On Being A Dark Filipina Traveling The Philippines

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

very good and interesting article. an eye opener. she one of the country s hope for change. more younge people like her can be a catylist for change.

• Like 4

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
I once asked my Wife (Then my GF) why she always kept covered up, she said it was a Filipino thing, we don't want to be dark, people will think I am poor and from the Streets/ mountains or where ever, well I told her that is just so silly,

When we vacationed in Panama, we came across two Filipino-Canadian couples who travelled together.  When on the beach, we could spot them a mile away because of the shroud of material  (sarong) that the women wore to keep themselves from getting dark. 

My wife likes the sarongs because they are pretty, but she only uses them to sit around at resort restaurants after heading in from the beach.  She likes some sun, but really dislikes the freckles she gets after prolonged exposure.

• Like 1

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Interesting girl....upset that others are judging her, yet still judges others.  She likes dating foreigners, yet gets upset when she is characterized in that manner.  Her hypocrisy would be endless.  She is actually the kind of girl that I would meet in a bar, quarrel endlessly with, and end up taking her back to my room.  In my single days, of course ;)  

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Whilst here in Asia I have seen many of the westerners with young women, often wheeling prams with young babies. My concern in these situations, is not for the westerner nor the young woman, it is for the child that will be left without a father figure when the 60/70 westerner checks out. Is the westerner financially stable enough to leave sufficient funds for the education and life of the child? But still the child will be lacking that fatherly figure in many instances.
In my case I DON'T want a 20 year old, but because of I want to get 2 (3) chikdren, my wife would need to be around 30.  (Otherwice I suppouse I would go for one 40 or so.)

I plan to become 90   :)   or so.  (Most men in my family has become 87-95. My grandmother was rather much younger than my grandfather, but she died before him anyway.)  But of course it isn't sure I will become old, so I will have to plan to cover if I die before the kids are grown ups too.

1. In Sweden the surviving spouse get extra only SHORT time to get chance to ADJUST to the new income (e g by selling house) No difference between men and women, it was changed to of equal sex reasons some years ago.  

BUT if I die before kids become 19, and if it's 2 kids, then the wife will get around 60 % of my retirement pay. But I have been "to good" acountant, so that will be litle in our messure, but rather much in Filipino messure, so they better not get expensive habbits   :)

2.  I will try to develop a business, which they can GO ON handling and earning from after I have died.  The plan is I will work hard in the beginning and handle almost all leading until the youngest kid is 8-10 or so, so less work with caretaking, teaching my wife step by step to handle more and more of the leading herself (or the kids if I will be in shape enough years so they become old enough).  =I "retire" step by step the more my wife get time from house work and learn to handle parts of the business herself. 

3. Because of this I hesitate if geting the big but rather simple HOUSE I want, or something less expensive to be sure it will be fully PAID, when I die.

Concerning lacking a father figuere, I hope they will miss ME  :)       but there are several men in the family-in-law so I don't believe that would be any big problem.  The plan is to settle some away from the family-in-law, but if we have a big house, I guess my wife will let some of her family move there after I have died.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Whilst here in Asia I have seen many of the westerners with young women, often wheeling prams with young babies. My concern in these situations, is not for the westerner nor the young woman, it is for the child that will be left without a father figure when the 60/70 westerner checks out. Is the westerner financially stable enough to leave sufficient funds for the education and life of the child? But still the child will be lacking that fatherly figure in many instances.

In my case I DON'T want a 20 year old, but because of I want to get 2 (3) chikdren, my wife would need to be around 30.  (Otherwice I suppouse I would go for one 40 or so.)

I plan to become 90   :)   or so.  (Most men in my family has become 87-95. My grandmother was rather much younger than my grandfather, but she died before him anyway.)  But of course it isn't sure I will become old, so I will have to plan to cover if I die before the kids are grown ups too.

1. In Sweden the surviving spouse get extra only SHORT time to get chance to ADJUST to the new income (e g by selling house) No difference between men and women, it was changed to of equal sex reasons some years ago.  

BUT if I die before kids become 19, and if it's 2 kids, then the wife will get around 60 % of my retirement pay. But I have been "to good" acountant, so that will be litle in our messure, but rather much in Filipino messure, so they better not get expensive habbits   :)

2.  I will try to develop a business, which they can GO ON handling and earning from after I have died.  The plan is I will work hard in the beginning and handle almost all leading until the youngest kid is 8-10 or so, so less work with caretaking, teaching my wife step by step to handle more and more of the leading herself (or the kids if I will be in shape enough years so they become old enough).  =I "retire" step by step the more my wife get time from house work and learn to handle parts of the business herself. 

3. Because of this I hesitate if geting the big but rather simple HOUSE I want, or something less expensive to be sure it will be fully PAID, when I die.

Concerning lacking a father figuere, I hope they will miss ME  :)       but there are several men in the family-in-law so I don't believe that would be any big problem.  The plan is to settle some away from the family-in-law, but if we have a big house, I guess my wife will let some of her family move there after I have died.

You seem to have most things covered, so hopefully it will work out as planned, but often the best plans laid by man etc.

Me, no great ambitions to set age records, having seen my mother struggle with Alzimers and Dementia for 30 years my

biggest concern, is going up the same track. So far thankfully nothing has emerged.

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
Interesting girl....upset that others are judging her, yet still judges others.

I don't know.  It sounds like she has taken more than her fair share of being judged.  She has her reasons for being upset (might be a strong word...more like peeved), and she is just relating them.

• Like 1