Best City In The Philippines (/place)

peavatar
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,

Expecting (and hoping) that I'm looking for the same thing as most (maybe not all) people here. 

I'm looking for the picturesque white beaches & turquoise waters that seem unreal on the photos of the Philippines, quality Scuba diving and hopefully a girl (long term). 

Yes, I think I just described paradise!

Either way with that in mind can I please get people's opinions / votes on the best place to go?

That being a City and/or place (because I doubt you'll get the tranquillity in Cities). 

I'm flying out on the 1st of May. At this point I'll probably be flying into Kalibo. But I plan on going other places.

From the research I've done on this forum it seems Cebu is recommended? 

I was originally going to go to Manilla, because I started off with no knowledge at all. 

Thank you in advance. 

:)

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I'm looking for the picturesque white beaches & turquoise waters that seem unreal on the photos of the Philippines

Then maybe Palawan is where you need to be. Bohol or Boracay perhaps. Most beaches in the Philippines are pebble or dark sand. What I find is a good idea is to watch a few youtube videos of places that interest you to get an idea. Tourism posters will show you what you want to see but often that paradise beach is the only attraction in the area which might belong to a resort and being 150 meters long.

Women can be found anywhere but just let it happen, no need to go looking as it will find you if its meant to be.

Cebu is popular with expats but often the reasons are; reasonable hospitals, nightlife, most things available, BI office and international airport plus a good point to explore other areas with ferry services and flights. You won't find much tranquillity though.

Manila in my opinion has some areas that would be nice to live like Makati but depends on your budget and what you want out of living in the Philippines.

• Like 5

ironmaiden
Posted
Posted

How long are you going to stay? The few really nice white sand beaches are very expensive to stay at. Cheaper places don't look so good (no white sand beaches as Jollygoodfellow said). And whenever it's quiet it will also be boring in the long term. Only in the cities will you find everything that makes life comfortable, decent supermarkets, ... But there it's not quiet and there's lots of pollution. The perfect place to me is a combination of places, a few weeks here, a few weeks there...

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

The perfect place to me is a combination of places, a few weeks here, a few weeks there...

A couple of weeks in Dumaguete which has most of what the OP needs in a few K's of each other, plus some stopping resorts which are not too bad a Price.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.ph/Attractions-g616032-Activities-Dumaguete_City_Negros_Oriental_Negros_Island_Visayas.html

https://www.google.com.ph/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=beach%20resorts%20in%20dumaguete

Just saying  :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

Edited by Jack Peterson

Hesalright
Posted
Posted

Difficult question.....

Cebu has fantastic beaches and awesome diving but picturesque beaches will be owned by resorts. However if you have a few months to explore then you can track down a picturesque beach that doesn't require a second mortgage to stay long term.

My advice for the women is choose carefully and meet the family first, take your time to get to know her a few months at least. Big points for you will be asking permission from the father to start courting his daughter.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I'm looking for the picturesque white beaches & turquoise waters that seem unreal on the photos of the Philippines, quality Scuba diving and hopefully a girl (long term).  Yes, I think I just described paradise!

My partner tells me that all of that is available on Camotes.  Google Pitos sutukil (pronounced like shoot to kill) and diving shop Camotes.

Unfortunately, what you describe is ALL that is there so it would be boring as heII for me.  I'll stay in Dumaguete.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

The perfect place to me is a combination of places, a few weeks here, a few weeks there...

A couple of weeks in Dumaguete which has most of what the OP needs in a few K's of each other, plus some stopping resorts which are not too bad a Price.

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/21575-best-city-in-the-philippines-place/#entry143347

https://www.google.com.ph/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=beach%20resorts%20in%20dumaguete

Just saying  :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

Jack, first link not working?

Thomas
Posted
Posted
often that paradise beach is the only attraction in the area which might belong to a resort and being 150 meters long.
I don't know if there are any exceptions for some resorts, but a main rule is ALL 30 (?) meter above high tide water* lines belong to the GOVERNMENT, although it wouldn't suprise me if some resorts try to claim it's theirs even if it isn't   :)

*It's not even allowed to develop anything closer to the sea shore (without special permit).   A resort is threatened by the ocean CUT part by part of the sea shore, so they built some concrete just to try to stop the sea shore to become to close to their houses, and the officials DON'T found that protection ok !...