Lgbtqi+: Life In Cebu As A Queer Expat

Hygge
Posted
Posted

I'm considering taking a job in Cebu City, and have a few questions about what life is like for queer women there. Is it difficult to meet queer women? Is there a community of queer expats? Is PDA between same-sex couples discouraged? Dangerous? Any related information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

It seems to me that about 5% of the Filipino males seen in public are obviously gay. My wife has several openly gay male cousins. There is a very high degree of cultural tolerance. During my months of vacationing there I haven't noticed more than a few obviously gay females, but maybe I'm not good at identifying them. PDA of any stripe is quite rare.

Edited by Guy F.

DavidK
Posted
Posted

I don't know about a community of queer expats but judging from my wife's circle of friends there are plenty of lesbian/gay locals who are fully accepted in the community here in Cebu City. She has a number of lesbian friends who openly live together.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Same sex Partnerships are widespread and seem to be readily accepted (Which Sometimes Surprises me, due to the Religion) but as some and I guess more will tell you , We all have a Wife/Husband who's Class mates/Batch mates are gay, we have 4 in the family and it is so very accepted.  I can't say too much about Cebu as I live on Negros but Dumaguete has a growing number of areas that are termed gay Areas Now this to me can be the only stumbling block, Some Areas and maybe a bar or two have put themselves into a Clique type thing so "Normals" stay Out, OUCH no way Jose, this is where the problem will start, just be yourself, Find your Soul mate, Be yourselves indoors and acceptance will come, we have spoken to many enclave types and they are of the same opinion, Starting a China town of gays will cause resentment where it is not necessary,  Live according to your own convictions but maintaining a level of courtesy to all others, especially at work, Restaurants and such like. Many may not understand.

Source: My sister, who is a happily married gay, UK

For me, get that Job and enjoy the life here, My Signature says it all for you.

I wish you all the best. Hope everything turns out the way you would like it to. :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

Morning All. :morning1:

Would Appear my Signature has disappeared So

"LIFE  is not a Rehearsal it  is for living, So lets  LIVE it

Edited to add signature.

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I was sitting with some filipinos a coupl years back and looking at a beautiful girl.  One of the guys laughed at me and said:  "She is not available.  She is 'her' girlfriend."  and then he pointed at a rather butch looking girl and said:  "She's just one of the guys and a good one."

The girls who like other girls are called Tomboys here and are readily accepted as part of society.  Even the crusty old school retired white guys seem quite accepting of the situation, although most of them won't get into a conversation with a 'queer gal from the west'.

• Like 1

gusincebu
Posted
Posted

When did gay people start referring to themselves as "queer" ? Its a derogatory term usually used by gay haters or the uneducated . .......troll post IMO .

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
When did gay people start referring to themselves as "queer" ?

Refer to television shows such as "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" and you will see the term went mainstream some time ago.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

When did gay people start referring to themselves as "queer" ?

Queer

Re-claimed umbrella term used to describe the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender/Transsexual and general non-heterosexual communities. Queer is the opposite of Straight.

The word is becoming more acceptable than ‘Gay’ especially for homosexual woman and bisexuals who often object to being called’ gay’ which is used more often to describer gay men. It is still often used (just as ‘gay’ is) as an insult to queer people, but is taken with a pinch of salt these days.

Source: spacepostman December 30, 2003 on Urban dictionary.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

It seems to me that about 5% of the Filipino males seen in public are obviously gay. My wife has several openly gay male cousins. There is a very high degree of cultural tolerance. During my months of vacationing there I haven't noticed more than a few obviously gay females, but maybe I'm not good at identifying them. PDA of any stripe is quite rare.

You must be joking......more like 95%.

Seriously, we often joke about this, not all Filipinas are after the white monkey for security but more likely just to have a better chance at  a straight guy.

Seems at least in Cebu every third or fourth guy is a bayot..... Maybe I am more exposed to restaurants, malls where they seem to flock, oh even the hotels have heaps working there.

• Like 2

Larry45
Posted
Posted

One thing OP may not have considered is the resentment she might get being an American.  Just as the Filipino guys are not super excited about us stealing their women, a similar animosity will likely be present in the lesbian community also.  Surely she would gets lots of attention, and depending on her ethnicity, would probably be a huge novelty.  There will also be the same issue foreign men face, with many of the lesbians looking to latch onto her for financial gain.  And of course, every Filipino guy that crosses her path will want to hit on her, and some of that will not be gentlemanly.   So yes, safety could possibly be an issue.  Just some things to consider.

• Like 1