What Is With This Counting Thing.

chico2663
Posted
Posted

think you are right of reasoning but was in 90's. i graduated 81and brothers 85,86,89 and sister is 90.

DavidK
Posted
Posted

It's ok with the calculator until they can't realise they've pressed a wrong button. I had an accounts lecturer at night school who also taught in a further ed college. He said the kids were alright until multiplying by ten or a hundred (for example) and accidentally added an extra zero. They couldn't work out the answer must be wrong as they didn't recognise the answer was wrong by a factor of ten.

It's always fun to give cashiers change (to stop you getting it) and watching the confusion spread over their face as they try to work out how much to give back.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
It's always fun to give cashiers change (to stop you getting it) and watching the confusion spread over their face as they try to work out how much to give back.

Or they keep the change you give and assume its a tip and still give you back a bunch of coins you were trying to avoid.  That only happened to me twice though.  First time I let it go and the second time I called him out on it (first time was a cute girl cashier :-) )

• Like 5

earthdome
Posted
Posted

The use of calculators in US schools has really degraded the basic math skills across the board.

I attended school just before the use of calculators became wide spread and thus learned how to do simple math in my head and more complex calculations using a slide rule.

While in the USN I had to frequently do calculations and I would use a scientific calculator but would never enter in the powers of 10 notation. I just kept those in my head. That really confused those younger than me. They didn't understand how I knew the final answer was 10 to the -11. That was from having to do all those calculations in the past using a slide rule and keeping the powers of 10 in my head. Hey, it was just faster with less button pushing required.

• Like 2

gusincebu
Posted
Posted

I too have encountered many of the same scenario,s .. I like to do the math in my head and tell the cashier how much, and how much change , before they get the calculator result ..mostly I just get a blank look , but every now and then i will get " how you know that sir" ? On occasions when I ask why they use the calculator, they say , the boss insists .

RBM
Posted
Posted
         they say , the boss insists .

Ask them to do the simple math without the calculator......

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
simple math

:hystery:  For just one Moment I thought you said Simple OH! OH! You Did, my Bad 

JP

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I too have encountered many of the same scenario,s .. I like to do the math in my head and tell the cashier how much, and how much change , before they get the calculator result ..mostly I just get a blank look , but every now and then i will get " how you know that sir" ? On occasions when I ask why they use the calculator, they say , the boss insists .

I expect this is common. That the business expects its employee's to use the calculator even if they can do the math in their head.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I expect this is common. That the business expects its employee's to use the calculator even if they can do the math in their head.

What would life be without arithmetic, but a scene of horrors? Every day!

JP :tiphat: 

Thomas
Posted
Posted

There was a female Chinese cashier at this store where we were buying 3 bags of steak that were on sale.  The girl spoke English well, and you could tell that she wasn't new in the country. 

We could not believe that she could not calculate the cost of the 3 bags of steak (each bag costs the same round number) without a calculator, and give change for a hundred bucks.

I know it's wrong to stereotype, but it was unexpected.  My wife said afterwards:  "Watch, she's a probably a good driver"!

Well. According to an American research a few years ago, Asians in USA have BETTER result in average in post High School educations than average Americans. That in spite of the parent generation of the Asians have LESS education than average Americans in that generation.

Because of so few Filipinos can count, I would too  :)