What Is With This Counting Thing.

ironmaiden
Posted
Posted

In another topic I just used the example of a money changer needing a calculator for 53.00 X 100

I always thought that these were just people who hadn't been to school, or school was just worthless here. But even my lawyer, who obviously isn't dumb, can't do simple math without a calculator...

15 years ago we called this the 1 million peso question : how many centavos go in 1 peso? Almost everybody answered 4. Because they knew 4 of those yellowish coins (25 centavos) equal 1 peso... Haven't asked the question for a long time now but I'm curious, maybe have to start again?

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
how many centavos go in 1 peso? Almost everybody answered 4.

So I asked my gf about this and she said 4.  Because, she said, the 25 centavo coin is simply referred to as a "centavo".  She suggested that it is not the fault of the filipina if the foreigner does not understand her.  All the other filipinos know what is meant.

• Like 5

ironmaiden
Posted
Posted (edited)

how many centavos go in 1 peso? Almost everybody answered 4.

So I asked my gf about this and she said 4.  Because, she said, the 25 centavo coin is simply referred to as a "centavo".  She suggested that it is not the fault of the filipina if the foreigner does not understand her.  All the other filipinos know what is meant.

Maybe I'll have to start referring to the 100 P bills as 1000 P bills and use them as such. See if the Filipino logic then still applies...

By the way, what do they call the little 10 and 5 centavo coins then as 25 centavos is " 1 centavo"

Edited by ironmaiden
  • Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted
The supervisor must be well educated so what's up? 

Not necessarily, he or she could be related to someone in upper management; nepotism is rampant here.

A bit off topic, but what I find frustrating is when a store has a bar code scanner, but the clerks are still required to write down every thing you purchase  (item desc, quantity, bar code number and price) on a separate sheet of paper. I've asked a few of the clerks and have only once been given what I would call a somewhat logical reply "Owner too cheap to upgrade computer to tie into the cash register sir". When I walk into a store like that and the line is long I usually just turn around and leave.

• Like 3

forget_it
Posted
Posted

I had the same thing with cases of Coke Zero. Every time, the cashier would open the case and then couldn't count the cans. I actually had one girl scan each can. Then they would wrap the miles of green string around the case. I finally started making a hole in the plastic and putting one can on top and just telling the cashier "24". For some reason they never question this and always tell me "thank you".

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
n top and just telling the cashier "24". For some reason they never question this and always tell me "thank you".

Normally would ask for a supervisor and ask "don't your people know there are 20 bottles in a case?" he won't berate the cashier and ring 20 x the price.  that stupid deserves to learn by buy shortages. 

chico2663
Posted
Posted (edited)

guys that is not just a filipino thing. I have given people the change on a order. Say it's 13.20 on a pizza. I gave cashier 20.25 so I didn't get to much in coins.I would have to hand count it for these kids. This has happened in New York, Boston, Cincinnati, Mississippi,Texas and Las Vegas. I thought it is the dumbing down of america . Anyone under the age of 25 has problems counting unless they were taught by parents.But give a child an i phone and they can do  anything.

Edited by chico2663
  • Like 5

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

There was a female Chinese cashier at this store where we were buying 3 bags of steak that were on sale.  The girl spoke English well, and you could tell that she wasn't new in the country. 

We could not believe that she could not calculate the cost of the 3 bags of steak (each bag costs the same round number) without a calculator, and give change for a hundred bucks.

I know it's wrong to stereotype, but it was unexpected.  My wife said afterwards:  "Watch, she's a probably a good driver"!

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

It was about 30 years ago that pocket calculators became very inexpensive.  In the USA the schools started to allow the kids to use calculators when doing their math, even when doing math tests.  I spoke with the school administrator and asked "How will the children learn the fundamentals of math if the calculator is doing the math?"  His response was that it made no sense to memorize the multiplication tables when the calculator can do it for you.  He went on to explain how memorization did not teach math, and they could use the time saved to learn more "advanced" math.  I think it is no coincidence that college entrance SAT math scores have been in continuous decline in the USA for the past few decades. :1 (103):

• Like 2