Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Good to hear.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

There's a lesson here, if you have a rare blood type try to make arrangements before the emergency. The other issue is that, according to the Philippine Red Cross, the age limit for donating blood is 65. But a good source told me that the age cut-off at Chong Hua is 59 which makes it tough since many of us are north of there. I don't know the policy for other countries but there is no max age limit for donating in the US. Something to consider.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Well I had no idea A- was rare here.  It is not really rare in the US.  But the Dr said it was a foreigner blood type.  :)

Not sue if he got mine or got someone else's... but at least I am now on the Red Cross registry and will begin donating once every 3 months.   :tiphat:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Well I had no idea A- was rare here

The most common blood type is Blood Group O followed by A, then B and AB. More than 99% of Filipinos are Rh positive while less than 1% has Rh negative blood.

This quote is from a Philippine Department of Health site.  For some reason my doctors here does not like to give filipino blood to a foreigner. Maybe other filipino doctors have the same prejudice.   According to the chart, A+ should be common here and yet it was hard to find when I was in hospital  Looks like any (-) blood type is going to be trouble.

http://www.doh.gov.ph/content/what-most-common-blood-type.html

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Well I had no idea A- was rare here

The most common blood type is Blood Group O followed by A, then B and AB. More than 99% of Filipinos are Rh positive while less than 1% has Rh negative blood.

This quote is from a Philippine Department of Health site.  For some reason my doctors here does not like to give filipino blood to a foreigner. Maybe other filipino doctors have the same prejudice.   According to the chart, A+ should be common here and yet it was hard to find when I was in hospital  Looks like any (-) blood type is going to be trouble.

http://www.doh.gov.ph/content/what-most-common-blood-type.html

Yup, that was just your doctor... There is no reason not to access the blood as long as it's the proper type... I know several Filipinos back in Canada who donate blood regularly!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I know several Filipinos back in Canada who donate blood regularly!

As do I, but I am no longer in Canada. For the record, I agree with you.  But I have not had much luck convincing locals in the Philippines that you are right.  Hopefully you will have more success when the need arises.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

My wife is smarter than all of us...  I just got a text from John's wife - they still do not have my blood.

So my wife says "I told you to fly to Cebu to donate!"  She did not trust the Red Cross or the shipper (mot likely LBC).  I will check in the morning and make sure it is in fact on the way...   :tiphat:

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Can O- be used?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Can O- be used?

According to all I have read, A- can receive either A- or O- donors.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I know several Filipinos back in Canada who donate blood regularly!

As do I, but I am no longer in Canada. For the record, I agree with you.  But I have not had much luck convincing locals in the Philippines that you are right.  Hopefully you will have more success when the need arises.

Dave! You gotta get out in the sun more! Get a nice dark tan! Then you can tell the doctors that you're half Filipino and, yes, you can use their blood!

:D

• Like 1