Luxury Living In The Philippines

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

and high heels in public are illegal, subject to a fine.

came across this snippet but it seems for Muslim ladies.

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/In-Kuala-Lumpur,-high-heels-and-lipstick-prohibited-for-Muslim-women-12594.html

cant see anything about non Muslim but ........................

• Like 1

philosophery
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone.

I am relatively picky individual (single) with a few bucks in my pocket from my savings/ pension and I have chosen Cebu to live in for the following reasons:

1) I have found the condos here to be pretty decent at a decent price. I am narrowing my search to either Park Point (Ayala), Marco Polo, Avida or 1016 Residences. Looking for a 3BR+ condo because I have many friends/ family visiting me all the time.

2) I love food and wine and I have found many decent places to eat in Cebu. I love to cook as well.

3) After owning a condo, the cost of living here should be pretty reasonable. I expeft to live well on about $3,500/month (USD).

4) Cebu is a very safe city. I have walked all over this town and never felt threatened.

5) Good weather with a low incidence (1-2) of serious typhoons per year.

6) Cebuanas are some of the prettiest ladies in Asia.

Looking forward to meeting some of you.

Phil

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

The topic title is Luxury Living In The Philippines

If you want to talk about other places or subjects then start a new topic. This is not the chatterbox so please keep on track as I do not have the time to stuff around splitting topics. 

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Oh, $1,000 per month is unrealistic.  If you plan to buy your meals all the time, you better plan on at least $2000.  I live comfortably on about $5,000 per month....but I travel constantly and have a fiancée and 4 y.o. to support.

We live on less then that a month here in England, so living in the Phils should be ok, its knowing what you think you would like and what you really want in life

• Like 1

Jumper0155
Posted
Posted

i wouldn't live in malaysia for all the "tea in china." My aunt is visiting her husband; who is a structural engineer.Here is her facebook post.

Was in KLCC the Twin Towers setting waiting for friends crossed my legs and reading a book was told by police a had to stop both couldn't due that.

He was there after tidal wave where england and usa gave millions of dollars in relief. He was made to eat in kitchen because they didn't want to eat with a

white person.

I was just in Kuala Lumpur this past January and I have no interest in returning.  Aside from almost getting myself in a jackpot of danger by trying to stop 6 locals from stomping and kicking a non-Malaysian to death in an alley just of a main road, I did not find the place at all inviting during my stay. 

Same for Penang ? Haven't been there yet although urban areas I'm used to and can deal. What prompted their assault ? Was it like the old Elmore James song made famous by the Allman Bros cover "{I must have} Done Somebody Wrong"? Or was it "Looking For Love In All The Wrong Places"? I like that "jackpot of danger" though, sounds like a great title for a film I must say !

I am not sure about Penang as I haven't been there before.  I am not sure as to the reason behind the assault as I was not present when it initiated.  Being the type of person that I am (retired law enforcement), I sometimes tend to jump into a situation when I see something so obviously one sided even though I don't have a dog in the fight.  Whatever the person did, they probably ended up dead or at least some serious brain damage from the repeated kicks to the head while he was down.  As I couldn't stand around and watch this any longer, I did not stick around to know the outcome.       

I was just in Kuala Lumpur this past January and I have no interest in returning.  Aside from almost getting myself in a jackpot of danger by trying to stop 6 locals from stomping and kicking a non-Malaysian to death in an alley just of a main road, I did not find the place at all inviting during my stay. 

Because this wouldn't happen anywhere in the world.  

Malaysia is such a country of contrasts.  KL is boring as hell yes, but there's so many better places.  No I wouldn't retire there, but it is a country well worth spending more than a month in if you understand and respect how things work there. Anywhere there's a large population of ethnic Chinese you'll have a great time and can be yourself generally speaking.  Outside of that if you are sensitive to local beliefs, laws, traditions you'll get along just fine.  Some of the best food in the world too if you can live without pig products.  Diving, and those picture postcard tropical dream areas are highlights.  I may be a little biased as I speak relatively fluent Bahasa Malaysia and Indonesia and a little Mandarin.

Sure, it happens just about anywhere in the world and it often does.  I just used that as an icing on the cake example of why I have no interest in returning. There were many more reasons, being a predominately Muslim  country, drinking is very expensive and I enjoy my cocktails.  I also just didn't feel as comfortable overall as I prefer.  Being what I consider fairly well traveled (20+ countries), Malaysia was the only one that I have no interest in going back to and I usually like returning multiple times.  Heck, in the past two years alone, I've made three return trips to the Philippines and four to Thailand.  Having done so, I've decided that my next trip will be solely spent in the Philippines as I've come to prefer it over Thailand mainly because of the ease of communication since I don't have a knack for languages.

Now, going back to the original posting.  I personally think that you based on what you are looking for, you are better off staying in Thailand and if finding a nice Filipina for a long term relationship is your end goal, look for one there that's an OFW (Overseas Foreign Worker).   

• Like 1

Placebo
Posted
Posted

Regarding the comments about Internet, usually not a concern for me in SE Asia as I get by quite well with a channel bonding solution that combines a 3G data sim and a wifi connection into one stable, decent connection. Without wanting to go off topic for those of you who are complaining about internet take a look at something like http://speedify.com/(not affiliated with them in any way)

Thanks for the advice man, really appreciate it!

Though apparently its not guarentted to work in the phillipines

-> here is a part of the response I have got from the speedify-Support after have been asking them some stuff bout their product:

"It will allow you to combine multiple Internet connection for more speed or reliability. You can use whatever connections you are able to connect to your computer.

The Philippines is a tricky area and some people who have tried Speedify in the Philippines have not seen any improvement.

I hope that helps.

Thanks

sucks:(

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Hey everyone, hope this post doesn’t rub people the wrong way..

I run a very successful online business, am interested in relocating to the Philippines from Thailand and would like to know where the best expat living destination would be which has:

1. The best quality of life (luxury condos/villas, good supermarkets, proximity to beaches)

2. Best restaurants

3. The most beautiful, upper class women for a young eligible bachelor to meet

4. Close proximity to a one of the better international airports

5. Safe

Not really a fan of traffic and pollution, but if theres a pocket or a neighbourhood in Manila that I could investigate on my next trip that would be great.

Considering Cebu based on my preliminary research, can anyone make any recommendations there?

Cheers!

I can give you an answer in regards to Cebu City and the nearby suburbs. 

Cebu City is the second largest city in Philippines. It is congested with very heavy traffic and polluted at times the air is so polluted as to be unhealthy.

In the hills overlooking Cebu City the air is much cleaner and there are some gated subdivisions that would meet your needs. The cost would be dear. Figure ~ $2000.00 a month more or less. None of those would be close to a clean beach but would be at least an hours drive.

Those gated subdivisions are safe and secure.

The airport would be about 30min to over an hour from the hills overlooking the city. 

Cebu  City has a number of outstanding restaurants of all kinds. There are a number of fine grocery stores featuring most everything one could want.

Upper class ladies from established family's will not in any way ever give you a second glance. 

Cebu is still a third world city with all the issues that go with that both good and bad.

There are many fine attractive educated Filipinas from nice family's that would love to know a secure younger man.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Cebu City is the second largest city in Philippines.

While Metro Cebu is the second largest metropolitan area of Philippines (barely edging out Metro Davao), the actual city is smaller than Davao and 3 other cities in the Manila area.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cities_of_the_Philippines#Metropolitan_areas

I mention this because Davao is similar in size to Cebu and may be worth a look for those requiring luxury living.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Davao is a very interesting city... I can't say about the nightlife so much because (a) I'm a morning person, and (b) I'm trying to be good until my Special Someone gets back in June... The new subdivisions or the ones closer to downtown all seem to have good internet... There is a mixture of luxury living throughout the city and more luxury subdivisions going in all the time... Several luxury condos along the waterfront... I'm living in Central Park which I assumed would be high end with great internet... A whole block away from where the mayor's house... Hmmm... Across the road are some Nipas and my internet on my phone suxks! Funny thing though... The friendlier people either own the NIPA's or live in the large houses as employees.. Go figure!

Markham
Posted
Posted

To be honest Bob, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of nightlife. Restaurants tend to close early and even those in the big four star hotels such as the Marco Polo and Waterfront, it's difficult to get a meal after 9pm. Most of the watering holes in Matina Town Square close around 10 or 11 but De Boerderij, just up the road, is open until 2am and serves food well late.