Splashing The Cash......

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Posted Today, 01:59 PM The people here are doing nothing more than what they were taught to be acceptible... The only way to change this is for them to be down a different way and also why they should accept these new ways... Simply saying so doesn't improve the situation.

Bob how do you go about changing decades/ Centuries  of Borrow Borrow Borrow, The Spanish taught them that, Now look at Spain Broke and still they Borrow. My friend somethings will not change and this is one of them. the longer you are here as with the rest of us, wasted Breath will be your watchword, believe me. :rolleyes:

lecture them, talk to them call it what you want at the end of the conversation it will be, I have no Gas, can you just...........

JP :tiphat:

I fully agree Jack!  We weren't the ones who taught the general population about credit and honestly we shouldn't have to be teaching them about paying back credit...  This has to be taught as they are growing up...  Through the schools, their parents, banking and government...  They have already failed on this for this generation but hopefully somebody will get their act together and teach the young as they grow up.  The only thing we can really do at this point is work with the ones around us in the manner we are and hope that it catches hold!  

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted

It's very hard to earn money, if not having start capital.

But how do you get that? In all honesty, I still have to come across the first Filipino family that saves money. All of the families I have seen so far, if they do have money (no matter somebody gave it or they worked for it) they spend it immediately, even if they know they have important bills to pay at the end of that month (for example school for their children). When asked why they didn't save some money, they got agitated?? Asking around for money is so embedded in the culture here it seems to me it has become a complete normal thing. So the poor will always stay poor and I don't think I'm gonna here about a success story of some poor fellow who made it by working hard...

Not all, one of the first GF I had here was the meanest of the mean. She would never give family anything, nobody ever. She even used to grab the tips which I left which infuriated me.  Eventually she invested in becoming a tif welder, which surprised me she would spend for this. Now she is abroad earning very nice money, no doubt saving every cent.

Current GF although not extreme does not buy much, almost never buys dress, just runs her business and is expanding it.

This is just how it is, had lots of others whom spent everything they had, unfortunately the relationship did not last as I was expected to make up the shortfalls.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Look at me, live in a first world country and can barely save a cent as the cost of living is high and thats what the poor Filipino deals with too.  

Only thing there JGF is that we in our own Countries have a buffer, we get decent enough wage increases to cope with the inflation, these people don't. We may not be able to save but we are living to something like a decent life. also not Forgetting that there can't be may Western Countries left that do not have some sort of welfare System, Something that is sadly missing here and I suspect other 3rd world countries.

I remember in the 70's in the UK the miners president at the Time ( Arthur Scargill) who brought it all down when he took Maggie Thatcher on  said, you can't beat the man that waits for his wages at the End of the Week, "If a loaf of Bread goes up so does his wages" That was true at the Time and for the UK it is still much the same but only if you come from one of these obscure countries that have never paid in but the System is there. Few people live in Boxes now (Only by choice) My heart does go out to the Proud people here and that is a fact.

• Like 3

virginprune
Posted
Posted

The film JGF means is Trading Places.

I have to disagree with you Jack regarding people living in boxes by choice. In the 80's I was homeless for a period and I never met anybody who chose it as a lifestyle. I eventually got out of that situation by help from friends, many people on the streets do not have that escape option. There are more people officially homeless, in the UK, now than ever during modern times. I know the poverty in the UK is not the same as in the Philippines but it is all relative.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I know the poverty in the UK is not the same as in the Philippines but it is all relative.

And that of course is what we are talking about, People get into a situation and in the West there is a way out, yours was friends, others can go to the System it is there but i know that many will not go into a council office and ask for help. That is their choice. Here there is no choice, I daresay that friends here will be in the same boat as most. My meaning was that you just don't see the situation in the UK that you see here, Everyone in the UK is Entitled to help, it is there, Here there is None none at all. Davao is the only place I have heard of that moves the kids off the streets for their safety, Not as in Manila just to Tidy it up.

Having said all that, the Philippines will have to go a long long way to come up to any Type of welfare considerations for the Indigenous people and this I think is what Tom is Hinting at, so we will just have to agree to disagree on this one my friend, I was brought up that don't ask don't get.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

In fact just as an addition, Major City's in the UK are pretty good, the Post Office gave park benches a Postcode(Zip code) number. under UK law to draw any benefits you have to have a post code, so the park bench was your Address. off you went every 2 weeks to the nearest Post office to collect your Giro & draw your money whether it be Job seekers allowance, Social Security payment or whatever benefit you were Entitled to. Social housing was built and many never Occupied because people would say OH! you live in Social city then. So they chose other venues.

Stubbornness is one thing  Pride is another.  :unsure:

Here Naf All. 

And we all think WE are all hard done by, Boy am I glad I am a Brit.

Jack P  :tiphat:

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

That park bench postcode thing I have never heard of, maybe it is a recent thing. When I was homeless no address was required for benefits because I was on personal issue. The councils now are very overstretched housing wise and unless you have children you cannot even get on the list. There are certain homeless charities that do help but only if you do not beg and sell the Big Issue. This is to prove that you have the right attitude to turning your life around. They will not give you help apart from a hot meal and a possible place in a night shelter if you are a street drinker. The problem here is that the majority of the homeless either have mental health issues and/or are escaping from some form of abuse within the family. This in turn leads to poly drug use which makes for a destructive lifestyle.So yes I agree that you can access certain benefits and can get some help but I reiterate that nobody chooses homelessness as a lifestyle choice.

I can recommend a good book called "Stuart A Life Backwards" It is the true story of a homeless man in Cambridge. Now also made into a film....it will make you cry!

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

If you can save and save again, because you dont know what tomorrow will bring, just my way of thinking

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

It is certainly good to save if you can but there is also the case for just doing it. Because, you do not know what life will bring while you are saving.

• Like 3