bed condo with a large balcony

2, In a high rise building (earthquakes - danger?)

3, Located in the center of town.

4, Crawling distance to shops, malls bars, gogos and where expats hang around.

Thanks,

Zazz

Hi Zazz, well you won't find what you are looking for in Cebu either, there is one smallish bar area in Cebu called Mango Square, lots of ladies of the night hang out there, but I have never seen a gogo bar area here, not like the soi's in Pattaya. Beaches in Cebu and on Mactan Island are dirty and polluted, they make Pattaya Beach look good, the are some very good but over priced condo's on Mactan but not in very accessible areas, you really need your own transport to get in and out and also Mactan is a good 30-40 minute drive from Cebu, not the kind of trip you want to make after a heavy night at Mango, especially in the early hours of the morning. Good luck with what ever you do.

Zazz
Posted
Posted

Thanks Guys for your input.

This doesn't look good though. And this may explain why I can't find any modern beach front condos in Subic area on the net.

Mactan does not seem to be my next place listening to Frozty's description.

Yea, I'm actually looking for something like Pattaya in PH... So i might have to reconsider, if it is as Chris49 says.

Barretto, okay i will research that place further more.