Pizzeria In The Subic Bay

Sally Salvatore
Posted
Posted

does anyone know if there is a wood/coal fired Pizzeria in the Subic Bay area? I do think when I do make my move I will need to do something and I have owned 3 different Italian Restaurants in the US. From what I see there are a bunch of fast food franchise Pizza shops but haven't seen or heard of any real Pizzerias. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

welcome sally, Not to sound like a downer. But there are lots of topics here about owning/running a business here. Before you get to deep you might want to read a few of them.

As to "real" pizzerias, I have seen a couple, but usually they are located in major malls where the folks with money hang out. For a good go to pizza, the best I have found so far are at S&R (like a price club). Man they are good :thumbsup:

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Welcome also Sally, nice to see a female joining (I know we have some) but always good to have more of the female

gender as members.

Good advice from Scott above. I did the wrong thng in Pattaya several years ago and found it a lot different business

wise in Asia than the west. No matter where you go in Asia, you are left well at the back of the pack, by virtue

of your origin. Corruption a huge problem. You have no redress to anyone.

• Like 1

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

I live in Subic and I can tell you that the ALL the pizza here is pure garbage as is most of the Italian food.  There are 3 real problems. The first is quality ingredients.  Almost impossible to get and pricey if you can get them.  The second problem relates to the first problem.  You have to charge a decent price to cover the cost of your quality ingredients and MANY of the expats here will complain about bad food, but won't pay for good food.  So now the expats won't pay for your excellent food and the locals who have money think your food is crap because it tastes horrible(which means it tastes excellent).  They have completely different taste buds and consider ketchup with sugar mixed in good spaghetti sauce.

Now forget about what I just said and come here and open a place up so I can have some good Italian food and pizza.  I am dying for a real slice of NY pizza and a veal parmigana dinner.

• Like 5

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

There is a tolerable Italian restaurant. Not a pizzeria.

Location would really have to be somewhere like the Robinson's mall to get the footfall that you would need.

There is a seriously good European restaurant (The Castle) whose owner has obviously cracked the problem of importing ingredients. 

Edited by Methersgate

jon1
Posted
Posted

The Castle is high quality and high cost. You get what you pay for. 

• Like 1

Sally Salvatore
Posted
Posted

Welcome also Sally, nice to see a female joining (I know we have some) but always good to have more of the female

gender as members.

Good advice from Scott above. I did the wrong thng in Pattaya several years ago and found it a lot different business

wise in Asia than the west. No matter where you go in Asia, you are left well at the back of the pack, by virtue

of your origin. Corruption a huge problem. You have no redress to anyone.

Not a female, sorry to disappoint you. My dad was Sal and when I was young friends called me Sally and it stuck. Some do call me Sal though. lol

Not looking at a big place, just something small and a small investment. But thanks for the advise, I will definitely take a better look, it is just something I am throwing around now.

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Almost forgot, there is a wood fired pizza oven at a restaurant on base called aresi's.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.ph/Restaurant_Review-g4751237-d1630494-Reviews-Aresi_s-Subic_Bay_Freeport_Zone_Central_Luzon_Region_Luzon.html

Some love it, others don't.  To me, the pizza was horrible.  Much better pizza at Extremely expresso

http://www.tripadvisor.com.ph/Restaurant_Review-g4751237-d812747-Reviews-Xtremely_Xpresso_Cafe-Subic_Bay_Freeport_Zone_Central_Luzon_Region_Luzon.html

Are you planning a visit to this area?

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sal - I think Subic is the right sort of area for what you intend.

there are advantages legally also in that you can form an SBMA Corporation.

Steve is right - pay a visit and reconnoitre. 

A restuarant that seems to get it "exactly right" is Texas Joe's. Right price point (not cheap but not insane) absolutely consistent quality and consistent service - they have been around for years. I would think they could be a useful source of advice.

Edited by Methersgate

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Texas Joes is managed by Gilbert.  I can introduce you to him if you'd like. 

• Like 1