Dumaneddy

NeddySterling
Posted
Posted

Just saying hello - after 2 years flitting between Cebu and Australia now moved down the road to the gentle city of Dumaguete -seems so much more civilised really - BTW can anyone confirm that the CDO office of the BI can now process/accept 13A applications? - Sure would be nice to avoid the Fixers in the Cebu Office - "How much do you wanna pay?"

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Just saying hello - after 2 years flitting between Cebu and Australia now moved down the road to the gentle city of Dumaguete -seems so much more civilised really - BTW can anyone confirm that the CDO office of the BI can now process/accept 13A applications? - Sure would be nice to avoid the Fixers in the Cebu Office - "How much do you wanna pay?"
Well hello right back and :whistling: to the forum. :th_thimage_265775: Please feel free to tell us more about Dumaguete and why you chose it over Cebu.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
:th_thimage_265775: and welcomeWe do have a couple of members from CDO that might know the answer.

NeddySterling
Posted
Posted
Well hello right back and :whistling: to the forum. :th_thimage_265775: Please feel free to tell us more about Dumaguete and why you chose it over Cebu.
Might seem fatuous to say but it is a nicer place - Cebu is much more preferable to Manila but I got sick of people looking at me in Cebu like I was some kind of zoo exhibit. I think because of the transient student population and perhaps higher proportion of foreigners in Dumaguete they don't look at you in the same way. Maybe they really are gentler people - and also they spit a lot less than in Cebu - Probably the rural atmosphere means less TB

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Might seem fatuous to say but it is a nicer place - Cebu is much more preferable to Manila but I got sick of people looking at me in Cebu like I was some kind of zoo exhibit. I think because of the transient student population and perhaps higher proportion of foreigners in Dumaguete they don't look at you in the same way. Maybe they really are gentler people - and also they spit a lot less than in Cebu - Probably the rural atmosphere means less TB
My wife and I live in Cebu 3 to 4 months a year and I walk around all the time and never feel like people look at me strange. Yes people do look at me but when I smile then most smile as well, and the same things seems to happen to me wherever we have been in the Philippines, but we have not been to Dumaguete yet, and I plan to get there next visit and maybe I will better understand what you are feeling then. Thanks and please tell us more about your experiences in the Philippines and Dumaguete.

NeddySterling
Posted
Posted
Well hello right back and :welcome: to the forum. :thumbsup: Please feel free to tell us more about Dumaguete and why you chose it over Cebu.
My wife and I live in Cebu 3 to 4 months a year and I walk around all the time and never feel like people look at me strange. Yes people do look at me but when I smile then most smile as well, and the same things seems to happen to me wherever we have been in the Philippines, but we have not been to Dumaguete yet, and I plan to get there next visit and maybe I will better understand what you are feeling then. Thanks and please tell us more about your experiences in the Philippines and Dumaguete.
Aaah well I guess it must be pointed out that our flat was in Cogon Pardo which even some of the filipinos described as a "bit rough" - If I had lived out near the airport or one of the "foreigner friendly" suburbs it might have been different. Never had any trouble there although we did encounter 1 stabbing and 1 shooting - invariably about drugs - Obviously the sight of foreigner wandering around Inayawan market is a wonder to behold. It's just me - Australians don't like being the centre of attention - we like to think we're the same as everybody else - Septic Tanks of course are different

buster
Posted
Posted

I know what you mean about Australians do not generally like to be the centre of attention. I am the same. When I first went to CDO my wife, then girlfriend, told me " you will be a superstar there. They are not used to white people". I don,t know about superstar but I guess I was a bit of a curiosity especially amongst the kids and neighbours but I hasten to add I was always always treated with respect and courtesy even if the family were a little over protective. They didn't want me going downtown alone. During several subsequent trips to CDO I have spent plenty of time wandering around the City and rarely encountered any bad attitude or even people staring. Generally, people were ready with a smile and helpful if I asked for directions for example. Of, course foreigners have become more commonplace in CDO over recent years.

Travis
Posted
Posted
Well hello right back and :welcome: to the forum. :thumbsup: Please feel free to tell us more about Dumaguete and why you chose it over Cebu.
I am confused by your comment I have never been to Dumaguete but I love Cebu & the people are all so warm & nice & there is so much to do & so many places to eat. Cebu makes me feel like I am home & I never feel uncomfortable. are you a male or a female? no insult but neddy could be either & if a white woman alone then I would think you would get more people staring at you.

Middleburg
Posted
Posted

Hello allI can readily understand how someone could prefer Dumaquete. In the U.S. I avoid cities and live in outer suburbs. Dumaquete is much smaller and cannot begin to compete for someone who likes lots of social options. That being said I think it is a wonderful place to visit. We went in the first part of the year. We drove down across the ferry in our van. Now there are direct flights from Cebu. We stayed At the Dumaquete Springs Apartments. Good value absolute western standards in every way. pool, Austrian style pub in the building. Very nice staff. From there you can get to all parts of the city which is much smaller. Dumaquete has their own forum and the members were very helpful to us for our trip.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hello allI can readily understand how someone could prefer Dumaquete. In the U.S. I avoid cities and live in outer suburbs. Dumaquete is much smaller and cannot begin to compete for someone who likes lots of social options. That being said I think it is a wonderful place to visit. We went in the first part of the year. We drove down across the ferry in our van. Now there are direct flights from Cebu. We stayed At the Dumaquete Springs Apartments. Good value absolute western standards in every way. pool, Austrian style pub in the building. Very nice staff. From there you can get to all parts of the city which is much smaller. Dumaquete has their own forum and the members were very helpful to us for our trip.
Thank you for the information Nathan, if you have time maybe put your review in the Where to stay thread http://www.welcometothephilippines.com/for...php?showforum=9and maybe some information in the Where have you been, etc, etchttp://www.welcometothephilippines.com/for...hp?showforum=35The more things we tell members, the more we can help them to enjoy the Philippines and to not make the mistakes that some of us often make.