Luxury Living In The Philippines

chico2663
Posted
Posted

i wouldn't live in malaysia for all the "tea in china." My aunt is visiting her husband; who is a structural engineer.Here is her facebook post.

Was in KLCC the Twin Towers setting waiting for friends crossed my legs and reading a book was told by police a had to stop both couldn't due that.

He was there after tidal wave where england and usa gave millions of dollars in relief. He was made to eat in kitchen because they didn't want to eat with a

white person.

• Like 3

Midniterider
Posted
Posted (edited)

"Regarding the comments about Internet, usually not a concern for me in SE Asia as I get by quite well with a channel bonding solution that combines a 3G data sim and a wifi connection into one stable, decent connection. Without wanting to go off topic for those of you who are complaining about internet take a look at something likehttp://speedify.com/(not affiliated with them in any way)"

Interesting and thank you. However, in many open source media reports I've seen in the Phils Globe has been practically begging the PLDT company for more access to the one and only "tube" the entire country is routed through to Hong Kong that PLDT retains the stranglehold on. I know 4G is LTE etc but when the only tube has a hiccup we can all get the flu at least temporarily. If you're in the Manila, Cebu, or Davao market then you're pretty much hooked up LTE wise but still all will be controlled through that one portal (?). Maybe there is an escape through satellite ?  I understand that even Thailand had some connectivity problems with their tube from Hong Kong as well although I don't understand the situation there and it's not related to the Phils at all. Sill I see even at least one satellite tv provider is out of Shanghai so we're all subject to the communist Chinese version of capitalism heh heh. 

From my provincial location it's occasionally explained to us that someone went off road and cut the fiber optic cable in an accident. We're vulnerable to all kinds of interruptions including "brownouts" and I already use 2 ISPs for some time now paying double for service that is at best only 1/2 the speed of what I had in NYC with absolutely NO interruptions and I had 2 T1 connections at my last 2 residences there. I'm a gamer not some other kind of questionable bizness don't get your hopes up people LOL. 

A brand new case in point ?

http://technology.inquirer.net/41347/zuckerberg-hails-launch-of-internet-org-in-ph

Edited by Midniterider

Jumper0155
Posted
Posted

i wouldn't live in malaysia for all the "tea in china." My aunt is visiting her husband; who is a structural engineer.Here is her facebook post.

Was in KLCC the Twin Towers setting waiting for friends crossed my legs and reading a book was told by police a had to stop both couldn't due that.

He was there after tidal wave where england and usa gave millions of dollars in relief. He was made to eat in kitchen because they didn't want to eat with a

white person.

I was just in Kuala Lumpur this past January and I have no interest in returning.  Aside from almost getting myself in a jackpot of danger by trying to stop 6 locals from stomping and kicking a non-Malaysian to death in an alley just of a main road, I did not find the place at all inviting during my stay. 

Midniterider
Posted
Posted

white person.

I was just in Kuala Lumpur this past January and I have no interest in returning.  Aside from almost getting myself in a jackpot of danger by trying to stop 6 locals from stomping and kicking a non-Malaysian to death in an alley just of a main road, I did not find the place at all inviting during my stay. 

Same for Penang ? Haven't been there yet although urban areas I'm used to and can deal. What prompted their assault ? Was it like the old Elmore James song made famous by the Allman Bros cover "{I must have} Done Somebody Wrong"? Or was it "Looking For Love In All The Wrong Places"? I like that "jackpot of danger" though, sounds like a great title for a film I must say !

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Because this wouldn't happen anywhere in the world.  

Malaysia is such a country of contrasts.  KL is boring as hell yes, but there's so many better places.  No I wouldn't retire there, but it is a country well worth spending more than a month in if you understand and respect how things work there. Anywhere there's a large population of ethnic Chinese you'll have a great time and can be yourself generally speaking.  Outside of that if you are sensitive to local beliefs, laws, traditions you'll get along just fine.  Some of the best food in the world too if you can live without pig products.  Diving, and those picture postcard tropical dream areas are highlights.  I may be a little biased as I speak relatively fluent Bahasa Malaysia and Indonesia and a little Mandarin.

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 5

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

First off I want to say I appreciate everyones candid responses.

I’ve not yet been to the Philippines and based on your feedback I now realise my requirements are a bit unrealistic. So thanks for saving me the trouble.

I will however head over there to a few of the places some of you have mentioned for a few weeks to take a look, as i’m very interested in visiting. The goal of this thread was to get some ideas on places to visit first and investigate as a potential place to move. 

No taxation on foreign-sourced income is also a primary consideration so it does limit me to Thailand, Phils, Singapore, Malaysia and HK. I’m also sticking around SE Asia as its close to my family in Australia. Singapore I don’t consider as a value proposition and can’t stand the heat/humidity, and it feels too much like a giant office park and shopping mall. 

Not interested in being a big fish in a small pond, just want the money i’m spending to get me some wow factor.

As for my primary motivation, as much as I do love Thailand, the best women I’ve met here so far tend to be from the Philippines! I find it's a much better cultural fit for me for a potential partner.

Regarding the comments about Internet, usually not a concern for me in SE Asia as I get by quite well with a channel bonding solution that combines a 3G data sim and a wifi connection into one stable, decent connection. Without wanting to go off topic for those of you who are complaining about internet take a look at something like http://speedify.com/(not affiliated with them in any way)

To be quite honest, I would take a serious look at Hong Kong, and specifically Lantau, rather than Hong Kong Island or Kowloon.

It ticks all your boxes:

"1. The best quality of life (luxury condos/villas, good supermarkets, proximity to beaches)

2. Best restaurants

3. The most beautiful, upper class women for a young eligible bachelor to meet

4. Close proximity to a one of the better international airports

5. Safe"

I have a friend who lives on Lantau, right by the Big Buddha Monastery. He is an an eligible bachelor and his life does seem to include hot and cold running girlfriends many of whom are Filipinas The best and busiest international airport on the planet is a cable car ride away. The beaches are actually pretty good, but you can hop down to the Philippines for a weekend, which is not an unusual thing to do in HK.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 3

chico2663
Posted
Posted

Because this wouldn't happen anywhere in the world.  

Malaysia is such a country of contrasts.  KL is boring as hell yes, but there's so many better places.  No I wouldn't retire there, but it is a country well worth spending more than a month in if you understand and respect how things work there. Anywhere there's a large population of ethnic Chinese you'll have a great time and can be yourself generally speaking.  Outside of that if you are sensitive to local beliefs, laws, traditions you'll get along just fine.  Some of the best food in the world too if you can live without pig products.  Diving, and those picture postcard tropical dream areas are highlights.  I may be a little biased as I speak relatively fluent Bahasa Malaysia and Indonesia and a little Mandarin.

when they threaten a 62 yr old woman for reading in public; there is something wrong. They gave her 3 minutes to pack up.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

when they threaten a 62 yr old woman for reading in public; there is something wrong.

Could this be something to do with showing the soles of her feet if not wearing Shoes/Sandles? I read sometime ago it is considered an Insult in some countries.

:tiphat:

Midniterider
Posted
Posted

when they threaten a 62 yr old woman for reading in public; there is something wrong.

Could this be something to do with showing the soles of her feet if not wearing Shoes/Sandles? I read sometime ago it is considered an Insult in some countries.

:tiphat:

I was just there for a couple weeks, and high heels in public are illegal, subject to a fine. Don't ask me WHY, they just are.