First World Philippines

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, robert k said:

I agree that the Philippines has a good bit to offer but it's not a prepackaged, turn key operation. It takes work and I think that is a good thing for many. If it were so easy that you could just show up and spend a little cash and have first world infrastructure, it would be standing room only. As it stands, if you want first world infrastructure it's expensive if you can get it at all. To ask for first world infrastructure in an area of exceptional natural beauty, well somebody is already living there, wherever that is and probably knows it's value.

That is why I was comparing it to Mexico.  I don't who - but someone - did a lot of work to get certain parts of Mexico setup for tourists. It takes a lot of outside investment and lot of government involvement.  There are some amazing places here...but for the average tourist it is too much effort.  If they open up the PI's for more outside companies you might see it happen.  As it is now... forget it.  Duterete has talked about loosening up on the investment rules. We shall see.  :tiphat:

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Hmmm was thinking the same thing 'Onmyway'.  I think the 15m plus voters that voted for Duterte would be likely a bit 'pissed' at being labelled as 'peasants'.

Seems like he ha the same view about US where Trump has flogged his opponents!

Maybe the people in Phils and US who are not 5 Star Hotel inhabitants may just be expressing their exasperation over years of getting nothing from the 'other side of town'?

As I see it, they are on a 'hiding to nothing' to give him a try. IMO.

The analyses of the voting that I have read (and I have not read all of them) suggest that there was more support for Duterte in social classes A, B and C1 than there was amongst social classes C2, D and E. In other words, more of the better off voted for Duterte than did the less well off. Certainly my wife's family, who are rice farmers and by definition "peasants", voted for Roxas.

At the moment, there is either a Huge Liberal Conspiracy to wilfully misunderstand Duterte and to quote him out of context, which is what my pro-Duterte Filiipino friends seem to think, or he cannot manage a Press conference, or he says whatever comes into his head, wolf whistles at female journalists, admits to paying bribes, and is (he says) bipolar.

We will soon see.

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Methersgate said:

The analyses of the voting that I have read (and I have not read all of them) suggest that there was more support for Duterte in social classes A, B and C1 than there was amongst social classes C2, D and E.

That certainly bucks the belief held by a lot of people that mostly peasants voted for him.  Frankly, I have not read any of the analyses of the voting demographics, but even before the election, I was under the impression that Duterte's followers spanned the gamut, with a larger than expected share of A, B and C1 social classes.

From what I gather (again, not a formal analysis), the A and B folks that voted for Duterte were not really against the Liberals.  They recognized that strides were made in the last 6 years, but saw in Duterte the chance to more swiftly clean up crime and corruption.

• Like 4

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I agree with that. I'll try to find the analysis I had in mind - it might have been in Rappler - but anyway we are in the same ball park.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, MacBubba said:

That certainly bucks the belief held by a lot of people that mostly peasants voted for him.  Frankly, I have not read any of the analyses of the voting demographics, but even before the election, I was under the impression that Duterte's followers spanned the gamut, with a larger than expected share of A, B and C1 social classes.

From what I gather (again, not a formal analysis), the A and B folks that voted for Duterte were not really against the Liberals.  They recognized that strides were made in the last 6 years, but saw in Duterte the chance to more swiftly clean up crime and corruption.

Judging by the numerous vehicles here in Subic / Olongapo with Duterte stickers on them, he had strong middle class support here.

My wife's family was 100% behind him, and they are middle class to upper middle class including 2 New Zealand citizens.  It seems he has strong support from OFWs.

• Like 4