Best City In The Philippines (/place)

peavatar
Posted
Posted

Wow, thanks guys, really appreciate the comments. 

Really good job I came on here. I had a look at the links and some of the videos on Youtube for Dumaguete and even that place seems too small.

Which I guess means I really do need to try at the very least 2 places, e.g. a big City & the quieter beach (and hopefully scuba diving) places. 

So from what I can tell Dumagete goes on the quieter beach front list.

Only/mainly coming from the perspective I'm 30 and still enjoy the social scene and a few drinks etc.

(Just really quick, maybe on a side note, I've been told to stay away from the South by a few people now. But I don't think this place would be the South people refer to - http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Philippines). 

Manila in my opinion has some areas that would be nice to live like Makati but depends on your budget and what you want out of living in the Philippines.

It looks like I'm learning most of my time will be 70% in largely populated areas/cities and then smaller periods in the more laid back quieter beach areas. So Manila is back on the list! 

Also, Boracay.. I'm pretty sure I'll definitely be going here as that's where a mate will be for a few days. But he's not into places like Manila unfortunately.

My advice for the women is choose carefully and meet the family first, take your time to get to know her a few months at least. Big points for you will be asking permission from the father to start courting his daughter.

This is also good advice. I had no idea and have seen the advice before. Why is getting to know the family so important? (I could guess but it's best to ask and make sure). 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Why is getting to know the family so important?

Many reasons that you will find out if you read some of the Topics here but ask yourself this, 'What would you think to a guy courting Your daughter and not getting to meet and talk to him?" All Girls have a Dad or at least a Father Figure and a Mom who we hope cares enough to want to know who is or could be messing about, Physically or mentally. 

That's the  PC thing over, now, you will/should to get to know the family if only to save you some heartache and/or cash.

Don't get me wrong but as you trawl through the Pages you will see the same things coming up time and time again.

Most of us here have stable and pretty good lives we are leading but there is the thing called "THE FAMILY"

Come see Enjoy and be happy. Be on some guard all the time. Best of luck my friend and remember, Got a problem we are here. 

If you have done your Homework and followed the little guidelines members have helped you with you should be OK.

JP :tiphat:  :morning1:

Morning All.

peavatar
Posted
Posted

Thanks Jack. Good to get some feedback on that one. 

I guess it's one of the best ways to suss out what they really want / are like (as you put it saving the cash and heart ache). 

Would be good to get a bit of input on the South. As I've been speaking with a girl online from General Santos but that was before I knew about the area and it doesn't seem wise any more. Which is a shame. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Would be good to get a bit of input on the South. As I've been speaking with a girl online from General Santos but that was before I knew about the area and it doesn't seem wise any more. Which is a shame. 

The areas shown on the map are occupied by terrorist groups or fighting a war. Bombings are common in some of those areas. You may be able to arrange for the girl to meet you some place else like Davao city.

Just to add, I believe your travel insurance will be void if you travel to areas advised by the aus government not to travel to. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Only/mainly coming from the perspective I'm 30

Peav, that really opens up a whole different kettle of fish. Most of us assume (wrongly at times :1 (103): ) that guys are moving her at a latter age. So it all depends on:

1. length of stay

2. If long term, do you have income or planning to work

3. Interests (which you have already pretty much covered)

But no matter what, I am sure you will enjoy yourself,,,have fun :cheersty:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I've been speaking with a girl online from General Santos

I'm very skeptical about that.  Girls have learned that if they say they are from an area known to harbor terrorists then there is less chance that their online benefactor will come looking for them when they realize they've been had.  But there are many who are not skeptics who will tell you that online romance is great, Who knows, you may end up living here on one side of the country while your online girlfriend is on the other side of the country. (Yes that is said tongue in cheek but there are people who do that.)

• Like 2

Hesalright
Posted
Posted

Meeting the family will help you in understanding why a beautiful filipina is spending her time with you.

Does she like you because of who you are or is there a reason why she has chosen a dude from Australia to start dating.

This is not to say she has ulterior motives.

In my case...my wifes family was extremely poor and marrying someone from overseas was a chance to improve all there lives. Still haveing issues with that though.

Knowing the full story will help you understand the family so you know what your getting yourself into.

My experience has taught me that filipina's are the most loving, beautiful and loyal woman in the world.

Good luck and keep an open mind

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I'm thinking Subic Bay might be the place for the OP. Dive spots and beaches. http://scubatechphilippines.com/scuba_blog/subic-bay-dive-site/

peavatar
Posted
Posted

Ha.. you guys are awesome thanks again. 

Only/mainly coming from the perspective I'm 30

Peav, that really opens up a whole different kettle of fish. Most of us assume (wrongly at times :1 (103): ) that guys are moving her at a latter age. So it all depends on:

1. length of stay

2. If long term, do you have income or planning to work

3. Interests (which you have already pretty much covered)

But no matter what, I am sure you will enjoy yourself,,,have fun :cheersty:

1. It's really open atm, I was going to get a one way ticket but I think for the initial 30 day visa I might need to get a return. 30 days would be enough to know if I want to stay longer (one step at a time). 

2. No. I have a small income stream that might be able to keep me going but that's last case scenario. 

Yes! I think that's the main point I'm sure I'll have fun no matter what! :)

I've been speaking with a girl online from General Santos

Girls have learned that if they say they are from an area known to harbor terrorists then there is less chance that their online benefactor will come looking for them

Good advice. I'm coming over in the hope that it isn't like this but always good to be cautious. 

Does she like you because of who you are or is there a reason why she has chosen a dude from Australia to start dating.

This is not to say she has ulterior motives.

In my case...my wifes family was extremely poor and marrying someone from overseas was a chance to improve all there lives. Still haveing issues with that though.

Knowing the full story will help you understand the family so you know what your getting yourself into.

My experience has taught me that filipina's are the most loving, beautiful and loyal woman in the world.

Good luck and keep an open mind

Same. Good advice and good to keep an open mind/on the ball. 

Nice spot Jollygoodfellow. It's near Manila as well so it could be a goer. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
It's really open atm, I was going to get a one way ticket but I think for the initial 30 day visa I might need to get a return.

Definitely or an onward ticket as they wont let you board the plane without it.