Extremely Honest Filipinos

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

A few times I have seen people drop money at the wet market and people chase them down to return their money (like p100 notes). 

I found that as you get farther from the touristy areas you really see a different Philippines.

I had a Filipino fiance many years ago - when we called it off (long story ha ha) she mailed me back the engagement ring.  It was only worth about $1,500 but she could easily have kept it. 

Poverty does not mean dishonest.  They are not all crooks.   :tiphat:

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I was the one who wrote about the honest taxi driver. I can add to the honesty with another comment. This one is good vs evil.

My wife's wallet was lifted from her purse while riding a jeepney. She didn't notice it until she got off. She went to local police substation and made a police blotter.

Her purse contained a few hundred pesos and many personal cards. The cards were her main concern. Later that evening, she received a call from jeepney driver. He found the wallet under a seat. He said she could come and pick it up. She did, and everything was in it but the money. this was a relief. Jeepney driver got her phone number from one of her personal ID cards.

Evil pick pocket thief but honest jeepney driver.

That's all I don't want to go into a lot of detail.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I  responded to this but my post disappeared or went to another place.

Larry45
Posted
Posted

For sure there are lots of honest Filipinos, but as always, poverty encourages morality to take a backseat.  I've had eatery waitresses save my tip and return it weeks later, because they thought I had accidentally left it.  And once, I dropped p50 out of my pocket and a lady pointed it out to me.  But there's a reason these stories are newsworthy, as so many Filipinos seems to have zero issues with "borrowing" something that is not theirs.         

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

For sure there are lots of honest Filipinos, but as always, poverty encourages morality to take a backseat.  I've had eatery waitresses save my tip and return it weeks later, because they thought I had accidentally left it.  And once, I dropped p50 out of my pocket and a lady pointed it out to me.  But there's a reason these stories are newsworthy, as so many Filipinos seems to have zero issues with "borrowing" something that is not theirs.

This is not strictly a Filipino trait... How many times has this happened to us in our home countries? Yes, it does happen here but some of the posts make it sound like it's strictly here that it happens... And that just ain't true! I can't remember ever somebody returning money I dropped anywhere but in the Philippines... Or someone refusing a tip other than here in the Philippines... And the one time somebody borrowed something without asking in the Philippines? It was returned overnight! Heck, it was only a cheap broom but it did come back!

• Like 1