Method For Selecting A New Home In The Philippines

Coffeehound
Posted
Posted

I have to question how effective this whole matrix approach will be. First, there are simply too many intangibles. I doubt any approach can beat boots on the ground, and trying to avoid this in the Philippines is frequently a huge mistake. Good luck.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
jackson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Please do yourself a favor and throw that pc model program away. This is the Philippines and things that work in the usa do not work here. 

If you are really determined to stay here. Find a quite flood free location near good schools and hospitals. Close to an international airport.. NO. 1 RULE, do not buy,, rent first IN YOUR NAME to see if you like the area,,, visit the place when there is flooding and at nite to see if there is a rock band practicing all hours of the night..  

Ask expats about good areas, Do not believe anything a real estate agent tells you!!! sellers are liars or stretch the truth. The most important thing is a good roof which does not leak. Condos are over priced here now and are real junk. Townhouses have issues with the walls and roofs leaking.

A location may be PERFECT for you but a house full of teenagers in a rock band will make your life a living H(*&.

An old rule of thumb is to buy the neighborhood. Buy the worst house in the best neighborhood,, Stay away from renters and apartment buildings for neighbors.

Please follow some or all of my advice to save yourself heartache and money

Al 

Edited by Jollygoodfellow

Thomas
Posted
Posted
A location may be PERFECT for you but a house full of teenagers in a rock band will make your life a living H(*&.
Don't forget karaoke :)

(A Swedish-Filipina couple had a house they liked at Panglao. Then the neighbour started a karaoke bar without permit, but the police didn't bother. Drunk people shouting at nights, supported by a karaoke mashine. He moved and sold for half the price he had paid for it...)

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Then the neighbour started a karaoke bar without permit

straying off topic as is my want, how they set up business like this always makes me crack up. There was a guy who opened a generator repair shop,  moved in his tools, put up a sign and everything. Couple weeks later the front had some tables in the afternoon set out and a new sign went for a late night drinking spot. A couple of months went by and some major work was done tables, shade, karaoke machine, food counters the whole shebang. Food stall/drinking place, up went a sign...................all three signs are still there.

I am soooooooooo confused lololol :1 (103):

• Like 2