Avocados?

Larry45
Posted
Posted

It's nearly in season and we are anxiously awaiting the arrival.  A little salt, some calimansi....guacamole.

When we have it, we eat it with everything....and everything is so much better with it.  I'm headed to market in the morning to query the locals about avocados.  I will have daughter in tow, as always.  Will report back with pics and HOPEFULLY avocados.  How is the avocado situation in your area?  Why is there a 'season' when there really is no season?  I'm out of the loop, in that regard.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Sorry Larry cant help with the technical info as to avocados, just love eating them.

• Like 2

chico2663
Posted
Posted

i have to be the only mexican that hates avocados and guacolmole. but cheers to you.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
guacamole.

Love the guac,,,,,,,,,now if I could just find a steady supply of GOOD corn chips ill die a happy man :1 (103):

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

We have them here in the grocery stores right now. Not sure what the season is.

• Like 1

John Michael Kane
Posted
Posted

Found one ripe one yesterday in the SM Hypermart. Price was 44P per 500 grams. Going to eat it right now, thanks for the reminder. I love 'em!

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

From what I have been told (by translation as English is extremely limited here), avocados come ripe three times a year. Our tree is in blossom now. I imagine that they ripen in the south first.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

My SO had only ever eaten avocado as a sweet dish, served with condensed milk...not for me! I made a salsa with avocado, tomatoes, chilli, and lime juice to have with some fish and she really liked it. Has anyone else come across the sweet version or other odd recipes using this product?

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

I have heard conflicting reports about Avocado's

Some say they are not healthy eating (high colestrol content) others praise their benefit's..

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=5

• Like 1

Czechman
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have heard conflicting reports about Avocado's

Some say they are not healthy eating (high colestrol content) others praise their benefit's..

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=5

They are high in good fats, like omega 3's, good for many many things and do your body good too - as your link states/verifies this indeed. I don't think that there are too many vegetables and the majority of fruits that do more harm than "acidic" animal products do though (esp red-meat & diary: that fat & cholesterol you want to avoid). As always, don't ever over-do anything and consume in moderation and you'll be fine. So enjoy your avocados and do your body some good!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Czechman
  • Like 3