Population Problems

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Mom told everyone though a Catholic Dad was Protestant so she just used the other end. 

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I was just watching an interesting expose on the Philippines, mainly dealing with over

population.

I was amazed that they are suggesting population is rising by 2m per year, that is a

real problem for the country.

Of course the head of the Catholic Church was interviewed and tip toed around the question

of contraception. It was very enlightening when they interviewed a couple of Filipino ladies

from Health services distributing condoms. They really understood the need for actions

such as they are involved in.

Not wanting to get into a religious debate about this, but clearly when you see film of

what some of the poor have to do to survive (scouring rubbish tips etc) then it is clear

they must address this problem quickly.

To watch these programmes, go here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0552y0y/hardtalk-cardinal-luis-antonio-tagle

and here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0552xtt/hardtalk-on-the-road-in-the-philippines

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Only 2 million a year? Dream on. You know what they say about statistics. They do not have a good count of the people they have now, why would anyone believe their statistics? :)

I doubt they would, as fast as they count, it is out of date. The same applies in Thailand. Their trouble is

they run out of fingers and toes.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The Philippine government blames population growth as the reason for high poverty rather than corruption. As a counter argument, for the sake of discussion only, the Philippines demographic is still pyramid shape whereas many industrial nations are becoming upside down pyramids. The developing nations are diamond shape progressing to upside down pyramids. In 25 years, the Philippines maybe the only pyramid shape demographics in Asia. It could become a future economic powerhouse.

What you need to solve is corruption, which starts at the top and works down to the lowest levels. I too grew up a firm believer of Zero Population Growth. Now I am starting to have doubts.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I too grew up a firm believer of Zero Population Growth. Now I am starting to have doubts.

If the Catholics go to ZPG and the Muslims do not then I also have my doubts.

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

What is causing these doubts?

The Philippines is not any sort of economic powerhouse - it has huge numbers of young people, but they are ill-educated and in economic terms they are useless. They can only carry out menial tasks, and there are nor enough of those to go round. The real economic powerhouses are the nations with highly educated populations, usually ageing. Just use the Mark One eyeball - Germany or the Philippines? 

How long before speech recognition software makes the call centre a thing of the past? Ten years? Twenty at the most. What will the Philippines do then?

Edited by Methersgate

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
  How long before speech recognition software makes the call centre a thing of the past? Ten years? Twenty at the most. What will the Philippines do then?

:unsure: Same as they always have done , Stagnate and Blame everyone else. :rolleyes:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

I gotta disagree... I've been traveling around a bit lately, investigating some of the bigger engineering projects for a book I'm working on. There is a lot that we don't see as it is often off the beaten path... Many new industries are moving in to Davao Del Sur and, from what I can gather from those I've talked to, this is happening across the country! In a different vein, I'm going to spend a day later this week at a gold mine in an area that is thought to have a very large mother lode... And another day at a small gold mine here in the province... I'm also hoping to interview a couple geologists in the next couple weeks about what exactly has been determined to be under the West Philippine Sea. For any of these to exist, there has to be a somewhat educated workforce for both the build and operation of each.

Edited by i am bob
spelling

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

When wagering a sports bet in the past, I always try to bet with my head and not my heart-even if it's my team at times I bet against. This holds true for me wagering the Philippines will continue to stagnate and continue to retain it's 3rd world status for the foreseeable future. Now..that's my head. My heart hopes for prosperity, as I think this country is one of a kind and I admire many facets that gives it it's charms. 

Examples are all over-from abandoned projects-not completed, to glitzy spas and beach resorts where foreigners tread-bordering poverty stricken areas-the list (unfortunately) goes on. For once I hope my heart wins over my head, but...

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I can understand that! My heart is being the Philippines taking her rightful spot as the Gateway to Asia... At the same time, I want 100 Pisos to the dollar... Canadian dollar at that!

:D

• Like 3