When To Begin Taking U.s. Ss Payments

roddavis
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Nephi said:

You will not be able to use those accounts for Social Security. US law dictates that the account is opened by only you and when open, it can be used for Social Security ONLY-nothing else. Also, YOU AND ONLY YOU are allowed any access to that account-period. Best thing is to open a peso account at the same time. Then each month when you go there in person, you can transfer funds into that peso account. The Peso acct can be a joint acct if you prefer. But again, living outside of the US, in the Philippines; only you can access that dollar account and that must be in person and they will not ussue an ATM card to that acc for any reason. That is to protect us from being worth more dead than alive :huh:...

Nephi

I checked getting an ACR 1 card. Didn't know about registering as a foreigner after 59 days of  residing here. Guess it applies no matter what type of visa, even balikbayan. You would think when exiting the PI every year for balikbayan, someone would have mentioned the ACR 1 card. Well thats what I like about this forum. Thanks again Nephi! Looks like I have to go into Toledo and start that process first.

Rod

Nephi
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, roddavis said:

I checked getting an ACR 1 card. Didn't know about registering as a foreigner after 59 days of  residing here. Guess it applies no matter what type of visa, even balikbayan. You would think when exiting the PI every year for balikbayan, someone would have mentioned the ACR 1 card. Well thats what I like about this forum. Thanks again Nephi! Looks like I have to go into Toledo and start that process first.

Rod

Yea, it pays to get all the info as not having that card now may cost extra. Don't kow that for sure but can never tell. It's just a get use to the way to do things here kinda thing. Also, if you change to a perm resident visa, you are required to report in person every year. I think it's during the first 60 or 90 days of each year. We usually plan our reporting trip for the first or second week of Jan each year. Many expats gripe about having to do this but for my wife and I, it gives us a good excuse to go to Manila for an overnight trip of fun and shopping etc. I have found the Manila immigration office loaded with people and long lines. But at the same time it's kind of a kick to visit with the other expats there and their employees are or have always been good and helpful in every way. I have a lot of respect for the immigration workers given the many foreign expats that are so rude and overbearing. Life is an adventure here and frustrating on a daily basis, but for us, we would not live anywhere else..

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted

Any of you old guys with young kids should take your SS ASAP at least that's what I hear and it wasn't even from a Trump supporter. It's a mans world I guess.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Since I turn 62 early next year I checked today to find out when I should apply. The SS admin website says you need to apply 3 months before you want to receive SS and that the earliest you can apply is 3 months before your 62nd birthday. So 3 months to the day before I turn 62 I will apply for SS. Fortunately you can do that online.

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, bang4dabuck said:

Any of you old guys with young kids should take your SS ASAP at least that's what I hear and it wasn't even from a Trump supporter. It's a mans world I guess.

The first half of that I guess is because they qualify for extra payments for children under 18? The rest of that statement I don't understand the relevance.

• Like 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

The first half of that I guess is because they qualify for extra payments for children under 18? The rest of that statement I don't understand the relevance.

When you retire and collect social security benefits, your children under 18yrs of age can also collect 50% of your payment included till they are 18/19. Also one other fact, the wife or care giver can also collect 50%. The maximum family benefit is 150-180% of your benefit. Also includes any children adopted till they are 18yrs or 19yrs old if still going to school. Great hidden benefit that could more than double your base payment. And yes, you have to be 61yrs and 9 months exactly to file with the SSA early.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, roddavis said:

When you retire and collect social security benefits, your children under 18yrs of age can also collect 50% of your payment included till they are 18/19. Also one other fact, the wife or care giver can also collect 50%. The maximum family benefit is 150-180% of your benefit. Also includes any children adopted till they are 18yrs or 19yrs old if still going to school. Great hidden benefit that could more than double your base payment. And yes, you have to be 61yrs and 9 months exactly to file with the SSA early.

That's what I figured he was talking about, it is the 'not a Trump supporter' and 'it's a man's world' part I do not see what he was getting at.

• Like 2

bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted

You know any 60 yr old women pulling them out of the oven lately ? The same guy, a Trump basher like myself has a problem with disability benefits (he believes abuse), is going to take advantage of this technicality. Maybe he figures it's his turn at the till. I think it's hypocrisy, that or fix the rule so it turns off at a certain age and get rid of the electoral college while they are at it. Besides kids are a TAXBREAK already. He's my friend so I'll opt that he is just getting even, let's hope. F technicalities.

robert k
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, bang4dabuck said:

You know any 60 yr old women pulling them out of the oven lately ? The same guy, a Trump basher like myself has a problem with disability benefits (he believes abuse), is going to take advantage of this technicality. Maybe he figures it's his turn at the till. I think it's hypocrisy, that or fix the rule so it turns off at a certain age and get rid of the electoral college while they are at it. Besides kids are a TAXBREAK already. He's my friend so I'll opt that he is just getting even, let's hope. F technicalities.

Your tolerance of the older husband younger woman couples is inspiring.

• Like 1

bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

Your tolerance of the older husband younger woman couples is inspiring.

No, I'm ok with it but to me it's a glitch, this benefit and probably hardly used. Abused yes, in my book. I just hate hypocrisy and to use GETTING EVEN as an excuse is a cop out.