Splashing The Cash......

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
It is my observation that the 'very' poor are that way because they would rather be victims than victors.

You may well be right in a lot of cases Dave,

They have learned that the poor relations will always be poor and so will they if they keep giving.

And that goes for all of us, as I found out after I married my wifes family!

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
The first one was from an Englishman's point of view, which basically said that Filipina's married to foreigners were more or less expected to pay for everything when visiting "Home".
TRADITIONALY that goes for the expected most rich in the group UNDEPENDING of nationality,

but some wealthier Filipinos have skiped following that.

I know of quite a few wealthy families who give jobs to their poor relations IF the poor folk will do the work as well as a non related employee.
That will probably be my strategy too, if my future family-in-law start asking me for money.  (They haven't asked for any, although they are very poor.)
It is my observation that the 'very' poor are that way because they would rather be victims than victors.
I don't know who you are counted to very poor,

I agree with you, if you mean the poor, who are to lazy or just sit and WAIT hoping God will solve their problems,

but I don't agree with you, if you mean them, who try their best, but don't manage to get out of powerty anyway.  It's very hard to solve it when not belonging to them with useful contacts or some start capital. It's very hard to earn money, if not having start capital. As some rich American said "The first million was the hardest".

An other from start rather poor Filipino, who has succeeded rather good, told the tip to ambitious poor presumtive entrepreneaurs:

"Move to a biger city, DON'T try to start in your home province, because in the provinces the rich landlords, politicians and traders WILL NOT LET ANY NEW ONE IN AMONG THEM." :bash:

OFFICIALY there are several support programs in Phils CLAIMING to be for poor to get start capital to own businesses,

BUT a Filipino had made a proper business plan, but told very frustrated the program handler demanded COLLATERAL to let him get part of that program!!!   :1 (103):   If he would have collateral, then he wouldn't need that program...

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
OFFICIALY there are several support programs in Phils CLAIMING to be for poor to get start capital to own businesses, BUT a Filipino had made a proper business plan, but told very frustrated the program handler demanded COLLATERAL to let him get part of that program!!!      If he would have collateral, then he wouldn't need that program...

:thumbsup:

• Like 2

ironmaiden
Posted
Posted

It's very hard to earn money, if not having start capital.

But how do you get that? In all honesty, I still have to come across the first Filipino family that saves money. All of the families I have seen so far, if they do have money (no matter somebody gave it or they worked for it) they spend it immediately, even if they know they have important bills to pay at the end of that month (for example school for their children). When asked why they didn't save some money, they got agitated?? Asking around for money is so embedded in the culture here it seems to me it has become a complete normal thing. So the poor will always stay poor and I don't think I'm gonna here about a success story of some poor fellow who made it by working hard...

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I don't think I'm gonna here about a success story of some poor fellow who made it by working hard...

Perhaps not today, but there is always Henry Sy:

His journey from the thatched hut I saw there to the shopping centers he has today is something that amazes even myself.

His determination, his discipline and his thriftiness have produced an astute and street smart businessman who has influenced a lot of people. Including us, his children.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I still have to come across the first Filipino family that saves money

Come to Manila, and ill introduce you to one. Wife has two brothers, both college educated. They have two daughters each, all college grads, 3 nurses and 1 computer something or other. each brother owns their own home and the only time we loan money back and forth is when a large amount is needed for some reason to show a large bank balance.

So they are out there :cheersty:

• Like 2

ironmaiden
Posted
Posted

Perhaps not today, but there is always Henry Sy:

If I'm not mistaken, he is from Chinese descent, not? They always seem to be more industrious, those Chinese.

• Like 1