When To Begin Taking U.s. Ss Payments

Bruce
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Nephi said:

I moved here to the Philippines at 50yrs old. Started collecting Social Security at 62 and am now 64. Where did the time go? For us, it was pre-planned to start collecting at 62 and has worked good so far. Living here, the SS stops when I die eventually. So the idea is to keep the monthly deposits in the bank for the most part. That will give my wife and kids a bit extra for whatever might be needed or wanted in their future.

Ah! Another guy who dies quietly in Phils and the death goes unreported as long as SS is sending checks! :boohoo:Don't worry about the wife and kids.. she has a PLAN! :SugarwareZ-004:

Ram1957
Posted
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Ah! Another guy who dies quietly in Phils and the death goes unreported as long as SS is sending checks! :boohoo:Don't worry about the wife and kids.. she has a PLAN! :SugarwareZ-004:

So I guess we add one to the 6.5 mil that have the same plan. And we wonder why they say the system will soon be broke.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/death-stop-social-security-payments/

Edited by Ram1957
spelling

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

I believe there is a proof of life required by SS if you live outside the US.

The article listed in the post above shows how stupid the US G is. All those over the age of 112 should be cut off immediately and the 3-4 who actually prove they are alive? Give them $10k each for their trouble. Problem solved.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 2

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, robert k said:

I believe there is a proof of life required by SS if you live outside the US.

Yes there is a form if you live outside the US, but some people never let the SSA know when they move overseas. I think all should fill out that form, that article I posted is the reason why.

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bruce said:

Doesn't work that way. The SS deposit can only be accessed by me. So the family here would not be able to obtain the funds from the SS dollar account. That is the reason I save most all of each months deposit in our peso account. We all have to die eventually and my wife will most likely out live me. If not, the children are on that account and can use the funds for anything they might need or want. There is very little value or purpose in life if we do not do something to help and benefit our wives and children.

Edited by Nephi
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
roddavis
Posted
Posted

Just turned 61. I have read the Soc Security website and understand I need to file at least 3 months before my 62 birthday to receive benefits. Since I am in the Philippines I will file online at least 6 months early from my 62nd. Question is for those of you that started to file/collect here in the Philippines.

Does this require a personal visit to the Social Security Office(embassy in Manila)?

Better to have check deposited in a US acct, or use local bank( I have accounts in both)?

What about annual verification's from SSA(I would imagine this is a check to see if your still alive?

I would imagine they would like to see soc sec card with ssn. Birth certificate(would a US Passport suffice?). Maybe a DD214 for military discharge from middle '70s. Expat using savings here until I get my monthy SS check. Thanks in advance guys! :SugarwareZ-005: 

• Like 1

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, roddavis said:

Just turned 61. I have read the Soc Security website and understand I need to file at least 3 months before my 62 birthday to receive benefits. Since I am in the Philippines I will file online at least 6 months early from my 62nd. Question is for those of you that started to file/collect here in the Philippines.

Does this require a personal visit to the Social Security Office(embassy in Manila)?

Better to have check deposited in a US acct, or use local bank( I have accounts in both)?

What about annual verification's from SSA(I would imagine this is a check to see if your still alive?

I would imagine they would like to see soc sec card with ssn. Birth certificate(would a US Passport suffice?). Maybe a DD214 for military discharge from middle '70s. Expat using savings here until I get my monthy SS check. Thanks in advance guys! :SugarwareZ-005: 

Hi Rod,

When, how, and where to collect is just a matter of personal choice. There is no need to file online-especially if you choose to collect through a local Philippine bank. I'm unsure of the proscess if you will have them deposit to a bank in the US.

The US approve only several local banks here by law. I use Metrobank and am quite happy with them. So to collect here, simply go to an "approved bank" and open a US dollar SOCIAL SECURITY ACCOUNT. You must have and take with you your ACR card issued by Philippine Immigration.

Once you have that account open, simply email Social Security at the embassy in Manila at The email address listed on This Page. In the email, give them your full name and SS number and ask them for help. They should call you within just an hour or two and get you set up. It's easy as that. I did it that way at 62 and not one problem.

More to follow in another post here.

Nephi

Edited by Nephi
  • Like 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted

Thanks Nephi for the reply. I'm on balikbayan for the last 2 1/2 years so don't have an ACR card. My filipina wife of 25years has opened the bank accounts locally and just added my name to it. I'll have her check at Metro and see if she can add me on the account. Useful info, thanks! 

• Like 1

Nephi
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Nephi said:

Hi Rod,

When, how, and where to collect is just a matter of personal choice. There is no need to file online-especially if you choose to collect through a local Philippine bank. I'm unsure of the proscess if you will have them deposit to a bank in the US.

The US approve only several local banks here by law. I use Metrobank and am quite happy with them. So to collect here, simply go to an "approved bank" and open a US dollar SOCIAL SECURITY ACCOUNT. You must have and take with you your ACR card issued by Philippine Immigration.

Once you have that account open, simply email Social Security at the embassy in Manila at The email address listed on This Page. In the email, give them your full name and SS number and ask them for help. They should call you within just an hour or two and get you set up. It's easy as that. I did it that way at 62 and not one problem.

More to follow in another post here.

Nephi

Rod, sorry for the seperate post but having internet issues here at home. The anual verifacation is a letter that Social sends you from the US and you will get in usually in June each year. The bad issue here is that the Philippine Postal service is far less than reliable. If Social Security back in the States does not get that letter back from you, they will suspend your monthly benefit until you work through the embassy to get it started again. For that reason, it would be wise to visit the VFW Post in Cebu. Rent a PO Box there by the year and have that letter sent there and you mail it back from there. That way there are no issues with it going missing.

Nephi

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, roddavis said:

Thanks Nephi for the reply. I'm on balikbayan for the last 2 1/2 years so don't have an ACR card. My filipina wife of 25years has opened the bank accounts locally and just added my name to it. I'll have her check at Metro and see if she can add me on the account. Useful info, thanks! 

You will not be able to use those accounts for Social Security. US law dictates that the account is opened by only you and when open, it can be used for Social Security ONLY-nothing else. Also, YOU AND ONLY YOU are allowed any access to that account-period. Best thing is to open a peso account at the same time. Then each month when you go there in person, you can transfer funds into that peso account. The Peso acct can be a joint acct if you prefer. But again, living outside of the US, in the Philippines; only you can access that dollar account and that must be in person and they will not ussue an ATM card to that acc for any reason. That is to protect us from being worth more dead than alive :huh:...

Nephi

Edited by Nephi